Beaconwood
Beaconwood

by Yield USER (2 Reviews)
October 8th, 2006 | 6 replies | 1,481 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is a wonderful debut. It is full of great songs. The instrumentals are great and the lyrics are wonderful.

Beaconwood is a great new bluegrass band based in Greensboro, North Carolina. They began playing 2003 in Bennett Sullivan’s basement. This is their first album and they consist of the following people. Bennett Sullivan is plays the banjo, guitar, and does harmony vocals. Ryan Stanford plays the guitar, double bass, and also sings harmony vocals. Last but not least, Eric Robertson sings lead and plays mandolin and the guitar. This is Beaconwood.

The Almond Song (3:38) – The first song on this album is a great instrumental. It starts out fast and loud. Then all of a sudden, everything stops and a quiet melody by the mandolin accompanied by the bass sets in. This is the pattern of the song and is nice but the parts are too much alike, which brings down the song. It is a great intro to the album and not a bad instrumental. I give it a 3.5/5.

Not Found (5:44) – Not Found is a song about that basically goes on the theme of a boy losing his faith due to the loss of his father. However it is a faith that he had never found. It is a soft song and is very appealing and is a great follow up to the opening track. However, it is a little repetitive. I give it a 4/5.

Ode to Wayne (3:18) – This song is about a man who consistently breaks the law for the woman he loves. He talks about how he has spent time in jail for breaking a man’s window and waiting outside of another man’s house with a baseball bat due to an insult. It is a funny little love song and I give it a 4/5.

Ol’ Joe Clark (3:20) – This song is a very different instrumental from The Almond Song. It reminds me of if you knew Ol’ Joe Clark then he would be the guy that hunted outside of season, a man who lives in the county where the county sheriff is his brother. It is much better than The Almond Song. A wonderful song, I give it a 5/5.

Bury Me Beneath the Willow (3:42) – This is a traditional bluegrass song about a how a man will never meet his true love until heaven above. In the chorus he asks to be buried beneath the willow tree so that his love may know where he sleeps. It is short and beautiful, I give it a 5/5.

Summertime (4:30) – Another instrumental, this is a rendition of a classic Gershwin tune. This is a good song with a nice beat to it, but it is wrong that it is put after such a good song. I would have to say this is a filler track, but a nice one. I give it a 3.5/5.

The Next Song (4:02) – This song is about playing a show from his point of view. It is about how the people in the audience dance along, have a fun, carefree time. But on his side of the stage, it’s a job. This song’s title isn’t meant to be a joke. It is from the chorus where the singer says that he hopes that the audience will find something in the next song. I give this song a 4/5.

Salt Creek (3:17) – This is another great instrumental. It is a rendition of a fiddling tune and is wonderful. The whole song is fast and an overall great listen. I give it a 5/5.

El Cumbanchero (3:30) – This song is another instrumental and it has a very happy feeling to it. At some points it seems as if they would play this at a bull fight or at a Mexican restaurant where the band plays while you eat. It still has that bluegrass feeling and it is very good. Not as good as Joe Clark, but much better than Summertime, I give it a 4.5/5.

Salt and Pepper Shakedown (2:59) – This song was named when the band asked their audience to help name it. This was the best suggestion. Anyways, it is a nice song with a nice melody. Basically, it’s just another nice song. I give it a 3/5.

No Hiding Place (2:56) – This song is about how the man went to hide himself, but there was no where to hide. Pretty self explanatory. It is a change from ten minutes of instrumentals and it is also a good song. I give it a 4/5.

Angeline the Baker (2:52) – This is a nice song with a steady tempo. It is a very nice song that begins to build near the end and then finish off the album leaving the listener with a happy feeling. I give it a 4/5.

Overall, this album is very good. It is a wonderful debut. I give it an overall 4/5.

Pros
Ol’ Joe Clark
Bury Me Beneath the Willow
Salt Creek

Cons
Salt and Pepper Shakedown
Summertime
The Almond Song

October 8th 2006

Pretty good review for a first
Track-by-tracks are good for your first couple of reviews, but most people prefer to read overall reviews. It just flows better.

October 8th 2006

I thought this album was more of a track-by-track album. But yeah, I know what you mean.

John Paul Harrison
October 8th 2006

Kind of an awkward sentence. But a fine first review. It's fairly unusual to put a bluegrass album up on Sputnik. Lester Flatt in da' house, yo.

Here's a pic of the album cover, if you want to edit that in.

October 8th 2006

Yeah thanks. I had the album cover, but it screwed up on me. This is about the third time this has happened.

October 8th 2006

YES! I added the album cover. Thank the lord!

The Jungler
October 8th 2006

Cool, thanks for adding to the country section.
It wasn't a bad review, you really need to talk about the album's actual music though, instead of just the story and the feel.