Eve 6
Horrorscope

by The Ashtray Girl USER (17 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 13 replies | 8,333 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Eve 6 – Horrorscope

Eve 6 are a LA-based three piece who are utterly unknown in the UK (where I live) so this review will be from an outsider’s perspective to an extent. They were signed while still in high school and Horrorscope is their second of three albums.

The Band:

Max Collins – vocals, bass
Jon Siebels – guitar, vocals
Tony Fagenson – drums, vocals

Review:

Rescue is a great opener – fantastically catchy with interesting lyrics – ‘like Jessica Rabbit, she collects bad habits, gets her drinks for free’. A good example of what to expect from the rest of album and definitely starts with a bang. Guaranteed to get stuck in your head if you don’t listen to the rest of the insanely memorable melodies. However, Promise comes on next, which is one of the best songs on here and after a couple of listens becomes a perfect sing-along, jump around madly kinda song. Once again, wonderful lyrics.

On The Roof is one of the best break-up songs I’ve heard in a while. Because it’s only from a third-person perspective there is no temptation to go soppy on here, it’s just as fast-paced as the first two tracks and has a lot of truthfulness to it. We then move on to a very vitriolic song Sunset Strip Bitch which despite the anger does not lose any of the wit and clarity Max Collins’ lyrics have.

We then have the true ballad of the album – Here’s To The Nights. This is a superb song, melancholy but not depressing, slow but not tuneless, heartfelt but not overbearing. Fits into the rest of album really well but provides a necessary break. Album highlight beyond doubt. Very nice guitar work on here too.

Amphetamines is quite a manic song, not one of the best on here, but as every song is at a good standard it is still worth listening to. Enemy uses a combination of power chords and short, punchy vocals well to create the mood they want, throw in a very tuneful chorus and you’ve got another great track. Nocturnal could probably do with being taken down a few bmps, but masterful lyrics make this song stand out just that little bit. Jet Pack is the second-slowest song on here, a nice little ode to confusing friends. One of the best choruses here.

Nightmare is quite an odd song, but good verses and intriguing lyrics ensure that by this stage of the album the slightly repetitive guitar and bass lines do not ruin the songs. Bang is a welcome change, quite a different sound from the rest of the album with a nice ongoing theme about Thelma and Louise. Possibly would be the chorus that will stay in your head once you’ve heard the whole album. A very nice description of the explosions that can occur when falling in love. Girl Eyes keeps up the slightly different feel the last section of the record has. A highly simple melody, but Collins pulls it off. Possibly not the best track to end on, but it certainly keeps the standard up. More of a solo here than on many of the tracks.

Track Picks:

Promise
On The Roof
Here’s To The Nights
Bang

Conclusion:

This is a great album, it’s consistently well written and catchy, and the lyrics are some of the best I’ve seen in a long while. There are no completely weak songs on this album, they would all get at least 3/5. The instrument playing is not inspired, but it’s not bad either and it certainly suits the band’s purpose. The singing is good, not great but fine to listen to. What really makes this album is the quality of the melodies and the lyrics, every single song has brilliantly written verses and chorus, plus great lyrics every time. Worth a listen for anyone who wants something fast and energetic or anyone who has an interest in lyrics.

Overall Rating 4/5

Tom Vek We Have SoundMercury Rev All Is Dream
Alanis Morissette Jagged Little PillBloc Party Silent Alarm
Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magikt.A.T.u. 200 km/H In The Wrong Lane
Porter W. Richards (4.5)
A truly masterful album filled with catchy choruses, guitar-laden verses, and witty; comical lyrics....

sr800bkBassist
September 12th 2004

Eve 6 is very cool. i like Here's To The Nights a lot. i also like a few songs on their first album.

Well_Respected_Man
September 12th 2004

Yes, Here's To The Nights is a great song, timed right you could possibly make me cry.

Kaden
September 12th 2004

I love the song Enemy. He has great monotone vocals on that song.

finalhazard08
July 18th 2005

enemy and heres to the night r definitely the highlights of this cd

Cravinov13
October 27th 2005

This was my first album that I got from my dad. It was actually pretty good. And although musically they are no longer my taste, I still think that are a suberbe band, and ten times better then Green Day.

tom79
April 8th 2006

Eve 6 are I feel are underated. This album is solid. Promise and On The Roof Again are fun songs.This Message Edited On 04.08.06

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Jom
June 9th 2006

Great album, and as others have said, quite underrated. "Here's to the Night" is a wonderful track, and you described the band's sound well - they may not play 'inspired' material, but the material they do write serves the band's purpose quite well.

The Sludge
June 9th 2006

No doubt, its a great cd, prolly their best. I just wish they can make a 'comeback' though, miss Eve 6.
I liked the format of the review, done nicely while not over doing it.

yo2388
August 20th 2006

I love this cd!!!!! Too bad eve 6 broke up

Brain Dead
June 22nd 2007

the cover art for this album is one of the gayest things I have ever seen.

November 28th 2007

Heres To The Night is classic. Never gets old.

botb
March 16th 2008

Definitely one of the most underrated altrock/pop rock albums on sputnik. I adore this album.

suddykilljaywalkers