Review Summary: Pros- Guitar is good
Lyrics are good
Cons- Repetitive song message and structure
Drums are OK
Wheres the Bass?
Vocals need work
Overall not that great but good enough to be mediocre. Just Don't buy
Hi, this is my first music review and I want everyone to be honest.
Like most who people who bought this album I had only heard one other song by Ra "Do you call my name". I bought this album a few weeks ago for $20 so I thought this c.d. was going to be excellent. I was surprised but the c.d. was fine enough to give it a 2.5 rating.
1. Fear- The introduction to duality features the vocals not of Sahaj but of Peter Strauss who speaks softly in to the mic to give it an eerie feeling. By the end of the track it starts to turn into the next track. 2/5
2. Fallen Angels- Ya, this is good the beginning is Ben pounding some chords which is quite catchy, but then it turns in to some acoustic part for a few seconds. That part finishes and then the bass kicks in with Sahaj and you can't help but bob your head at the verses. The chorus is good with Sahaj's melodic voice but the drums are a little repetitive. Over all it was a good song. 3/5
3. Tell Me- This song starts off with a quiet instrumental and then it just pounds it to an awesome riff. The verse is my absolute favorite part of the song; I think this song shows Sahaj's lyrical skills here with the line "Impressive reasons fill the caverns of my mind."
The chorus is a little bland musicly but the lyrics thought out the song are crazy. One of my favorites off the album. 4/5
4. Take Me Away- Like most of the songs off the album the song starts off with a great intro. The verse sounds a little like tell me, but the percussion is very well done by Sahaj.
The chorus is basically just the intro with lyrics and its pretty much average. Over all the song was Ok. 2.5/5
5. I Lost Everything Today- The song starts off with a sort of poppy sound which makes you kinda clench your teeth. The verse is nothing special at all. With the chorus is just more pop. Ironically this is the only song they swear in. the 3rd verse gives you Sahaj's talent with some speed singing. I really didn't like this song for obvious reasons. 1/5 especially
6. The Only One- The song starts with yet again another guitar intro but this one is a little different because it really shows the metal side of Ra. The verse gives an Egyptian feeling which is one of Ra's trademarks and is very cool. Suddenly the verse turns into a bridge which is a little heavier and is just like the intro. The chorus is great and the guitar is especially excellent. Overall good song. 3.5/5
7. Superman- Once again another guitar intro, the first note Sahaj sings kinda make you clench your teeth. The second part of the verse isn’t half bad; a lot better than the first part. The chorus is extremely bland along with most of the song. The major highlight of this song is the guitar solo. The song had its highs and lows but it was pretty average. 2.5/5
8. Love- The other spoken word off the album and I have to say… it is pointless! I really don’t get the point of it. A total waste of time. 0.5/5
9. Say you will- Ok this one of the soft songs off Duality and I some how like it. The first verse is very poetic with Sahaj’s lyrics. The chorus is a little bland but can be catchy. The 2nd verse is accompanied by a distorted guitar but isn’t close in being poetic. All of the rest is pretty boring. This song is one of the weirdest songs in my head but is pretty decent. 3.25/5
10. Got Me Going- This song started off as an album favorite for me but it got dull after awhile. This song sits on the edge of pop and rock but is still pretty good. Anyway the songs starts off with you guessed it another guitar intro. This is another song that gives an Egyptian feeling… well at least in the verse. The chorus is the poppy side of the song but can really get inside your head. Not really that great but good enough. 3/5
11. Every little thing she does is magic- This is Ra’s cover song originally by Sting. This song is a little harder than the original. I’m personally not a fan of the song but its not horrible. 2.5/5
12. Far Enough- This is as metal as Ra is going to get on Duality so don’t expect anything better than Do you call my name. The intro is heavy and powerful as well as the verse. The chorus… let me put it this way BLAND! It really is the worst part of the song and the lyrics don’t much either. The guitar solo is like the intro just variated. The song is overall great. 3.75/5
13. Undertaken- This song is just boring and repetitive the only part that is decent is the end chorus. The verse is a slow part with Sahaj trying a little hard to be emotional and it doesn’t work. The chorus pipes up a bit but still it’s like comparing a couch potato to a bum. Not good. 2/5
14. Taken- The song is basically the same as Undertaken just minus the under part it even has the same message “My girlfriend dumped me, now I’m sad”. I can’t stand the song please kill me now please. 1/5
15. Swimming Upstream- Are kidding me! More leftovers from Undertaken. You think Sahaj would be over this girl by now. Either than that I have no comment. 0.5/5