Van Halen
1984

by keep on phishin' USER (13 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 34 replies | 19,946 views

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Van Halen is a band that redefined hard rock and almost all rock in general. eddie van halen did things on the guitar that were never even thought possible. They were also rather famous for their live shows especially for eddie and david lee roth's onstage antics. Even though they have switched numerous times between frontmen they somehow maintained their position in rock music.

Tracks
1) 1984 - this is just a filler track its just a bunch of spacey noises. sort of a preparation for jump.
I'm not going to rate this.

2) Jump - This is a very popular Van Halen track. Probaly everyone has heard this at one point or another. It features a lot less emphasis on the guitar and more on the keyboards however there is a great guitar solo. this is a very poppy song as far as van halen standards go.
4/5

3) Panama- Another quite popular VH track. Quite a change from the last track while jump was a pretty poppy track while panama is a straight up rocker. Great guitar work by the wonderful EVH. most definitely one of my favorites :)
5/5

4) Top Jimmy - This song has a great intro some great harmonics is a great way to start off a song. After that the song really gets going. It starts to pick up the pace a tad and gets into a straight up rocker. This is a very good and very underrated VH song.

5) Drop Dead Legs - this is my favorite van halen song ever. has some of the best guitar work I have ever heard. I also really enjoy David's vocals on this track.Overall just an all around great track.
5/5

6) Hot For Teacher - Even if you are not a fan of van halen you have most likely heard this song or at least seen the video.starts off with some drumming and then goes into some signature EVH tapping which is done so well.Then there's that classic riff. Then you can hear David talking with a couple people about what the teacher is gonna look like this year. He just talks like that a couple times throught out the song. Then comes the guitar solo its pretty good its just not one of my favorite ones. Great Classic song. :)
5/5

7) I'll Wait - The song consists of keyboards and they're alright its just im not a fan of keyboards to start with.I mean some keyboards are alright at but this one seems to be pretty annoying to me. but hey..thats just me.Then the drums and vocals kick in but still the keyboards are the most noticeable thing in the song. Still has a very nice solo at the end...as usual.
3/5

8) Girls Gone Bad - Starts off with some harmonics kind of like Top Jimmy, but then again not really. Then the song gets going and just doesnt let up from then on. From the ferocious guitar work to the drumming to the vocals its just an all around good song.
4/5

9) House Of Pain - This song doesnt really sound all that much like Van Halen. It actually sounds a lot more metal and what not. But its still a rather good song. And VH certainly put their mark on this one. This is a great way to close out a great album
5/5

Overall this is a great cd. I highly recommend it if your into Hard Rock or just Rock or Metal in general. They definitely put rock on a new level.
great album 5/5

The Rolling Stones Let It BleedZZ Top Rio Grande Mud
ZZ Top Tres HombresThe Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers
Widespread Panic Light Fuse, Get AwayYes Fragile
AeroZeppelin1 (5)

YDload
September 6th 2004

This band was awesome back in the day. This album in particular was sweet.

Arucard
October 6th 2004

this album is my second fave next to s/t whch i will review one of these days
it rocks
hot for teacher just totally blew away my perspective of alex's drumming

Bonzo17

February 21st 2006

"PANAMAA" amazing album!

tom79
February 26th 2006

Great album, probably my second favorite VH record next to thier self titled debut

Digging: Bent Outta Shape - Stray Dog Town

MyRamona
April 1st 2006

Eddie Van Halen is usch an awesome guitarist, Jump, Panama and house of pain are awesome songs. Quite a good little review.

Homesliceman
October 31st 2006

"Hot for teacher" is my 2nd favourite song of all time!(Next to Metallica's Fade To Black). I give this album 4.5/5

Acey
October 31st 2006

Homesliceman, i would put Panama before Hot For Teacher, but they are both good songs.

Whole lotta Led
November 26th 2007

Yesterday, I saw them play in San Diego. They still kick ass.

deroeckj
February 19th 2008

Panama is my favorite one here;
also "Jump" and "Drop dead legs" are nice songs that keep the adrenalin flowin'.

Hell this is probably their best album, but even then, VH is one of the most mainstream, most cliched metal-bands of the 80's, a decade known for its... right you get the picture.

Douchebag
February 5th 2009

might as well jump! JUMP!!
PANAMA! PANA MA HA AH HA AH HA!!!!

I still need to check out their earlier albums.

Aids
April 3rd 2009

The very defenition of an overrated album.

Oh and the review was uninformative and poorly written. You didn't justify the 'classic' rating at all.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

mark7477
September 25th 2010

A classic van halen album indeed except for jump to this day i still cant stand that song.1984 is excellent on other songs panama.i'll wait and yes the double bass intro to hot for teacher a happy ending from the david lee roth era or should i say last great van halen album.

random
January 31st 2011

Panama!

TheNotrap
July 29th 2011

In my opinion their best record
Eddie was definitely on top form. Songs like Jump, Panama, Hot for Teacher or I'll Wait are memorable

Absolute classic

April 3rd 2012

Yes, this rules.

helixrockerkid126
May 1st 2012

Jump! indeed i do, to this album.

ViperAces
December 1st 2012

Jump is prob the catchiest song ever.