New Found Glory
Coming Home

2.0
poor

by John Cruz USER (88 Reviews)
September 19th, 2006 | 77 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: NFG try to grow up and miss the mark by a mile with this uninspired piece off sugary poo not fit for human consumption of any sort. Call it what you will, just don't call it good as this is one of the weakest releases of the entire year.

Pop Punk or Pop Pulp, that is the question when listening to New Found Glory's latest release, Coming Home. Fame, however large or small, can do a lot to change a band. And it can't be denied that New Found Glory have enjoyed great fame in their somewhat brief but productive recording career. It also can't be denied that over the course of their last three albums, including this one, NFG have strayed somewhat from their pure Pop-Punk roots. The change that started on Sticks And Stones stylistically and continued dramatically on Catalyst, which saw the band take on a bigger, fuller, more modern rock sound, would now seem complete. For better or for worse. And what used to sound like a straight up Pop-Punk/Melodic Hardcore band now sounds curiously like a bland Modern Rock-Pop band. And whether or not within the strict confines of this bands genre this is considered selling out, buying in, or simply the natural evolution of a band who is now an MTV staple playing to the little girls, one thing is for sure. And that is this album could use some of that old punk/hardcore energy NFG used to have. Sadly, its seldom to be found on this record.

Love songs, nothing but love songs. And the album opener is no exception. When I hear the phrases "Pop-Punk" and "Melodic Hardcore" it would be nice if the lead off track of NFG's new album would at least strive to meet those standards. "Oxygen," apparently a tune about how a guy can't live without some chick, is just silly patter. And worse yet, its boring silly patter. Sounding like neither pop or punk or anything remotely close, this is just three minutes of sugary, by the numbers sludge. The guitars are modern rock bombastic, vocals whiny, rhythm section a dull thud. Lyrics are dumb. Off to an ominous start at best, but things liven up on the very next track "Hold My Hand." Nothing special, but after the dreary opening track anything would sound good. Hold My Hand is disposable guitar pop at best played louder then it should be by the group, and sprinkled with sing along "do do do's" throughout. This guy wants to hold someones hand and take them anywhere they want to go. I have no idea wtf he is going on about? "You smell like how angels ought to smell" singer Jordan Pudnik sings. And while his girl may smell like roses, his lyrics just stink. "C'mon hold my hand/I'll take you anywhere/Waking up to the green of your eyes is something I'll get used to." Poo. Perhaps in the world of teenage romance this is pretty serious stuff. But I was a teen not long ago and I must have missed this ridiculous part of it. Worse yet on this track the music quickly degrades into a bouncy modern rock like stomp played at 2X speed that only a truly deaf person could appreciate.

Continuing down this dismal path for the next few tracks, "It's Not Your Fault" is a piano driven tune that stumbles forward with a generic melody, generic sounding guitars, and "the sound of two hearts beating as one" lyrics. Sweet. Very sweet. "It not your fault so please stop your crying now" Jordan sings. And if I could have only stopped listening to this drivel maybe I could have. But the four minute "On My Mind" soon comes around to do nothing more then bring more tears with bland riffs, trite vocals, and our guy once again taking himself and his dumbass romantic pains just a bit too seriously for any of this to be any fun. Granted, these themes are nothing new in all of rock. Its just that they need the musical goods to back it up. Songs. Its still the music that counts and makes everything viable. And on this album by pop, punk, rock, or otherwise standards, these tunes have nothing to back them up. And it shows all over this record.

Its the same from here on in. Neither going downhill, uphill, or sideways, NFG are apparently content these days with making music that is not exciting, lively, or remotely original. Even unto themselves. We get the overblown ballad "When I Die" complete with a faux string section and plodding melody and a requisite bombastic chorus and silly melodramatic lyrics (when I die blah blah blah I'll see you again blah blah blah) and the acoustic guitar led "Too Good To Be." Which sounds like a cheesy campfire sing along or a mid-eighties hair band attempt at subtlety. Extreme, anyone? The over the top angst of "Boulders" that once again finds this band turning in a modern rock lite performance complete with a ready made bridge designed to get your arms swaying in the air with a "girl chorus" (gasp) of "I never said that I didn't need you/Put down your arms and wrap them right around me". And finally the last nail in the coffin, the gloriously tired sounding and cliched "Connected" which finds Pundik declaring "Hurry down to me/And I'll make love to you/We'll be connected" as the band pumps out uninspired drivel the likes of which is not suitable for anything pop, punk, melodic hardcore, or what is supposed to be a creative blend of the three. What a shame.

Somewhat slick, boring, and absolutely overwhelming in the emo of it all, Coming Home I'm sure is exactly what its supposed to be. I just wish "home" for this group of once halfway decent punks consisted of more then just warmed over lyrics of "boy needs girl/boy is sorry girl/come to boy girl" drivel, written and sung about so crassly it makes you cringe, and delivered by music so bland and uninspired it makes you wonder where the "pop" and "punk" part of it is. Must have forgot to unpack it when they got home, I guess? But whatever the case may be, if this apparently made for MTV collection of half arsed singles and overbearing power ballads is supposed to signal some kind of growing up process for this band and its legion of young fans, I would suggest they remember that growing up is no excuse for being stale near sellouts of the worst kind, and remember how fun this is supposed to be. If NFG make another clunker like this I'd be surprised if they can hold on to any part of their audience much longer, as this album is devoid of anything even remotely exciting, interesting, or stimulating in any way. An instant contender for worst album of the year, "Coming Home" indeed arrives at our doorstep DOA, and any sort of resurrection is out of the question beyond packaging it up for MTV and giving it a sales pitch on the latest episode of TRL. Get the cameras rolling, guys. NFG have some crap to sell.

Big Country The CrossingVan Halen Fair Warning
U2 No Line on the HorizonBruce Springsteen Magic
The Smashing Pumpkins ZeitgeistBon Jovi Lost Highway
3.2
good
Aaron CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Coming Home is a hard pill to swallow, but it’s worth the eventual effect it will have on the list...

jakestorer91 (4)
Catchy with a melodic twist, powerpop/pop-punk at its best...

Blair Chopin (2)
This is a worst version of Catalyst [and yes it is possible]. All of the songs sound alike, all the...

Wildcatforever
September 19th 2006

Nice Review, so I guess this isn't any better than any other of there stuff so I won't be checking it out.

Digging: Foxygen - ...And Star Power

September 19th 2006

good idea, wildcat. thanks. hope everyone enjoyed the review. still going over it, so please bear with me.

yourstruly
September 19th 2006

You seem pretty content on bashing the non-pop/punkness of it, which is stupid since NFG themselves said they aren't a pop/punk band.

The Jungler
September 19th 2006

The single, It's Not Your Fault, really isn't all that bad. Of course it doesn't surprise me the album sucks. I've never really been an NFG fan.

EDIT: Good review though.This Message Edited On 09.19.06

September 19th 2006

well its in the Pop Punk genre, so I assume they were a pop punk band. but whatever the case may be and whatever they say they are or aren't, this just sucks whatever it is, IMO This Message Edited On 09.19.06

Oddsen
September 19th 2006

Ya, this sounds pretty bad. Nice review.

1. Not pop-punk 2. Not bad. :angry:

p.s. i still lu tho

Oddsen
September 19th 2006

Oh, I forgot to say I don't like this cover. Its boring.

September 19th 2006

alright smart guys, wtf? i already said said its not pop punk. the entire review makes that point. however, it is considered pop punk by many standards in spite of what you think or others might say. its just incredibly bad pop punk :angry:

September 19th 2006

[quote=]i already said said its not pop punk[/quote]
[quote=]its just incredibly bad pop punk[/quote]
You are confusing me.

September 19th 2006

how are you confused? its not complicated. explain to me what NFG is if not a sellout PP band. its only "not PP" asyou say because its completely sold out. i hate to put it like that, but if it were any good i could maybe call it someting else. its in the PP genre at sputnik, it has PP over and undertones, and it seems a lot of PP fans like it. unless they come up with a genre labeled "Crap" i'm going to assume its just sold out PP. which imo is exactly what it is. i think i made that plain to understand.

Patrick

I like your avatar^^

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

omg i can't wait.

September 19th 2006

review edited to suit all the genre hair splitters. same album. still blows

got the info off wikiThis Message Edited On 09.19.06

September 19th 2006

JXD: Did you review this the same way you told me you did with your Papa Roach review?

Jom
September 19th 2006

I was never a huge NFG fan ever, and it seems like they haven't really changed all that much upon reading the review... which, by the way, was excellent.

Conky
September 19th 2006

Yeah I really dislike the lead singers voice..

September 19th 2006

thanks Jom. and yes Kripes, I did. but while that album is fully realized and comes with good songs and performances that back up its shift in direction, this one simply misses the mark, IMO. i was going to throw in how the performances are not bad and the album sounds good, but it would of been trivial, imo. its simply a flat, dull, and uninspired recording to my ears. not a step forward as Papa took, but a step back. and a really poor attempt at "maturity". some of these lyrics are just laughable, the songs dull and uninspired. thats this reviewers opinion. i'm sure there are others who feel differently. it would be nice to hear their take, as well.This Message Edited On 09.19.06

Electric City
September 19th 2006

Shockerrr.... NFG realeases garbage. Two albums in a row and counting.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Yay I downloaded this and yay it's as bad as I thought. I didn't say it before, great review.