A Dozen Furies
A Concept From Fire

by Psyclone USER (15 Reviews)
September 15th, 2006 | 11 replies | 13,115 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A album composed of good music, but extremely repetitive, and very similar to the likes of Killswitch Engage. Recommended only for longtime metalcore fans.

Metalcore is a well-respected and much-loved genre. From the intense screams of Trivium to the wailing guitars of Avenged Sevenfold, metalcore is the genre of many talented artists. However, some of these bands sound very similar. A Dozen Furies could be mistaken for Killswitch Engage if someone doesn’t know exactly what they’re listening to. The guitars, drumming, and even the vocals sound nearly identical.

A Dozen Furies was born in the same place Flyleaf started – Texas. Although their career was short, it was successful. They won the MTV Battle for Ozzfest, in which a member from eight bands (Marc Serrano for ADF) battled it out to gain a spot in the Ozzfest, grab a bunch of Gibson Guitars equipment, and land a record deal. Unfortunately, they didn’t finish their short-lived career on the same note.

The beginning of A Concept From Fire rips a page straight out of Trivium’s Ascendancy, by opening up with a near pointless one-minute instrumental filler, leaving a false impression that this is some kind of progressive metal epic. From then on, it might as well be a single song with slightly changing riffs and constant drumming, because the album is basically displaying that. The music is good. I’ll tell you that. The riffs are a great mix of wailing high notes to palm-muted, pounding Drop-D chords. The drumming also makes great use of the cymbals, with perfectly timed crashes and excellent use of the snare. Many people may have difficulty with the vocals however, which seem to falter in the early stages of the album, with weak screams making up entire songs, almost relying on the crunching guitars and pounding drums to keep the song from bombing. Also, bass is virtually unheard. No signs, whatsoever. It’s all about the guitar, the vocals, and the drums.

There is a song that breaks away from the repetitiveness of the album. The Cycle has unique elements that stand out from all songs on A Concept from Fire. In The Cycle, which is the single from the album (good choice), took the layout from the record, put it in a bowl, and whipped out the automatic egg beater. When the songs will usually be done in the general pop-punk format (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, end), The Cycle starts with it’s chorus, breaks out into the verse, and seems to have (as ridiculous as it sounds) two choruses, and a bridge doesn’t seem to be present. Unfortunately, neither does an awesome ground breaking solo that would give this album that nice boost.

While we’re on the topic of The Cycle, let’s look at how A Dozen Furies tributes Slayer’s violent themes. I’m not sure of what the song is necessarily about, but the chorus consists of the line, “you can’t bleed enough to please my eyes!” Well, someone’s pissed. And it’s well sung as well, with possibly the best performance put on by Bucky on the entire album. The guitars are also at their finest, with appropriate changes in tempo that flow well, and go perfectly with the (again) great drumming.

After the incredible performance put on in The Cycle, we go back to the near identical songs that A Concept From Fire is composed of, with an exception during The Ill Will, the outro to the album, which is just an extended version of The Gift, with chirping birds in the background.

Overall, A Concept from Fire isn’t a great album, but if you’re still waiting for the Killswitch Engage release coming out this November and can’t wait that long, then I do recommend this. If you’re not one of those people though, download The Cycle and you’ll pretty much have all you really need.

Score: 2.5/5

Boston BostonSkid Row Slave to the Grind
3.3
Drunken Viking (4)

September 15th 2006

This is my first review in a long time, so I'm somewhat rusty right now. Sorry if it's somewhat brief.

September 15th 2006

I thought they did. Was the review good though?

And I meant earlier KsE, when Jesse was singing.This Message Edited On 09.15.06

September 15th 2006

Okay. I'll consider that for my next review. Thanks for the advice.

September 15th 2006

[QUOTE=]Metalcore is a well-respected and much-loved genre.[/QUOTE]
No, just no.

Overall good review, but I really don't think that these guys sound like KsE.

September 15th 2006

Metalcore probably gets the most shit out of any metal sub-genre today.This Message Edited On 09.16.06

September 15th 2006

True, but most people just write off all metalcore as bland, generic, talentless crap, and don't respect it because of bands like Atreyu, and Trivium, and to an extent As I Lay Dying, while Death Metal is much more respected. But this really isn't argument worthy. Haha.

loathed
September 16th 2006

very true...there are some really good metalcore bands right there, and im sure some of them took influence from death metal.

Sevenfold
December 10th 2006

Metalcore is my favorite genre of metal... I'll check this album out.. I'm sure I'll like it

TheBolivianessence
November 15th 2007

I honestly think Killswitch is a lot more repetitive than this band. You can't judge a band just because they have a stylistic similarity to another band, at least they arent copying Killswitch.

Zoo
November 15th 2007

This was one of my first ventures into metalcore. It wasn't bad, but eventually, the prevailing factor is........it's metalcore.

Burnyourface
September 15th 2008

I Really dig this album, i think the singer has/had a pretty unique thing going, kinda like alien ant farm on steroids, these cats can definately play... and to add my two cents to the metalcore argument, thes elitists hate metal core i think mostly because its gaining popularity, even though it will never come close to nu metal mainstream status....sure they will say the songs all sound the same, but ah.......Death metal, tech metal, all the beloved Elitist genres have the same drawbacks, its just further underground right now, therefore they have better street cred for liking it.