Stone Gossard
Bayleaf

by Zac Likes Music USER (2 Reviews)
September 4th, 2006 | 7 replies | 2,137 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Stone Gossard - Bayleaf (2001)

This album is the work of a humble Pearl Jam rhythm guitarist named Stone Gossard. You see, Stone has different ideas for music than Pearl Jam. What can go wrong when this innovative musician tries to make a solo project? It was all set to be released on September 11, 2001. What could go wrong? The sales are doing okay for about an hour. Pearl Jam fans are rather excited about their little Stone releasing his own album. But then, suddenly, Bayleaf is hit with a problem. A &@*$ing flying heap of metal decides to slam right into the side of one of New York's big ol' buildings. Nothing else could go wrong, right? NOPE! Another &@*$ng flying heap of @&*$ing metal slams into that building's buddy! Not only will Stone make zero sales with this project, but he won't even be able to tour to support it. No wonder he never released another album. Poor guy.

But, seriously. This album is great.

Tracklist

7. Every Family - (3:12)
8. Unhand Me - (3:46)
9. Hellbent - (3:31)
10. Fend it Off - (3:03)

1. Bore Me - This song is a killer opener. It starts off with some rim clicks and laughter and goes straight into some wacky vocal melodies and dirty guitar chords. Stone's lyric writing style reminds me of Trey Anastasio of Phish. It's just nonsense, but works with the sound of the song very well. The chorus is where you'll hear some Pearl Jam. This song gets you interested in this CD with first few seconds. That's exactly what you want from an opening song. 5/5

2. Fits - This song is super atmospheric. It begins with a fade in of distorted drums that actually sound really freaking cool. A delayed guitar takes it into a mellow sounding tune that appears to have some reggae influence in there. This was my original favorite. I couldn't sing well back when I first purchased this album, so Stone's lower vocal range made the song more enjoyable being able to sing along and all. 5/5

3. Pidgeon - This song won't be as appealing as the others at first listen if you're into the unique sound Stone captures in the first two songs. I didn't care for it at first, but now I love it. It's based around a riff that sounds influenced by '70's rock and '90's power pop. The vocals are catchy and the song makes you want to dance. 4/5

4. Anchors - This song is incredible when you are baked out of your mind. It makes you sway without realizing it. Some visual aid makes this song perfect. It's mellow and relaxing and you'll never get sick of it. 5/5

5. Cadillac - This song is full of reggae influence and is great played loud as hell in a car by the beach. The lyrics are a little lame, but I think Stone did that on purpose. This is the first of three songs on the slbum with a different lead singer than Stone. The song is based around a catchy bassline until it is rivaled by and even catchier guitar lick. This was the first song from the album I heard. 5/5

6. Bayleaf - This is the "ballad" of the album. I love the way it starts out with a screaming, dramatic guitar solo. This is the longest song from the album at six minutes and five seconds. The catchy vocals lose their hook after several listens, but it is still a great song. 4.5/5

7. Every Family - This is my least favorite song from the album. Not to say it's not good or anything. It's just not my favorite. It's based around a cliched blues ballad chord progression. The vocal melodies are vey unique for a blues ballad though. 3/5

8. Unhand Me - This is a dandy song. It made me laugh the first time I heard it because of the cheesy lyrics in the first few lines, but that's made up for with a sweet atmosphere and catchy chorus. This song's a little harder rockin'. 4/5

9. Hellbent - This song is very cool sounding. It's kind of dead sounding, but in a cool, atmospheric sort of way. It's a fun one to sing along with and sway to. 5/5

10. Fend it Off - Definately a favorite of mine. It's a happy ending for a great album. My band is planning on doing a cover of this song and using for a closer because of the way it ends off the album. This is one of the best feel good songs I've ever heard. 5/5

Recommended downloads:
Bore Me
Cadillac
Hellbent
Fend it Off

I give this album a 5/5. Two thumbs way up, son.

Oddsen
September 4th 2006

Ok review. The intro was pretty crappy and i'm sure 911 didn't have that much of an effect on the sales and such. I've been thinking about getting this album. Hes a good songwriter.

Kyle
September 4th 2006

The review is a bit lacking in depth, maybe you could try to work some more detail in?

It's not so bad though, I didn't know this album existed.

Channing
September 4th 2006

Describe the overall sound.

La Revolucion
September 4th 2006

Not the greatest review ever. I want to hear this, though.

Zac Likes Music
September 4th 2006

I would have described the overall sound if there was one. The CD is all over the place. It's just good songwriting. I did mention atmosphere, tastes of Pearl Jam, reggae influence, jazz influence, and a laid back sound.

victim of changes
September 4th 2006

Wow i had no clue Stone released this.

joh soxe
September 5th 2006

no offence, i'm a big fan of pearl jam, but stone gossard? innovative? i ain't convinced