U2
Achtung Baby

by The Door Mouse USER (29 Reviews)
August 28th, 2006 | 14 replies | 7,151 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

1991 was the best year for music in my opinion. Hair metal was basically gone. Grunge was at its peak and alternative rock was beginning to take shape. Oh ya I almost forgot, U2’s gigantic hit album came out. Achtung Baby, attention baby in German, is a mix between house music, rock and some heavy distortion on Edge’s guitar.

Like every U2 album there are at least 2 or 3 standout hits. Since this album is so consistent almost every song is a hit. One is one of these songs. Everyone knows this song whether you are a U2 fan or not. It is a ballad with a mellow soft sound. Though this song is a major one it does not show how the rest of this album is. The Fly is another big hit but very different from One. Yay, heavy metal… well not really but one of the heaviest song on the album. This is proved by Edge’s fuzzy heavy guitar. Bono really experiments with his vocals in this one. His high pitched vocals are a huge asset to this song.

There is also a darker, warmer part to the album. Until the End of the World is a very heavy song. The faded instruments and Bono’s low vocals perform magic together. Edge has a really good solo in this that fits together wonderfully. A lot like Until the End of the World, Acrobat is its twin. Although Bono’s vocals are much more intense it still has that same attribute. Larry’s toming on the drums and Edge’s great guitar solo gives it a darker feel. The last song also fits in this trio of songs. Love is Blindness has evil vocals with a mysterious piano in the background. This song shows how diverse the album is.

While there is a dark side there is a bright side. Mysterious Ways is also a huge hit song. It is probably one of the most up beat on the album. The guitar riff is a reason to love the song. The bass is barley audible but still great. Bono’s singing is like every other song. Zoo Staition is a up beat song but more heavy then Mysterious Ways. The almost Metal guitar riff is the best trait of the song. Bono has a really cool affect on this. Larry adds to that “metal” sound with his drums. He does a simple but perfect beat. The chorus is a lovely happy one. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is a joyful, la de da type of song. The chorus is also a keeper. The basslines are very well thought out in this album. Tryin’ to Your Arms Around the World is a perfect example of that. The melodic bass is flowing perfectly.

Some songs on here are perfectly U2. Ultraviolet (Light My Way) has Edge’s perfect chord progressions and Bono’s euphoric vocals make it a flawless U2 song. Bono experiments with his voice like he did on The Fly making it 2 or 3 octaves higher. Even Better Than the Real Thing is a great U2 song. If you go to your mainstream radio station you will hear this song. Bono uses cool effects as normal but this time he double tracks it perfectly. Much like Ultraviolet (Light My Way Edge uses a great progression to fit perfectly with the bassline that doesn’t just follow the guitar. Then there is So Cruel. Using piano and Bono’s yodeling makes the song the most unique on the album.

When you listen to the lyrics of the song it seems like someone left Bono. Maybe his father, maybe his wife I don’t know. But these things are proved with several quotes.

Originally Posted by One
You ask me to enter and then you make me crawl, and I can’t be holdin’ on!
Maybe with that said someone played a cruel joke on him.

Originally Posted by Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
You left my heart empty as a vacant lot.
This just goes with out saying… Some left him.

Originally Posted by The Fly
A man will bear, a man will crawl, on the shear face of love like a fly on a wall.
Someone really made Bono struggle.

There are many facts that Bono is hurting and he says them through his lyrics.

Album as a whole: I have one word to define this album and it is consistent. You don’t get board and though Edge isn’t a Hendrix, Adam isn’t a Flea and Larry isn’t a Peart they seem like it when they all play together. Adam and Edge have perfect chemistry. The bassline doesn’t always abide by the guitar but they fit like a puzzle especially in the song Ultraviolet (Light My Way). Of course Larry is doing odd heavy drumming like in Zoo Station. Bono has such an intense voice to put it all together.

Pros
It is very consistent
Edge has some really good solos
Bono experiments with his voice making it a lot higher

Cons
Some songs wont appeal to all

Recommended tracks
The Fly
One
Until the End of the World

This is their seventh recorded album and if you can get to seven albums then you are a really good band. If you want to know U2 and want to get into them then this is the album to get.

5/5

Pce

Okkervil River The Stage NamesPrefuse 73 One Word Extinguisher
Explosions in the Sky All of a Sudden, I Miss EveryoneSpoon Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Ghostface Killah IronmanDream Theater Train of Thought

2092 Comments

i hope that this is good becasue my last non tbt did not so good

i kinda feel wierd puting a u2 cd when dismantle was just put on

John Paul Harrison
August 28th 2006

Mr. Zepdude, I think you've begun to mature as a reviewer.

I can't believe I'd ever say this, but your review is the better of the two here. OMFG.

yay!!!!
i was extremly nervous once i saw a comment. especcially from uThis Message Edited On 08.28.06

John Paul Harrison
August 28th 2006

That's fine. The review gives a good description of the sound, shows the reader what the highlights are, and conveys the theme. That’s what a good review should include, methinks.

And I kind of have a soft spot for your reviews. Your album selections and attitude towards music remind me of where John Paul’s mind was at a few years ago. OMFG.

were twins!!!!!! jk jk

August 28th 2006

this review is awesome. I was thinking about doing this but I guess I'll consider the Joshua Tree. But One is about a guy dieing of AIDS and he's finally forgiven by his father. You kinda ripped the lyrics out of context in a bad way. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is about an affair the Edge had while on tour. Not about Bono. The Fly had no meaning. They meant it that way. Thanks for crediting Acrobat for its awesomeness. I sometimes feel that song is very underrated.

^^^ so... is that a pos

August 28th 2006

now that you mention it i guess i will

don't let the bastards grind you down yoThis Message Edited On 08.28.06

JohnXDoesn't
August 28th 2006

this is a nice review, zepdude. no worries

i like how succinct it is. short, to the point, anf tight. something I have been working on myself. this album is greatness. perhaps my favorite of all U2 albums along with All That You Can't Leave Behind. Many don't like the '90s era U2. I think they were just as well as the '80's, if not as productive. Even POP is a good album, IMO. If not great. just soret of unfinished. nice review once again...

2092 Comments

i havent heard pop all the way through and i think they are fine in the 90s and thank for the feed bak

August 28th 2006

I like what you said about '91 being the best year ever. Not only was it the year I was born, but seriously, BloodSugarSexMagik, Ten, Nevermind, Achtung Baby, REM's album, so much great stuff.

my thoughts exactly and dont forget gishThis Message Edited On 08.28.06

Two-Headed Boy
December 2nd 2006

This album isn't that good.

SilverSunRapture