Nightwish
End Of An Era

by Callum Thomson USER (6 Reviews)
August 21st, 2006 | 18 replies | 7,351 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

As the Once World Tour was coming to an end. The final concert was played on 21 October for 11,500 people in Hartwall-Arena in Helsinki. The concert was also recorded to be released as an End of an Era live DVD.
After the last concert, Tuomas, Emppu, Marco and Jukka fired Tarja Turunen, and her manager Marcelo Cabuli. The reason for this was because during the Once Tour their attitude and actions had turned out to be against almost all that Nightwish represents. As one may guess, the news of the firing was followed by an incredible sensation and hullabaloo. Once the nearly ridiculous fuss was finally starting to calm down in the end of 2005, Nightwish was able to look to the future and wait for an adequate singer to be found.
By the end of 2005, "Once" has sold approx. 1,000 000 copies worldwide as well, it has sold triple platinum in Finland, platinum in Germany, and gold in Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Greece, and Austria. The "Highest Hopes" collection has sold double platinum in Finland and gold in Norway by the end of the year 2005.
End of an era is a revolutionary CD/DVD with many different outlooks and emotions on Nightwish’s career.
The set opens with a Hans Zimmer Instrumental classic, which soon bursts into the song “Dark Chest of Wonders”. The guitar blasts and the concert suddenly takes off. The Concert ends with “Wish I had an angel” and even though most nightwish fans believe that it is one of their worst tracks, The song contains many explosions and is one of the best live tracks on the set. The vocals certainly do change from song to song and Tarja Turunen loses breath within a few songs eg “Sleeping Sun”. The CD/DVD digipack went platinum overnight and by watching or hearing this then you will understand why. It is purely the best Metal performance that you will see on DVD.
A cover of the Pink Floyd classic “High Hopes” is also included in the concert as well as a track called “Stone People” which is performed by “John Two-Hawks”

“Phantom of the opera”…well it leaves you speechless when you hear the live version
Overall the CD/DVD is absolutely superb but it mainly contains the new songs which is sad for us hardcore fans
My advice…. go get it…. now!!!

Pros –
Great set list
Phantom of the opera is changed at intro
The audio is brilliant quality

Cons –
Mostly new tracks

Nightwish Dark Passion PlayMillencolin Home From Home
Nikola Sarcevic Roll Roll And FleeForever Slave Alice's Inferno
Nightwish Highest Hopes
4.2
Kenneth E. Rathburn (3.5)
Best experienced through the DVD, as with most live releases....

Shattered_Future
August 21st 2006

Love love LOVE this. Review needs a TON of work though. There's about...5 sentences, maybe, about the album. It's all bio. Screw the bio, and just write the review.

Synthetical
August 21st 2006

So it is a CD and a DVD?! I'm definatly ordering this after work tomorrow. And the review could have had some length to it...I could have wrote a 16 page Essay on this DVD/CD, I watch at least Wishmaster on my downloaded version everyday.This Message Edited On 08.22.06This Message Edited On 08.22.06

nubifix
September 3rd 2006

i love this band.. i live for them! and what is all that whit tarja loses breath?? so what?!?! this consert kicks ass!!! i have been to MANY consert and a have never heard one sigel band play the howl consert perfect... its not fucking possible... and yes.. the review could have been longer

July 31st 2007

This is missing walking in the air but great nonetheless.

Ayashi
October 21st 2007

Best music DVD I have ever seen.

Poet
January 16th 2008

The Phantom of the Opera=best song sung live in history.

January 16th 2008

Yes. I've seen alot of clips off youtube but I still need to buy this. You know what song is amazing off Once that they didn't put on here Poet? Live To Tell The Tale.

NOTINTHEFACE
January 16th 2008

I get to see them live in may and clips from this make me really excited. Hopefully Annette will pull off Tarja's stuff well.

Poet
January 22nd 2008

That song is awesome.

get to see them live in may

St. Louis....right??

I am hoping my mom lets me go, I still have a few more months...it ain't like they going to be sold out LOL.

NOTINTHEFACE
January 22nd 2008

Haha yes. I forgot you were the one from St. Louis. And yeah, I can't see them being sold out anytime soon. I haven't been this excited about a concert since I saw Rush last summer.

Cesar
March 28th 2008

I just bought this and I am ridiculously exited and happy, intensely looking forward to hear it. I just started it.

Cesar
March 28th 2008

Pure greatness. Its good that this is Tarja's goodbye, it is an awesome Live performance

ConorMichaelJoseph
September 10th 2008

Phantom of the Opera sends chills down my spine every time I hear it,it is possibly the most beautiful piece they have played live

shrikeman1
December 6th 2008

This performance was really epic! Probably the best sendoff they could have done for Tarja and a great overall concert as well.
(If anyone's interested I can give you the link to the letter that the band gave to Tarja to fire her.)

fireaboveicebelow
December 6th 2008

I think they posted it on their site way back when

Chewie
May 30th 2009

I really should pick this up, this would be a live dvd worth seeing

January 13th 2010

I'm wondering if I should buy this used for 60 bucks or new for 11. I should have bought this a long time ago so I suppose I should spend 60 for my lazieness.

pedro70512
April 2nd 2011

I would give this a 5 if it wasn't for the super-ADD camerawork. Tarja sure went out with a bang...Phantom of the Opera and Ghost Love Score had people in the audience crying and I can't say I blame them.