Joshua Fit For Battle
To Bring Our Own End

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
August 19th, 2006 | 114 replies | 15,655 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Joshua Fit For Battle are a strange little outfit. They’ve had a multitude of splits over their rather short career (effectively only making music for three years), but only ever put out one work that was really their own; To Bring Our Own End. It’s in fact very reminiscent of what one of its members would later defect to, Hot Cross, combined with what that member previously recorded with, Neil Perry. Thus, it mixes a healthy dose of screamo, grind, and pop to make a rather exciting record, if just not nearly enough.

The most readily noticeable facet of the music is the overwhelming chaos. Oppurtunist blasts in with no warning, guns-a-screaming and instruments-a-blazin’. Often, there’s no clear cut pattern as to what JFFB is doing, and often there really is no pattern to speak of in any sense. Song’s constantly bob and weave in and out of different schemes, and often the songwriting ends up taking a back seat to the insanity of the musicianship.

The most hippity-hoppity aspect of it is how the guitarists interweave all their parts into a greater whole. On To Bring Our Own End, the opening guitar harmony is one of the most beautiful moments on the album, and the ease with which JFFB transform them into a shredfest is too…well, simple and easy to describe in words. However, you can’t take away from what drummer Kevin, who is one of the most creative drummers I’ve heard in quite a while. While his regular drum rhythms are fairly solid, it’s the numerous fills he contributes throughout the album that really sort of create many of those “magic” moments on the album. The opening fill to Twelve Years of Catholic School And This is What I Learned is absolutely astounding, and the almost tribal sounding beat in Dreams is astounding.

Then there’s Larry, the vocalist. To be blunt, the mix isn’t kind to him at all. He’s very harsh, and it may be better that he gets pushed behind nearly everything else, but you also rarely get to enjoy the parts where he does shine. This Is Me Getting Stronger, while the most sweepingly stunning songs on the album, is only made so by his haunting vocals. His screaming is another story, as its generally grating and initially intelligible. They’ll grow on you, sure, and songs like Oh Good Its One of Those Reality Shows are delivered so passionately, you can’t help but identify with the subject matter.

One area where JFFB shine is their lyrical work. Instead of going poetic or prose-y with it, they instead opt to be perfectly blunt. They ditch cliché references, silly phrasings, and just say precisely what they mean without any stupid nonsense covering it up. Fuck the Men In Her Life[/i], essentially an ode to emotionally destroyed women in the world, is so brutally honest that it makes a deep impact on you, despite the fact it really says very little. Contents of an American History Class is a heated exchange about how America’s history being taught the children is, in essence, a bad idea, as it will only continue the cycle of violence. Whatever, I trust Larry to be telling me the truth at this point. The most currently poignant song, however, is Twelve Years of Catholic School And This is What I learned, a song de-humanizing priests for dismissing gay marriage, citing the fact that the writings that forbid it were written 2000 years ago by straight white males.

The force with which the lyrics are expressed, along with the intensity of the music, is what makes JFFB so great. Everything sounds impassioned and important when spit out through th sound machine that To Bring Our Own End ends up becoming. It can’t hold up for it’s ~27 minutes duration (there is around 12 minutes of blankness on Contents of An American History Class), and in the end it leaves you yearning for more, but as a whole it succeeds on nearly every level. It’s emotional, catchy, and kicks unhealthy amounts of ass. Just be sure not to play it while your reggaeton-obsessed friend walks in, or else a conversation on suicide will soon follow. Oh, how I wish the tears would go away.

Song's you should do Battle with har har
Oppurtunist
This is Me Getting Stronger
Fuck the Men In Her Life
Sleepwalkers Guide

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor

OMG LIKE YOUR MYSPACE NAME

Good review. This sounds cool.This Message Edited On 08.20.06

ToWhatEnd
August 19th 2006

Exactly how many reviews did you write when Sputnik was down?

August 19th 2006

I\'d strongly reccomend it. IT was one of the most promising albums I\'ve heard in a while...or it would have been, had I not heard what was to come from later band releases before I heard this .

I also forgot to mention how excellently produced this is. Oh well, I\'ll do so next time. Oh wait I can\'t review this again uh oh.

edit: I had only written the first two system reviews. The other three I've submitted today were all written in the past...6 hours?This Message Edited On 08.20.06

Onewaytrip2hell
August 19th 2006

Good review, once again;yes, this sounds cool./votesThis Message Edited On 08.20.06

DogodThis Message Edited On 08.10.08

August 19th 2006

There's a very vague resemblance. They both have some similar grind-influence, but this is really quite different when it comes down to it and not so much rooted in thrash.

August 19th 2006

Okay I just got banned so I don't know if this will go through, but with my dying breath I swear to check them out.

Arrakakaka
August 20th 2006

Awesome review, this is personally one of my favorite albums. Like you said, the lyrics are real blunt instead of poetic. I've listened to this over and over again, it remains a favorite. It's a nice break from the grindish fast screamo I usually listen to.

whiteminority

Great band, great album.

Also this band hardly bares a resmeblance to CTTS, as JFFB are more chaotic and dissonant while CTTS have a more epic leaning and a more artsy feeling.

Intransit
August 20th 2006

this band kicks incredible amounts of ass, as does this review

World Burns To Death
August 20th 2006

This album was the soundtrack for my sophomore year in highschool

August 20th 2006

It was the soundtrack to my first three days of high school :cool:

DFelon204409
August 22nd 2006

[quote=chan]Do they sound like the only emo band I've heard just cuz they were on tha punk listening party?[/quote]

Does it matter?

Channing
August 22nd 2006

No not really. I just wanted to sound knowledgeable.

August 22nd 2006

Did you even bother to check them out yet, or is Elton John taking up your slsk resources?

Channing

WHOA nobody likes me

Nope I haven't checked them out yet. Soon though.

Activista anti-MTV
August 23rd 2006

DFel that was pretty harshish.

This band might be worth a shot.

threedaysago0130
October 7th 2006

Shock Value Records put this out on LP for the first time ever (with new artwork) earlier
this year. I got it on transluscent yellow/white split vinyl bitch!This Message Edited On 10.07.06

Electrocution
December 10th 2006

da fucking rule.This Message Edited On 12.10.06

Jack Wilson
March 11th 2007

nice review. i love this album.