Slayer
Show No Mercy

by Dethtrasher USER (232 Reviews)
August 14th, 2006 | 18 replies | 2,191 views

Release Date: 1983 | Tracklist

HISTORY
The heavy-metal genre was loose, but the heavy-metal was about to get even heavier and it would later become a world-phenomeon. In America bands started to emerge, because of the heavy-metal from England and the punk in America thrash-metal was created. Some of the first bands to make the biggest impacts in the U.S. was this group of four bands, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax and of course Slayer. All the bands was an influence to many bands and genres but it was Slayer who did the biggest impact among them alongside Metallica, this band was a huge influence to the death-metal genre, most because of the very evil, aggressive and fast music style that Slayer delivered, and still delivers in this present day in albums like their new album called ''Christ Illusion''.

ALBUM HISTORY
This was Slayer's first album and it is called ''Show No Mercy'', you can definitely hear that the overall sound production is not top-notch in this album. If you have heard Metallica's ''Kill 'Em All'' then you can imagine how this album will sound like, but I think that this was a bit better production than Metallica's though. Anyway, this album contains some of the evil sound which was about to become bigger with time, the guitar work is creepy, quite intensive and energetic. The drumming is also pretty intensive here but the vocals in this album might be something you did not expect if you have heard the later material from Slayer. The lyrics is one factor that made Slayer loved by the young and hated by the old, their lyrics was even here focused on things like the occut, hell, satan and other obscure and creepy themes.

BAND MEMBERS
Slayer has always been a group of four except when drummer Paul Bostaph replaced Dave Lombardo for a period of time. We begin with the frontman Tom Araya which is the vocalist and bassist of this band. I think that Tom does one of his greatest vocal work in this album, most of the times he uses his harsh evil-ish vocals but suddenly he delivers very high-pitched shouts/screams. This kind of vocal work can be heard in songs like The Antichrist and Face The Slayer, he first delivers his ''normal'' vocals and then he delivers these high-pitched vocals, many would hate these vocals but I sure that there are people who like it, and I'm one of them. Like many bands the bassist does not get much attention or space, Overkill and Anthrax are some of few bands that actually has a very audible bass frequence. Unfortunatly, Slayer does not have a great bass in this album, you can hear the bass lines here and there during the songs but the bass is not loud, no standout perfromances from Tom and his bass here. Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman are the two guitarists, they both does a good job in this album. The shredding is fast and energetic but the guitars sounds very flat or ''weak'', there is nothing wrong with the overall guitar work but it does sound very cheap if you know what I mean. The guitar soloing is though very good though, the solos are energetic, very intensive, not so melodic but they are played with skill. And then we have come to the drummer Dave Lombardo, a good drummer, not the best but he does a very good job here. The drum patterns has a good variety and a good catchiness-level, there are both intensive patterns and heavier and a bit slower patterns. I would say that Dave was the best drummer among the ''Big Four'' alongside Anthrax's Charlie Benante.

MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS ALBUM
Well, this was a pretty good album actually, not one of my favorites but it grabbed me pretty good. Some things I enjoyed was the fast pace in the material, you can feel that this has nothing with laziness to do. The band really thrust's out energy in songs likeTormentor, The Antichrist and Die By The Sword to mention a few. Another thing I thought was pretty good was the variety in the vocal work, it was like other bands that just churns out the same vocals all the time. These vocals were a bit surprising, first you had the evil and harsh ''speaking'' or singing and then you suddenly have these high-pitched screams. I liked this type of vocal work but it did also annoyed me a bit, it didn't felt like the ''Slayer sound'' that I have been used to. Some things that I didn't like about this album was the production, it really felt flat and somewhat amateur-stuff. If the material had a thicker and heavier sound it would've sounded great but unfortunatly, this was not so heavy. Another thing that bugged me was the fact that the songs felt similar to other bands material and or sound, some songs felt familiar to Metallica material and sometimes it felt like Anthrax material. The songs didn't appeared as copies but the overall sound production made them sound familiar to other bands material.

MY CONCLUSION
''God Hates Us All'' was almost plain bulls**it to me, most because of the overdone vocals and their attempt to be more extreme. ''Reign In Blood'' was nearly a masterpiece (or is according to musicians and fans), the display of evil and sinister themes can't be better desricbed than by Slayer. But this album was a hard nut to crack though, the positive things was equally as many as the negatives but in the end it turned out good. I think that every Slayer fan should get this, thrashers of the old-school area should get this too. I think though that this is an album that needs to grow on you., this is not an album that you will fall in love with instantly. If you have comments on your mind plaese don't be afriad to give them to me, this was the best I could come up with about this album and I hope you liked this review.

RECOMMENDED TRACKS

Opeth DamnationFleshcrawl Made of Flesh
Sear Lamentations of DestructionTormented Rotten Death
War (swe) We Are...Total WarCrucified Barbara Til Death Do Us Party
killemall666 (5)
Classic Thrash Debuts Pt III...

Hernan M. Campbell STAFF (4)
"Blasting our way through the boundaries of hell, no one can stop us tonight..."...

Grant Hunter (3.5)

manuscriptreplica (5)

Bron-Yr-Aur
August 14th 2006

It's not a bad review, and perhaps I'm being a tight-ass, but I'm rather tired of review format.

August 14th 2006

Yea, I guess I have to make some variety in my formats, but I like this one better than the others I have done. But I will try to come up with something new though.

Acey

not bad!
/votes

FlawedPerfection
August 14th 2006

It took me a while to get a new format as well. Now I just do whatever fits with the album.

August 14th 2006

Oh man, I was just about to review this. Oh well, there are already two reviews with a 3.5 rating and there's no need for a third. Awesome job.

August 15th 2006

Good review Deth. I enjoy this album a bit more than you, but either way, its still good.

BTW, I finished DL'ing Destruction's 'Inventor of Evil'...I didn't care for it that much, but I've got some Overkill thats finishing up now...'The Years of Decay' I believe...This Message Edited On 08.15.06

August 15th 2006

Then you must also check out Overkill's W.F.O, that album has some of metal's greatest bass-lines. But Years Of Decay is awesome to, especially ''Who Tends The Fire''.

August 15th 2006

Yea, 'The Years of Decay' is pretty darn good so far.
NP: 'The Antichrist'

August 15th 2006

[QUOTE=SoH11]Ahh, but remember, mine is a combined score. My real score is a 4.5, and Bron's was a 2.5, which made it a 3.5. So please, do one Shadows. Or, better yet, do one for 'Reign in Blood'. There isn't a review that gives it a '4' yet...[/QUOTE]
I've already written one for Hell Awaits and I'll be doing Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss later today. So note to you and Robin, don't review those albums anytime soon. I have dibs!

August 15th 2006

I'll be doing Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss later today.

I've already started to work on 'Seasons in the Abyss'...

Noooooo!!!!!!!

August 15th 2006

Yea, I was gonna post it tommorow...I was planning on reviewing all of Slayer's albums, and then Deth did a good one for 'Divine' so I left that one and focused on just 'Christ Illusion'. And then I saw that Deth beat you out to this one so I figured you'd do a kick-a*s job with 'Reign in Blood' so I skipped over that one and I'm bout halfway done with Seasons now...

August 15th 2006

Hm, that leaves me with just RIB for now. I could South of Heaven, but I don't care for that album too much. Maybe I'll do Diabolus in Musica.

August 15th 2006

Yea, do 'Diabolus'. That was like my 2nd review. I think the review is ok, and the album could use a better one. Go for it.

August 15th 2006

Sure thing. That will make three Slayer reviews for me today. I'm starting to feel like Robin (aka Deathtrasher). After that I'll be submitting an unholy horde of thrash reviews. :metal: I hope you guys like Kreator.

MORE THRASH!
Don't worry, my Slayer time is done. I will look for more Slayer albums but I think my Slayer reviews will stop now.

wakeupdead
December 4th 2006

Its a pretty good Slayer album.........Reign In Blood was better though

phaseshifter
December 4th 2006

Reign in Blood & South of Heaven are the best. I'm new here but hey, that's what I think.