Fleetwood Mac
Rumours

by PTECK USER (37 Reviews)
August 13th, 2006 | 549 replies | 31,200 views

Release Date: 1977 | Tracklist

In 1975 Fleetwood Mac released their legendary white album. It launched them into the mainstream and made them into superstars. Two years later they released an album of mythic proportions, their eleventh studio album, Rumours. It is one of the highest selling albums of all time, and in some people's opinions (including mine), possibly the greatest rock record ever made. You can't escape hearing this on classic rock radio. Whether you like Fleetwood Mac or not, you have to admit this album had an enourmous impact on pop music as we know it.

Fleetwood Mac:
Mick Fleetwood: Drums
John McVie: Bass
Christine McVie: Keyboards, Vocals
Lindsey Buckingham: Guitar, Vocals
Stevie Nicks: Vocals

Now I'll start by saying one thing that I know is true. Fleetwood Mac has a sensational rhythm section. Mick Fleetwood's drumming is just so powerful. John McVie, I believe, one of the finest ever. His bass playing doesn't blow your mind, but seems to always add a perfect groove into each song that makes it complete. The bass playing and drumming go together very well, mainly because these two have been together in a band for so long.

Another thing that is true is that I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac fanboy. I'm extremely biased and I hope that doesn't turn you off.

Everybody should know what this album is about. Breakups and divorce. Stevie and Lindsey were breaking up. John and Christine divorced the previous year. Mick was going through a divorce with his wife. And to top it off, their addictions with cocaine had become out of control. All of this fueled the ultimate breakup album.

There is a lot of anger found here. "Second Hand News" kicks it off with Lindsey saying he realizes that Stevie no longer wants him and he doesn't give a crap. "Never Going Back Again" is similar. Lindsey (the most underrated guitarist ever) uses beatiful guitar picking and nasty lyrics to say he'll never go back to Stevie. Stevie threatened to quit the band if they added "Go Your Own Way" to the album. But you can't blame them because it's such a great song. The chorus is one of the catchiest lines known to man. But every line in the song is about how Lindsey doesn't want Stevie in his life any longer. Great guitar playing all around, this is a staple in the world of classic rock radio. Another song that can be heard constantly on those stations is "Dreams." You have to know this song. Stevie explains in this song that Lindsey only pretends to not hate her because of the music they are forcing themselves to create.

Now, not every song on here is about pain and angst. There's the hopeful "Don't Stop." This is probably my favorite song. The piano playing is wonderful, along with the bass. The 6/8 adds a really neat touch. Lindsey sings the first verse, Christine the second, and all the third harmoniously after a spectacular little guitar solo. Since Christine was trying to avoid John, she had to write songs about other people she loved. "Songbird" is a perfect example. Recorded live in front of no audience, this is probably her finist work. The piano playing is beautiful and the lyrics are perfect. "You Make Loving Fun" is Christine's big hit from the album. The high pitched singing during the chorus is Christine utilizing her weird voice in the best way.

"The Chain" sums up the album perfectly. Buckingham's screaming guitar lights the song on fire. Every member contributed writing credits. It was written about how they knew that they had to stay together to create some of the greatest music known to man, despite all the troubles. Something very cool happens in this song. It completely stops, followed an amazing bass solo, just out of no where. Lindsey wails on the guitar more and the band chants together, "The chain will keep us together." This is a song that leaves me blown away every time.

The ending of the album is nothing short of epic. "Oh Daddy" was Christine's tribute to the band's leader, Mick. This haunting ballad is full of perfect musicianship. The album ends with the chilling "Gold Dust Woman." The cowbell and bass create a creepy atmosphere as Stevie sings about how cocaine is destroying her life. The guitar playing at the end is wicked and crazy, as you hear wild screaming in the background. Pretty epic.

Fleetwood Mac did make one enourmous mistake in creating this album. Arguably the band's greatest song, "Silver Springs" was left off because Lindsey was offended by Stevie's Lyrics. They replaced it with the album's worst song, "I Don't Want To Know." If you've ever heard "Silver Springs," you'll agree.
You may not agree with me that this album is so good, probably just because you don't like Fleetwood Mac. Don't be turned off by the balls on the cover, buy this CD now!

Final Rating: 5/5 without a doubt

Pearl Jam Touring Band 2000 DVDCollective Soul Afterwords
Lindsey Buckingham Under the SkinTool Aenima
Journey Greatest Hits: 1978-1997 DVDQueen Classic Queen
4.4

HalesBells0PatHater0
August 13th 2006

idk. it's...okay?? kinda..uhm well. idk. haha.

metallicaman8
August 13th 2006

You bastard. I'm working on a review for this album right now! Oh well, I'm going to submit it when I'm done regardless. This review wasn't very good. I'm not going to vote.

Oddsen
August 13th 2006

Fleetwood mac awsome. This review was meh though.

August 13th 2006

dang, my first neg. I thought i did a pretty good job. this was the first review i ever did that's been done before. it seems like every time i review something someone says "I was just going to review this"

August 13th 2006

Why don't you go have an orgy with the band while your at it? This review is fresh off the Fanboy Press Express line.

metallicaman8
August 13th 2006

[quote=review]I am now reviewing the greatest rock album of all time. Or the biggest pile of mainstream poop known to man. I tend to lean towards the first choice. Whether you like Fleetwood Mac or not, you have to admit this album had an enourmous impact on pop music as we know it.[/quote]

That was a terrible intro man, really. Otherwise It's just decent.

What frances said.This Message Edited On 08.13.06

August 13th 2006

I agree, but we all have our favorite bands. I orginally did this a week ago, but it said that i wasn't logged in, which i was, so it got totally deleted. today when i did it it it said i wasn't logged in again, but i remembered to copy it. the first time i did this i wrote a paragraph about my fanboyness and how it shouldn't upset people. but i forget to do that this time.

Cygnus Inter Anates
August 13th 2006

hey remember you beck review frances

August 13th 2006

I re-did that review so it wasn't sucking his dick as much.

Which reminds me...This Message Edited On 08.13.06

Bron-Yr-Aur
August 13th 2006

Oh shut up Frances. It's not that bad. It's not great, but it's not as bad as you all are making it out to be.

/pos'd cuz I'm HARDCOREEEEe

August 13th 2006

Now I'll start by saying one thing that I know is true. Fleetwood Mac has the greatest rhythm section in the history of rock/blues. Mick Fleetwood's drumming is just so powerful. John McVie, I believe, is the greatest bassist ever. Don't agree? That's because you don't listen to Fleetwood Mac.

I might neg it just for that.

August 13th 2006

ok I want to write a new intro but I can't think of anything better. I'll just have to stick to mr. controversy.

August 13th 2006

I know that Metallicaman's review is gonna blow mine away, but you have to admit mine was at least slightly better than SadisticMonkey's. Eh?

August 13th 2006

I am now reviewing the greatest rock album of all time.

Fleetwood Mac has the greatest rhythm section in the history of rock/blues.

The chorus is one of the catchiest lines known to man.

It was written about how they knew that they had to stay together to create the greatest music known to man, despite all the troubles.

Now see, to the last comment, I happen to like Fleetwood. I just don't think this album is as good as he makes it out to be or their best work. I dunno, Bron.

August 13th 2006

Dude, I've always been under the impression that this is the greatest band ever and this is the greatest album ever. You should have expected me to put all that crap. plus you forgot to add the greatest bass solo ever on there.

Bron-Yr-Aur
August 13th 2006

I'm not saying he wasn't a little gushing over it, but it wasn't as horrible as you guys are making it out to be.

Cygnus Inter Anates
August 13th 2006

lets neg it because we don't have the same opinions as the reviewer

August 13th 2006

My approval was at 100% before this album. Uh oh.

ElitistPig
August 13th 2006

The intro was pretty soft. You pretty much just turned away every one who is luke warm to fleetwood or this album.