Hellogoodbye
Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

good

by The Katz brothers USER (183 Reviews)
August 12th, 2006 | 82 replies | 21,605 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

It’s hard to think of a band more poised for commercial success (in recent years) than Hellogoodbye. If being signed to a hip, rather large indie label famous (infamous, possibly?) for creating mega stars in the Pop-Punk world isn’t enough, Hellogoodbye were one of two bands spotlighted in a recent season (Austin, Texas if memory serves) of MTV reality show, The Real World. Multiple episodes of said season of said show featured the band either goofing off or playing music (two things the quartet are pretty good at). This instantly sprung their career into hyper speed. Even today you see people commenting their myspace saying how they discovered the band through The Real World. Of course, winning MTV2’s and Mountain Dew’s Dew Circuit Breakout helps as well. Anyways, somewhere in between the release of their current album (and subject of this review), Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! and the band signed they released an EP (Mush Slowly and Gauc) which (surprise, surprise) garnered MTV attention while legions of new fans declared their love of frontman Forrest Kline. At “press” time it is unknown whether this album, the band’s official debut will receive the same love, but no matter the odds I would bet on it.

Obviously, if Hellogoodbye get play on MTV and are signed to Drive-Thru, they have a fairly mainstream sound. They use fairly standard instruments (Keyboard, Guitar, Bass, Drums) to create fairly common sounding synth injected Pop-Punk/Power Pop. The majority of the songs are driven by moog arpeggios, but some like ‘Stuck to You’ take the more standard guitar driven route. When Hellogoodbye break away from these formats, the “magic” really starts to happen. Oh, It is Love is an acoustic ballad played mostly on a banjo, though towards the end electric guitar comes in, and eventually the whole band kicks in. The topic of said song is nothing new, just a guy declaring his love for his girlfriend/wife/whatever through slightly cliché lyrics like “It's been hardly a moment/And you are already missed/There is still a bit of your skin/That I'm yet to have kissed . The song, despite hardly being original is probably the best on the album.

Giving Oh, It is Love a run for its money for best song is lead single Here in Your Arms . Here in Your Arms is the most electronic song on the album, and unlike the majority of the album, barely has any Pop-Punk influence. At times the lead single almost sounds like a disco song, especially in the chorus, where the band utilizes vocal effects, thumping bass, danceable drums and airy keyboards. Forrest as a vocalist is fairly average. His voice is pretty high (and can get higher, as proved in [ironically enough] All Time Lows) and becomes slightly whiny a times, whether that appeals to you or not I don’t know, but I don’t mind it. Like his vocals, Forrest’s lyrics (I assume he is the band’s lyricist as well as singer) can get whiny at times. They usually aren’t incredibly well written but at times the lyrics can be humorous and/or clever.

Despite it’s terrible name Z!A!V!D! isn’t a bad record. About two thirds of the songs tend to be fairly average and slightly bland, but the other third contains some of the best Power Pop in recent memory. No matter the quality, all of the songs are catchy, fun and all that good stuff. While most of this record won’t appeal to many of Sputnik’s viewers, Hellogoodbye’s official debut is simply a good record for the twelve year old girl in all of us.

3/5

-Dan

The Max Levine Ensemble OK SmartypantsAIDS Wolf Cities of Glass
Bloc Party IntimacyThe Cool Kids The Bake Sale
Madvillain Madvillainy 2: The Madlib RemixYip-Yip Two Kings of the Same Kingdom
3.2
good
Adam Knott EMERITUS (4.5)
Dear Music-lover:...

FlawedPerfection
August 12th 2006

Short reviews must be the new trend. Good one, though.

Jawaharal

Its not a short review.

Good though, this band is pretty meh.

FlawedPerfection

Shorter than usual.

Cygnus Inter Anates
August 12th 2006

Hellogoodbye aren't really pop-punk.

francesfarmer

What then?

Cygnus Inter Anates
August 12th 2006

Pop Rock more than anything.

powerrangers
August 12th 2006

Hellgoodbye r definelty one of my favs bands out there
almost imposible not to dance to

The Jungler
August 13th 2006

Hellogoodbye aren't really pop-punk.
Yeah, I'm changing that ASAP.

I may raise my rating on this to a 3.5.

metallicaman8
August 13th 2006

This! Seems! Kind! Of! Lame!

icaught fire444
August 27th 2006

Good review. I'm glad you pointed out that the album wasn't all disco because after hearing the single, and loving it, I was scared that the whole album was gonna be like that.

and I thought 100% that they were gay until I read the article about them in AP.

Pyramidman
October 2nd 2006

^lol

i love HGB and this CD was a natural transition from their EP

BeautifulSurrender
October 4th 2006

I love hellogoodbye as well, but i must say i am disappointed in this cd. most of the songs on there are older songs that they just re-recorded, and i think the older versions are much better. from the music to vocals, they seem to have just ruined the songs. its like they tried to hard and completely went over the top.

Pyramidman
October 6th 2006

those were demos

and i would say ruined them
as much as say re-record with better production and actually make them better

but thats just me

Bron-Yr-Aur
October 14th 2006

This! Seems! Kind! Of! Lame!

Whoa who would've thought Metallicaman would find something like this lame and make a bad joke to display it.

Freeyourmind707
January 21st 2007

I really hate Here In Your Arms its dreadful IMHO. I guess it really does sound like a disco song.. the singers voice has odd effects on it. I don't like the first single either. I really don't hate all pop music but I don't like either single.

jrowa001
March 15th 2007

i saw these guys for free once when they came to my college. they are a great live band, lots of energy and some comical antics. the music was ok though

nickmoshbaby
March 28th 2007

is this worth the money?

trustxdialect
March 28th 2007

You rated this, wouldn't you know?

April 13th 2007

oh my fucking god "here in your arms" is such an amazing song

April 13th 2007