Opeth
Deliverance

by Shadows USER (89 Reviews)
August 7th, 2006 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

How do creatures grow? One way or another, roots are planted and run deep into the foundation they’re planted upon. Over time, these roots take hold and create something irreplaceable – something forever present, even though they may be too deep to notice. From these roots will spring the new vision; one that not only attracts attention but seemingly gives meaning to the creature’s existence. This new vision brings forth the fruit and flowers that make the once insignificant creature a being of magnificence. And now, unseen at its birth, the creature has become a revelation of splendor.

Now, Opeth…a creature not unlike the vision above. In the beginning, the roots were ingrained below them. Orchid and Morningrise began their growth as a musical entity. Over six years later, that entity has grown, and the people who once overlooked it began to take notice of how it had grown. Damnation and Deliverance are the fruit and flowers that spring over time. And although only the newest albums in their career have gained widespread acclaim, the roots of their early work never completely disappear.

Deliverance, Opeth’s sixth album, is somewhat of a mixture of the roots and the fruit. On one hand, they’ve taken their style in an entirely new direction, utilizing brutal riffs and depressing interludes. On the other hand, they’ve recorded a minimal number of songs with the maximum amount of length, thus returning to a truly progressive sound. As an album of extremes, each of the 10+ minutes songs shifts through the most sinister sounding riffs and growls to the most serene acoustic soundscapes with gloomy ambience. The same principle can also be applied to the technicality of the playing. At times, the guitar strums the simplest chords with almost non-existent drums, while other times Mikael and Peter trade off insane shredfests with Lopez rolling furiously on the double bass.

A pre-emptive look at each track shows that this isn’t the gentle, good-natured Opeth that older fans are accustomed to. Merely the intros of Wreath and Deliverance are sledge hammering visions of a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Martin Lopez puts his testosterone level through the roof as he virtually sears his double bass into listeners’ skulls like a dentist drill. Mikael Akerfeldt’s voice, most noticeably the first growl in By the Pain I See In Others, has taken a turn for the deep, death metal roars that make Glenn Benton hide under his bed. Palm muted bass notes as in Master's Apprentices create a full metal attack that Opeth has never brought forth at all. Solos have been brought from the level of jazz/rock-based into the realm of true metal, as Mikael and Peter shred their Norse hearts out in the frenzies of Wreath and Master's Apprentices. Make no mistake, Deliverance is an album that ranks on the darkest and most brutal of scales.

However, no album would be an Opeth album without the distinctive clean, melodic side featuring tranquil guitars and the soothing Akerfeldt singing. A Fair Judgement bears divergent piano playing preceding an atmospheric soundscape bearing a simple, yet striking melody. Solos within reverberate with an ecstatically somber tone. The two minute instrumental For Absent Friends breaks up the collection of enormous song lengths with a heartrending jazz guitar interlude. Deliverance a gentle, post-destructive acoustic segment used throughout to dissuade away from the pandemonic dissonance.

Only brief sample descriptions of every facet of Deliverance can be given, as there is simply too much to tell at once. Emotions stray back and forth across the music like a John McEnroe tennis match. From every end of the spectrum, Opeth has seen and done the most epic of feats to reap the benefits of their well-watered musical roots. All metaphors aside, Opeth’s sixth is a wonderful 62 minutes of meaningful, unique extreme progressive metal unlike anything ever written. Deliverance is essentially Morningrise for the modern Opeth mind, and an eccentric progression it was.

Summary:
- Fantastic new style with extra brutality
- Soft side darker than ever
- Incredible soloing
- Unexpected twists and turns

A Few Personal favorite moments:

Cradle of Filth ThornographyTrivium The Crusade
Opeth DamnationBlind Guardian A Twist in the Myth

Kage
August 7th 2006

I like the metaphor you use, with the roots and the plant and all, but I think they "bloomed" so-to-speak long before this, with Still Life. Great job though!

Espcially the way you described this, I don't know why I don't like it anymore than I do. I wish I could get into it more, but for some reason it just doesn't have the magic that other Opeth albums do.

f_u_c_t
August 7th 2006

i enjoyed the review. And i def. enjoy the album

Shadius
August 7th 2006

Because this album was thrown together by Opeth standards?

That's why I think there's much less magic here.

Shadows
August 7th 2006

I really wouldn't say it was thrown together by their standards, but the "Opeth magic" seems to be less present here than on their other albums. Even so, this is a very good album.

Cygnus Inter Anates
August 7th 2006

There are only like two albums that have the "Opeth magic".

Tyler

Great review.

You buggered one of the tags though, it says "[O]Orchid[/i]"

Tyler

doublepost This Message Edited On 08.07.06

Dancin' Man
August 7th 2006

Best Opeth record as far as I'm concerned.

1997 Comments

Great review. Great album.

Mikesn

Great review.

I'm not a big Opeth fan, but they're very impressive.

Digging: Grimes - Visions

Buy. Listen. Orgasm.

Angmar
August 7th 2006

I like them when he sings because he actually has a good voice but i personally do not like screaming.

1997 Comments

Meh that's what I thought, but you easily grow into it. I thought I wouldn't like it either but now I look forward to it.

Shadows
August 7th 2006

If Opeth's singing sections are what you're into, buy Damnation.

Thanks people, Opeth = orgasm indeed. I'd say this is their second weakest but still worthy of any Opeth fan's money.

TojesDolan
August 8th 2006

I must disagree with Cain. This is indeed Opeth's finest moment, because they didn't really have to hide some soft tracks beneath dark, harsh metal tracks to make it possible to have their "softer" side outside, or as they say "classic influences".

Whichever the case is, the albums show some sort of growth and acceptance from their behalf, because they didn't need to be the evil band all the time.

Great stuff man.

Angmar
December 21st 2006

disregard my post lol im sure you all know i dont fell that way anymore.

Wizard
February 12th 2007

19491 Comments

Quoted by Shadows: but the "Opeth magic" seems to be less present here than on their other albums.

Funny how I thought that this was their masterpiece and I will admit that its because of the song Deliverence (the first song I ever heard by these kings of the music world hahahaha).

I loved your organic description of Opeth as I have also thought this way about them too. Simply my favourite album of all time and your amazing review simply cemented that fact. This Message Edited On 02.11.07

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

MO
December 22nd 2010

I know this is an old review, but I love the McEnroe reference. Album fucking rules.

climactic
December 22nd 2010

19361 Comments

it does. only weakish song on here is the last one.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!