Satyricon
Nemesis Divina

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
July 23rd, 2006 | 96 replies | 19,193 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

I really can't help but laugh when I listen to Satyricon. It's of course due to singer Satyr's incredibly cheesy vocals. It's a given in most black metal that you're going to get incredibly over-the-top, evil vocals, and it always entertains me to no end, but Satyr is one of the most over-the-top, evil sounding vocalists I've heard. While it may somewhat detract from the music, in all honest I just couldn't imagine there being anyone hear to replace him. He fits the band (and to a broader extent, the genre) perfectly.

Being their breakout album, Nemesis Divina can arguably be called the height of their discography. While I am completely unfamiliar with the rest of their discography, I can so feel inclined to say it is a surprisingly engaging experience. The musicianship is top-notch, with the riffs being pulse-poundingly good and the chord progressions Satyr (who handles much of what occurs, along with help from Kvelduv [of Darkthrone]) provides being of surprisingly high quality.

However, Satyricon's biggest boon is drummer Frost, who is absolutely one of the most plainly kickass drummers I've recently encountered. While his work elsewhere may be comparatively better, he still owns all sorts of face here, with his hammering, fast drumming just itching you to air drum along with him. His counterpart in (surprise) Satyr on bass is unfortunately not nearly as pronounced. While Frost may get lost in the mix occasionally, the basswork in this album is almost constantly close to being inaudible. it's a shame, as the bassline in songs like Mother North are far worthier of a more pronounced role.

The songs themselves are where it's truly at, however. The just stated Mother North is a blistering riff-driven number, with the sudden bass-drop off giving a dynamic that is plainly unexpected. The Grand Piano near the end of Du Som Hater Gud, which is one of the more grind-esque songs on the album to boot, is one of the many surprise moments that keep you on the edge of your seat listening to this album, a must when many of the songs tend to get tad repetitive by their end. The strangeness of final track Transcendental Requiem of Slaves is perhaps the most fitting conclusion to the album; in complete contrast to the biting and "tr00 kvlt metal" way they began the album, Satyricon instead opt for a strange, melodic, almost soundscape-y song.

Nemesis Divina surprised me in a good way. If you can get past the incredibly cheesy vocals of Satyr, and realize that the album is going to drag a bit at times, it's one of the most enjoyable and easily accessible black metal albums I've ever heard. It's dark, but not impenetrable; it's heavy, but not too much to take. Those epic moments are something to look out for here, and hey, who doesn't want to hear some evil-sounding dude talk about nothing of particular relevance?

Washboard Leo Thomas Louisiana BluegrassCrusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...
Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria BluesLos Campesinos! No Blues
Arcade Fire ReflektorTouche Amore Is Survived By

July 23rd 2006

oh noes I just reviewed black metal save me

Neoteric

Well that was fast, gg

July 23rd 2006

That's what the ladies say about me :cool:

Nice.

DeafForever
July 23rd 2006

Wow, that's a short review for you. I haven't heard much from the genre of 'Black Metal', but I'll bet I'd love it. Good review.

July 23rd 2006

You prolly would. It's like thrash but just much better.

Silenius
July 23rd 2006

Good review and good cd.
This Message Edited On 07.23.06

kno_kontrol
July 23rd 2006

good review although it sounds like the vocals would put me off

Cravinov13
July 23rd 2006

I wanna get their newest album. This looks good too.

The Jungler
July 23rd 2006

Wow, you finished this fast. Nice job, good to see a shorter review from you. I doubt I would like this, as I'm not very into metal.

no wai every1 wuld lyk dis cd becuz its evil lol

Intransit
March 7th 2007

Pretty great album tbh.

July 3rd 2007

"Mother North" is a great song.

Digging: Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

July 30th 2007

Bump for sheer greatness. I'm surprised there aren't many comments on this. "Mother North" is a classic Black Metal tune, if you haven't heard it yet shame on you.

October 16th 2007

For those who are interested, the awesome video for Mother North.

The way Satyr screams "MOTHER NORTH!" in the beginning of that video is fucking awesome. One of the best Black Metal songs ever recorded.This Message Edited On 10.16.07

January 21st 2008

I need to get this album.

February 21st 2008

This is a superb album, dark and melodic with a quality production on top of it.

Bump for awesomeness

Willie
February 26th 2008

Mother North is an awesome song... the rest of this album bored the crap out of me...

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

February 26th 2008

Mother North is Satyricon's crowning achievement.