Bruce Springsteen
The Rising

by youngandplayin USER (1 Reviews)
July 21st, 2006 | 22 replies | 6,334 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

This album came out after 9/11 as a part of sayin that we were attacked but we are not broken; if anything came out of it we got stronger. now there can be some arguing that 9/11 also caused some negative things in our government and democratic states. The album depicts many situations in which victims were in and how they overcame. The album is a great explanation of when to mourn and when to overcome. It also says Thank you and I am sorry for your loss to many victims and lifesavers.

Lonesome day to me is about a husband/wife of someone that lost a loved one in 9/11 and they are just trying to get through one day and they keep remembering the things they took for granted. It also is how they finally realize that it is a test and that the tragedy just made them stronger. The song is a perfect way to start off the album.

Into the fire is based on a firefighter bravely and fearlessly going up the stairs into a fire not just the world trade center fires but any fire. it is saying thank you to all the services that risk their lives everday for our freedom and our well being.

Waitin on a Sunny Day is alot like Lonesome Day as it is showing that we were struck down and that there was a tragedy that we should mourn. but as u mourn u should also rise up and not be kept on the ground.

Nothin Man is about how people were goin through there daily lives actin like they had nothin to lose when it could all could be taken away in a second. it reminds me of how the people on the planes knew they were gonna die but how some gave their own lives to save others.

Countin on a miracle is the part that how the victims and their that knew they were gonna die were countin on a miracle to save them. now some might not think there was a miracle cause it was a terrible tragedy but it rose questions that we were not discussing so as it is a tragedy it also is a miracle.

Empty Sky and Worlds Apart talk about how the victims families knew that day that something terrible was gonna happen and when they figured that these were the last moments and they might have been the most precious to them. Empty Sky also shows that recieving is not always better than giving as we should give an eye for an eye. now if u give u will recieve.

Now lets skip to Mary's Place as the songs before it are just extensions of others in point and meaning. The other songs although do have very moving sounds and lyrics such as Further On.Mary's Place is about how when the trade centers were attacked that people were killed and that people should not be struck down as they would meet them in Mary's Place(Heaven) when it was their time to meet. It also shows that many people that never knew each other came together and were in a tragedy yet an awakening together.

You're Missing speaks out that fathers and mothers were taken away from someone that should have a father and should have a mother not onlt fathers and mothers but other parts of a family that make it bond. without that single one person it can come crashin down or it can strengthen the family.

The Rising is a very authoritive song as Bruce's voice demands attention in this song. It explains that althought this was a tragedy it also was a Rising. It makes us question not only our homeland and our government but also how we interact with issues of the modern world. We shall not be stricken down and held down we should also Get back up and demand attention.

If civilization is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships - the ability of all peoples, of all kinds, to live together, in the same world at peace. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Paradise is showing what average people were doing at the time of the attacks and how everything was paradise but also how it can be changed and taken away like that. It shows that it affected the whole nation not just a select few.

My City of Ruins is the perfect ending it depicts what was happening during the attacks and the aftermath. It is a strong and thought provoking song; a perfect ending.

Serenity (5)

July 21st 2006

Um, all you did was talk about the meaning of each song, you didn't describe the music or anything...

RandyfromPennywise

Good advice Kat.

I'm not going to vote negatively against it because it's your first review. Aim for a conclusion next time, or even better you can edit this one and add one in. Keep truckin'.

July 21st 2006

i know i didnt describe the music or anything that was what the other one was only about and ya i play guitar so i probably could have but in this album the meaning meant more to me then the music played even thought how the music is played is vary important in getting the point across. but hey give me a break i was up at 4 in the mornin and this was my first review

July 21st 2006

i dont wanna sound mean but hey i will make these changes and thank you. I really am sorry if i used "u" instead of "you" my english teacher would be so mad at me. This Message Edited On 07.21.06

July 21st 2006

i have a question how do you edit it or do u just have to cpoy and paste it and make the neccesary changes?

Patrick
July 21st 2006

ummm crappy review but I won't neg you. Bruce Springsteen is pretty good, not fabulous, in my book, but this album blows me away.

"u" instead of "you" doesn't fly well around here.

another reason why i like this site.

July 23rd 2006

some comments got erased why and my changes did too. It took me about an hour or more to edit it.

July 23rd 2006

samthebassman
August 7th 2007

Decent album, review is a bit of a stinker though...

September 18th 2011

This album needs a good review...

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

thatdudeud0ntknow
September 18th 2011

Great album, really like Countin' On A Miracle and Worlds Apart. Still don't think this is one of Springsteen's best though.

September 18th 2011

It's definitely his best in a long time, though

thatdudeud0ntknow
September 18th 2011

True, very true. Probably his best since Tunnel of Love. Should really give this another spin soon, haven't listened to it in ages. Was actually thinking of reviewing it sometime too.

September 18th 2011

I would love to see that review, then ;)

NightProwler
June 21st 2012

This album is so good. Don't know why I hadn't rated it 'till now.

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

jonnyreb9

review bad......fire good

FiveLeavesLeft
February 20th 2013

Another reviewer who will live in infamy with one horrid review...

nononsense
February 20th 2013

Another reviewer who will live in infamy with one horrid review

It's a shame, really.