Bob Dylan
Desire

by sadisticmonkey USER (8 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 35 replies | 8,946 views

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

#174 On Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums of all time.

(1976) Bob Dylan - "Desire"

Straight off the monster success of "Blood On The Tracks", Bob dylan once again heads backs to his roots for this amazing chart topping album, "Desire". Dylan had the help of country star Emmy Lou Harris on the vocals for "Desire".

Hurricane - 10/10
The epic story/ballad of The Hurricane. Rubin Carter, former boxer wrongfully framed for the murder of three people in a bar. This song is rather lengthy, but its message hits very hard. This is one of Dylan's most powerful and political songs. Criticized for some language used in the song ( he says ****** :eek: ). This song is an amazing display of storytelling.

Isis - 7.5/10
Weaker song on this LP. About a failed marriage and the journey to find answers to many questions. His quest eventually leads himself back to her. The song has some nice violin sections in it as well as some loose bluesy drumming.

Mozambique - 10/10
A nice upbeat love song about Mozambique. A place to fall in love. He speaks of the beautiful women and scenary of the country he loves so dearly.

One More Cup Of Coffee - 10/10
My favorite Bob Dylan song on this album. This song is a tale of the ways of the gypsy. The music and vocals are haunting. The drumming is simple but delivers a solid punch the mood. Soft violin and Emmy Lou's back up vocals make this song very heart wrenching. More recently, this song was covered by The White Stripes on their first, self titled LP "The White Stripes".

Oh, Sister - 10/10
Religious song that pours with emotion. A plea to not to turn your fellow man away. God loves everyone. This song has the trademark Dylan harmonica bits and is graced with more violin. Easily the most beautiful track on the album.

Joey - 8/10
Longest track on the album. An eleven minute song about the life of a criminal who grows up in New York. This song has an overall Italian feel to it. Bob Dylan's Mafia crime boss theme song, I guess.

Romance In Durango - 9/10
A wonderful song about forbidden love in Mexico. A touching tale of love on the run. Gun battles and blood shed fail to destroy a love so true. Nice accordian and Mexican guitar playing.

Black Diamond Bay - 9/10
A nifty country song that is a Ho-Down about the events on Black Diamond Bay. Good old fashion rambling about nothing is to be found on here. Nice violin joins Dylan in the Ho-Down....He also speaks french in parts of the song (oui,oui).

Sara - 9/10
The song about Bob Dylan's wife. A dark song about his failed marriage. Very very heartfelt tribute to what was once a wonderful romance. This song closes off the album on a dark note as he begs his wife to never leave him. :upset:

Reviewers Picks
Hurricane
Mozambique
One More Cup Of Coffee
Oh, Sister

Overall Rating - 8.5/10
One of Dylans more successful albums, commercially. This album has some essential Dylan tracks that can't be missed. Some songs tend to drag out quite a bit like Dylans earlier albums. Check it out.

Modest Mouse Everywhere And His Nasty Parlour TricksFleetwood Mac Rumours
David Bowie The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust...David Bowie Diamond Dogs
David Bowie The Man Who Sold the WorldDavid Bowie Space Oddity
DesolationRow (4)

hoboLICIOUS

sadisticmonkey
August 12th 2004

[QUOTE=hoboLICIOUS]my teacher played bob dylan in class one time in 8th grade. it wasn't that bad. i liked "times they are a-changin' " and that one song with "how many mountains must a man walk up" or something like that. didn't care too much for his voice, though, i gotta say. one-time deal for me.[/QUOTE]

well that early 60's Dylan... this is late 1976... very different style

Humor99
August 12th 2004

The 2nd song would be "Blowin' in the Wind." Monkey's right, the style changes a lot, even from those two songs to 1965 with the release of Highway 61 Revisited. If you ever get a chance to check out Dylan from 1965 onwards, do it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

sadisticmonkey
August 12th 2004

Highway 61 Revisited and later is the best Dylan...

early 60's Dylan is a little dated for me...

Amenta
August 14th 2004

I like Dylan's early stuff a lot, haven't really heard his old stuff. His strongest aspect is his lyrics in my opinion, and from the review it sounds as though he kept his lyrical talent throughout his career. So, I will definately check it out. Good review.

Kevin Rhoads21
August 14th 2004

this is one of dylans greatest albums, absolutley amazing, hurricanes a great song for beginner guitarists, violinists, and singers

Creedence Clearwater
August 16th 2004

Yes, the contrasts between Dylans work in different time periods is apparent, but for me the greatest songwriter ever never produced work i dont like, expect maybe some of that mid 80's stuff.....

In terms of desire, I think its a great album, I love "Sara" and it was good that he was able to keep things going after Blood on the Tracks

manoulos
August 16th 2004

a good follow-up to blood on the tracks, which seemed pretty difficult to achieve. Yet, i think it has some counterpoints. Mozambique is catchy but little more (7/10); Romance in Durango is horrible IMO (3/10). On the other hand, Isis is wonderful to me (10/10) and I agree completely with One more cup... and Sister. Good review, and excellent album (8/10)

Jam2Me
December 11th 2005

I love "Black Diamond Bay," such a great story.

Obviously "Hurricane" is a classic, "Mozambique" really rubs me the right way, I can't get enough of that song, and everything else is just solid Dylan music.

sennabutton
January 25th 2006

This is the best Dylan album ever, there's not one song that bores me, ever!!!

Kingofdudes
February 6th 2006

I think this is my favorite Dylan album now. "Black Diamond Bay" is so good.

I find it funny that the "Members Also Liked:" list is almost 100% made up of albums on my list. One of them being a Grind band :x

Sepstrup
June 2nd 2006

I think this is a bit overrated. It's definitely not up there with his best albums at all.

DownPaymentBlues78
June 4th 2006

For a post-John Wesley Harding, it's amazing. It's not near as good to his Freewheelin'/The Times They Are A-Changin'/Another Side of Bob Dylan/Bringing it All Back Home/Highway 61 Revisited/ Blonde on Blonde streak, but it's much better than his stuff from Street Legal to Time Out of Mind

dudeinthepassinglane
October 6th 2006

DEAR GOD!!! How can you call Isis a so- so song???? It's easily one my favfe Dylan songs, and I got about ten albums. Desire's one of his best, probabl;y his best of the 70s (I'm in the minority here, but I like it a little better than Blood on the Tracks).

Don't get me wrong though, good review!

October 6th 2006

Isis gets kinda boring after a few listens.

Hurricane still stands as one of Dylan's greatest songs.

scheim
November 17th 2006

When I put this on (as I just did), I always skip "Hurricane." It doesn't have much of a melody, it has obvious lyrics, and it kind of goes on and on and on . . . .

I really think "Isis" is a great song.

I agree that "One More Cup of Coffee" is the best thing on this album.

AnyColour74
November 17th 2006

:eek: egad!

heart_shaped_box
January 8th 2007

ISIS!!!!! Only the best song ever... They are all equal in their greatness...

Iai
January 8th 2007

Hate to be a party-pooper, but I think this is the worst Dylan album I've heard. It just seems so boring and false to me.

Sepstrup
January 9th 2007

It's far from his best, but there are several brilliant songs here. Why does it seem false?