David Bowie
Diamond Dogs

by sadisticmonkey USER (8 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 18 replies

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

(1974) David Bowie - "Diamond Dogs"

David Bowie: vocals, guitar, saxes, moog and mellotron
Mike Garson: piano
Alan Parker: guitar on the track '1984'
Herbie Flowers: bass
Tony Newman: drums
Anysley Dunbar: drums
Tony Visconti: strings

After the ever popular success of Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" and "Aladdin Sane" persona's (and minus the covers only album "Pin-Ups") Bowie released "Diamond Dogs". As you may or may not know, this album was written to be made into a musical based on the George Orwell Novel "1984". David Bowie could not secure the rights to the story, thus went on to turn his efforts into an album. Many critics were hard on this album. They claimed it wasn't nearly as good as his last 2 Wonder Albums. Here is what I've come to say about "Diamond Dogs". One of the most underrated, passed on Bowie LP's.

Future Legend - 6/10
A spoken intro, depicting a dark apocalyptic view of the future ahead of us. Disturbing dialogue mixed with eerie music and children's voices leads the listener up to the next track.

Diamond Dogs - 9/10
The albums title track starts off as sort of a hypnotic zombie style march, but then quickly shoots of into sort of a jazzy rock song about the Diamond Dogs, who are presumably one of two things. Ghoulish blood sucking woman... or Ghoulish blood sucking whores. Either way, this track is really snazzy. Cool saxophone parts included.

Sweet Thing - 9/10
Here is a very touching song. It starts off with slow with some cool sound effects, but then we are left to piano, vocals and some nice distorted guitar. The song sings about dark sexual desire. Almost like a theme song for prostitution this song really pulls at the heart. Very emotional song.

Candidate - 8/10
This song is part of a medley. Continued from the last song. Similar tune even. This song is about dirty politicians and government scandals and cover ups. Nice sax and guitar work done on this tune.

Sweet Thing (Reprise) - 8/10
Continued from the last two tracks, we have the reprise of Sweet Thing. The song is the same (more emotional singing by David) and there is some added instrumental, which showcases the wild experimental side of album's composition.

Rebel Rebel - 10/10
Here we have Rebel Rebel. One of Bowie's greatest radio friendly hits. It was his second biggest hit since "Space Oddity". Everyone has heard this song on the rock and roll stations, without a doubt (You'd know it if you heard it). This song is pretty much a rock anthem for falling in love with the bad girl. You want her, you need her, but she is such a bad ***. Intro guitar riff is quite possibly one of the best from the 70's. Great song to party to.

Rock N' Roll With Me - 9/10
Here is a lesser known song. But a great one nonetheless. A sing-a-long anthem for rock and roll. Piano based song, great swaying tempo. Awesome reverb on the guitar parts. All round a wonderful, upbeat rock song.

We Are The Dead - 7.5/10
Here is where we can see the novel "1984"s influence start creeping in. This song reflects upon the mood of the classic book. People having no control on their lives, and having to live every moment under careful watch of the government power figures. Nothing fancy about this song. Fits well with the mood of the album.

1984 - 10/10
Here it is folks. Pre-Disco, DISCO. This song is a swinging dance song. Reminds me a bit of "Dancing Queen" by ABBA meets "Thriller" By Michael Jackson. A very flashy song based on Orwell's brilliant novel about government control. Moreso a disco funk song than a rocker. Brilliant, regardless.

Big Brother - 9/10
Another song based directly on the novel. This song is about the influence of the government ("Big Brother" was the name of the power figure in the novel. The quote "Big Brother Is Watching You" was of vital importance to the novel, as it represented the ever watching eye over your every day life.). This song pretty much rocks about being controlled and manipulated by the higher powers. A very interesting song that ends up sounding really good.

Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family - 8/10
The album closes off with a strange outro, similar to the intro...This time, much like an event in the novel, all that we can hear is the chanting of "BIG BROTHER". Cool music accompanies this and the album fades off.

Reviewers Picks
Diamond Dogs
Sweet Thing
Rebel Rebel

Overall Rating - 8.5/10

As this underrated album fades off to the chants of:
Shake it up, shake it up
Move it up, move it up

....So does a part of David Bowie. His career was never quite the same after this album. He pretty much dropped most of the sparkling attire and makeup and adopted a more clean cut persona (The Thin White Duke).

I recommend that fans of Bowie and concept albums pick this one up. There are some very good songs to be heard on here.

Modest Mouse Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour TricksFleetwood Mac Rumours
Bob Dylan DesireDavid Bowie The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust...
David Bowie The Man Who Sold the WorldDavid Bowie Space Oddity
Dylan S. (5)
One of the most memorable and unique albums, created by a man just as memorable....

Chrisjon89 (4.5)
A cohesive and enjoyable concept album to close Bowie's glam rock phase....

Major Tom (4)
The howl of Halloween Jack....

August 11th 2004

This is one of my favorite albums man, awesome.

August 11th 2004

[QUOTE=sadisticmonkey]Yeah, after re-listening to this cd, I can totally see why this man is one of the greatest[/QUOTE]

Live, he's a God. :eek:

August 12th 2004

Im nowhere near seeing him live... His heart attack didn't help matters.

If I can see him and Bob Dylan live before they (or I) croak.... I'll be a happy man

August 14th 2004

Unfortunally, My sister saw him recently. He played right beside her house (How lucky is that?) A great Bowie CD. Alot of true Bowie Classics on this Cd.

October 11th 2005

I need to get this, I love Rebel Rebel.

November 22nd 2005

Excellent album. One of his best. And thumbs up for the review

May 26th 2006

Rebel Rebel is such a great tune.

Ziggy On Bass
May 26th 2006

Diamond Dogs is my wake up alarm. Hat's off to ya.

June 10th 2006

i love david bowie, all of his albums are kick ass

September 13th 2009

Big Brother is such and amazing song

January 5th 2010

the lyrics on here are some of his best, especially considering the bonus tracks

Digging: J.J. Hrubovcak - Death Metal Christmas

May 14th 2011

Okay. But not as good as the three previous albums HD, ZS and AS.

Allright generel level of quality. But too few big songs.

Best songs: Diamond Dogs, Sweet Thing, Candidate and Rebel Rebel.

January 23rd 2012

another timeless album

February 2nd 2012

Best: Suite Thing, 1984, We Are the Dead, Big Brother, the bonus tracks

June 7th 2012

The album foxed (or dogged?) this 12 year-old Bowie fan in 1974. Dumbly I could not get the album listing, as I thought that Future Legend belonged to Diamond Dogs etc. I just did not understand how tracks could segue into eachother. I took it back to the shop in Manchester and asked for my money back as I thought at least 3 tracks were missing. I'd love a video clip of that now, but that was all in the future back then...just like 1984. The album still foxes me...how did all this come from a pop star working pretty much alone in a studio; drugged into oblivion and coping with the kind of fame trip few have faced alone? The music is unbearably beautiful in parts; like the sound of Paradise Lost on speed. Quite simply another masterpiece from the brow of the superbrain.

January 18th 2013