Sigur Ros
( )

by Matt Conrad USER (25 Reviews)
July 12th, 2006 | 73 replies | 5,462 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Imagine for a moment that you are standing on the edge of eternity. Behind you, all of existence, everything that is seen and felt in the universe. Ahead of you, a void of nothingness, more strange and alien than the world we inhabit. A tone appears to resonate from this abyss. You feel as though you are familiar with the sound, as if you've heard it a million times. Is this a figment of your overactive imagination, overwhelmed by your current locale? Is this tone a reality? Surely not, provided where you happen to be standing.

(This tone continues, and a sound appears that is surely impossible: a few notes on a piano are being played by some unseen entity. The void ahead of you is changing, for shapes are taking form. You see various images of the life you know, the environment in which you surround yourself, the people whom you encounter. You also see various places and peoples you have never seen, vast mountain chains and crowds of anonymous strangers appear before you, the grand seas that nourish and bring life to your planet. You are overcome with the beauty of this imagery, coupled with the sounds you are hearing. You begin to hear some sort of speaking that is as alien as it is recognizable. The feeling you previously felt of utter loneliness suddenly dissipates upon the recognition of a human voice.

Seemingly, these tones start to register within your brain. You're hearing a dissonant, bowed guitar and bass, with drum beats, along with that welcoming, comforting voice. You seem, although comforted with what you are hearing, small and insignificant due to your being's locale. More scenes flash into the void, comparable to an endless, titanic projection screen. You are now witnessing Olympus Mons, the largest mountain in your solar system. Its dimensions and sheer power of intimidation compliments the sound you're hearing perfectly, what you now call 'music.' It is as if you are standing before the very Hand of God Itself.

All of a sudden, a silence strikes into your very soul. Panic floods over your body as if a cold thundershower is culled from the void. This goes on for about a half a minute as your confusion and fear continue to manifest themselves within your psyche. A reversion in the void takes place, when once again it becomes the lifeless, empty hollow it once was.

However, your optimism conquers your fear, as once again a tone appears, much as the one heard at the beginning of your endeavor at the fringe of existence. This one isn't the same, though. This tone differs in that you aren't given epic images of mountains or the sea, you are presented with images of a bleak disposition. Replacing the crowds of strangers are starving children, bags of flesh and bone. Instead of oceans your witness barren deserts. In the place of mountains and of the sights of your planet you can find only destruction, the decimation of your species. The music continues to accelerate, creating an almost positive feeling. One singular image becomes visible: the infamous mushroom cloud, the ultimate symbol of the negativity of you and your genus. You recall and suddenly connect with the gibberish lyrics in this upbeat symphony of destruction before your ears.

No more images appear as the music ascends to the point of pure emotional ecstasy. The drums reverberate into your eardrums as your mood changes quite significantly. The everlasting gloom that came upon you after the silence disappears, an instantly insignificant memory. A pale, peach and yellow color enters and overwhelms the void before you. The bowed guitars and resonating bass clash perfectly with the vocals that soar as if on the wings of an eagle. The music fades out and you are left standing, stranded by your emotional awe at what you have just witnessed, the utter joy, the dejection upon confronting ultimate destruction. The once-comforting song of that beautiful human voice is all but an illusion. The melodies and rhythms are ghosts within the void. As this music regresses, you do as well. You can't respond in any matter known to you but one.

You shed a singular tear. This tear is everything encompassed within the experience. The tear is one of hope. Hope for the future of existence, for the future of the destructive nature of mankind. Could this be a shed tear for humanity itself? Perhaps.)

This is how I feel about this album. This review was probably the hardest thing for me to express in words. Everyone has a different perspective of our world and existence. So, I challenge you, the listener. Listen to this album. Don't fight the emotions you feel. Remember these feelings. Write them down, discuss them with people. Keep them private or share them, whatever. Just respond. Keep that hope for a better day alive in your expressiveness.

THE RATING
5/5

Cursive The Ugly OrganIsis Sawblade
Nine Inch Nails Year ZeroSaviour Machine Legend Part I
Deftones White PonyChroma Key Graveyard Mountain Home
4.3

July 12th 2006

What's up? I thought this album was already up?

Anywho, any and all crit is welcome, folks!

July 12th 2006

Cool review, I agree, but this was already added as an album with a few prior reviews. An album with cover art, a release date and a tracklist I might add. Good job anyway

EDIT: Bah, beat to it. Are you sure you spelled () right?This Message Edited On 07.12.06

FlawedPerfection
July 12th 2006

This is a very interesting review. I like where you went with it, very profound. A little more description of the music would have been nice, but I'll pos it because it's extremely well written. I understand what you are saying with the review since I know the album.

July 12th 2006

Dan, I chose it from a list, so the spelling didn't really come into question I think.

Thank you both, though!

Daven
July 12th 2006

Very good review man. Sigur Ros is a great band.

July 12th 2006

As in the review or the album, Hep Kat? Cuz I'll send it to you no problemo.

Thanks, Daven!

Killtacular
July 12th 2006

Untitled 3 is the greatest piece of music in the history of mankind.

Fact.

July 12th 2006

I agree, Scruples, whole-heartedly.

July 12th 2006

Yeah, it is pretty amazing.

July 12th 2006

Well gee, now I want to hear it.

July 12th 2006

haha...I guess I'll upload this for the R&M Daily Upload.

July 12th 2006

Just put the lyrics on here and I'll create my own melody and judge it as I see fit.

What lyrics?

July 12th 2006

Well, umm....there really aren't lyrics, just like nine gibberish syllibles (sp?).

Look on Wikipedia for a general idea.

July 12th 2006

Well I was joking but apparently it wasn't funny ELIMINATOR: SAY NOTHING!

July 12th 2006

Well that was totally predictable.

July 12th 2006

So, do you guys want me to upload this mutha or what?

Yes sir.

July 12th 2006

Well, I'll do it in the morning/sometime tomorrow....later gator...

sgrevs
July 13th 2006

Mental good album. Powerful stuff.