Avenged Sevenfold
Sounding the Seventh Trumpet

by Drunken Viking USER (20 Reviews)
July 8th, 2006 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Avenged Sevenfold started off their career in 2000 practicing in singer M. Shadow's garage. Where they recorded a demo tape and were picked up by the independent record label, Hopeless Records, where they released Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. They are quite different from the band you know today, tearing up the charts with their hit singles Bat Country, Beast And The Harlot, and the recently released Seize the Day. They're even different from Waking the Fallen's previous hit single Unholy Confessions. But back to the history, on this album their now current bass player Johnny Christ wasn't in the band yet, and Justin Sane played all of the bass on Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. You guys probably remember Synyster Gates as well, well he only made one appearance on this entire album, and surprise surprise it's a solo on the opening track To End Rapture. Enough of this biography, onto the album at hand!

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet is a very unique album, and I mean that in a good way. It's full blown metalcore, and I'm not talking watered down Atreyu type metalcore, I mean real true metalcore. Full of pounding rhythms, audible bass, a few guitar solos, and various breakdowns. STST is an all around great album. Well then why only a 3.5/5 you might ask, because while still a good album, it is nowhere near what they are capable of. The production is mediocre at best, and Shadow's vocals bring it down. His voice is definitely weaker than on City Of Evil or Waking the Fallen, he even has some trouble harmonizing on tracks like "Warmness on the Soul". His vocals also come off as whiny and poor on almost every track during the clean singing. As I said before the production isn't very good, and that effects the harsh vocals in a negative way. Where as during the beginning of Darkness Surrounding" he screams "Darkness coats us!", it sounds more like "Arkness Oats us" only that's all slurred together to make one word.

I mentioned some technical drums and audible bass before, I wasn't lying =0. The drums play a much bigger roll in the sound than most bands. During "Darkness Surrounding" there is even a drum solo of sorts. It's not as technical as most of the album, but it sure does make for an interesting passage. The Rev really uses his toms and double bass a lot on this album, it showcases some of my favorite drumming from him. Like for example, "The Art Of Subconscious Illusions" , during the first verse, he breaks into a unique blend of accented double bass and floor tom hits, with a few cymbal crashes. The bass complements this very well. On their most recent release Sevenfold have almost cut the bass out of the mix, save a few songs, but on STST they seem to embrace Justin's bass playing. On almost every song the bass is audible, and usually playing some hard shit. Justin also doesn't follow the guitar lines as much as Johnny (Christ, current bassist).

I haven't said this before, but STST has really unique song structures. It's not your typical intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge/breakdwon-solo-chorus-chorus structure here. It's a lot more diverse, yes they have some choruses, but this album reminds me a lot of Dillinger Escape Plan's Miss Machine, in that it has no set song structure, and it's really a free for all. This isn't like most metalcore albums either, most of their songs are in the five minute range. They even brought out the piano for the power ballad "Warmness on the Soul".

Now onto the guitar playing/production elements. The guitar is mostly rhythm sections, with a few lead breaks, "To End Rapture", "Warmness on the Soul", and "An Epic Of Time Wasted" all show lead playing. The guitar tone however leads much to be desired. It's very muddy, and because there are two guitars played for almost every track it mixes together and really makes it sound like the guitar playing is sloppy. The production isn't all bad though, as I have said before the mix is great, everything is equally put together. and the drums sound really good, it's just the vocals and guitar that give it a bad name.

In conclusion this album whilst not City Of Evil or Waking the Fallen is still a very solid effort nonetheless. It's definitely harder to get into than most albums, as it's lacking the catchiness of their newer works, but by no means is this bad. It makes it more unique and better in my opinion.

Recommended Tracks:

Bleeding Through The TruthMetallica Kill 'Em All
good
Brendan Schroer (3.2)

DarthMann (3.5)
Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is an original, experimental piece of work that successfully achieves w...

Spec (4)
A metalcore debut full of imperfections, instrumental chaos and painful screamed vocals that come to...

TurnTheOtherWay (4)

July 8th 2006

Good review. An Epic of Time Wasted and Shattered by Broken Dreams are sweet songs.

metallicaman8

Adequate review
/votes

Drunken Viking
July 8th 2006

This was my first non track-by-track so I'm glad it worked out well.

Hunter555
July 9th 2006

Great Review. I like this album way more than WTF though.

TurnTheOtherWay
July 10th 2006

Nice review. I agree with most of the points you made except for the guitar tone. I liked it. Also, I couldn't even make out the "Arkness Oats us" part upon first listening. It's that hard to understand Matt on this album. I still love that scream and this album, though.

Drunken Viking
July 12th 2006

Just thought I'd bump since there were only a few coments thanks to the server.

SGT SNIP3R
October 6th 2006

This is a great CD. My 2nd favorite out of the three. I love the intro song, turn the other way, darkness surrounding, and shattered by broke dreams. Good review also, though I give this CD a four out of 5. I wish that they would go back to their harder stuff like this album, but I understand what the band is talking about when they say they wanted to get out of the metalcore genre. All in all though, I suggest getting this album if you like Waking The Fallen, but it may take a couple listens to it to adjust to the brutal heaviness that this album is.

Steerpike
October 6th 2006

No offense, but your idea of "brutal heaviness" and that of myself and many other users is so different, it's like comparing American beer with Russian vodka.

Anyway, I have no plans on purchasing this album. Shadows' vocals pre-CoE were a real ear-rape. Totally ruined it for me.This Message Edited On 10.07.06

SCREAM!
October 7th 2006

OMG PIKEY'S BACK!

cbmartinez
November 23rd 2006

Best album by them. So br00tal.

RottedFlesh
November 23rd 2006

This is good...but A7X definantly gets better gradually in the next two albums imo. I really like City Of Evil and am in no way offended by the vocal change.

Confessed2005
November 24th 2006

Fairly good album. I have kind of stopped listening to this band now. WtF is probably their best album in my opinion.

synyster1

this is my least fav a7x but still pretty good kewl review

lycanthropic
November 24th 2006

This is the better of A7X's three records IMO, it's much more agressive. And even the most heartfelt track on the record (Warmness on the Soul) Has an extreme level of intensity.

Bfhurricane
November 25th 2006

Nice. I give this a listen every now and then.
I've been on a dire search for sheet music/guitarpro tablature to "Warmness on the Soul" but can't find anything, I'd like to learn that piano

synyster1
November 25th 2006

i think coe was the best for drumming its very creative unlike the other two

RIPkezia
November 25th 2006

Good reveiw. However, I accually enjoy shadow's old vocals just as much as his current ones. And yea, the drumming is much more creative and unique on CoE.

Brutal Heavyness..... *chuckles*

SGT SNIP3R
November 25th 2006

haha guys, when i said 'brutal heavyness' i said that in comparison to CoE. by no means is this the heaviest cd ever, or the heaviest I like, but I meant that STST compared to CoE is brutally heavy. I don't know if that makes sense to you guys but thats what I was going at.

I'm glad by me saying that, that you guys got a good chuckle out of it.

Steerpike
November 25th 2006

Well, I appreciate the clarification. Though I still would say that any heaviness on this album was more or less stumbled into.
Also, for the sake of argument, there are multiple ways ot achieve heaviness. Harsh vocals are raw production are just one approach. I personally am a huge fan of the very elegant approach that doom metal bands take by creating oppressive atmospheres.