D.A.F.
Alles Ist Gut

by Matthew Dreany USER (18 Reviews)
July 7th, 2006 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1981 | Tracklist

Lately i've been into the first wave of Industrial, looking at every website imaginable to get opinions on what albums to listen to. I almost always agree with the general opinion of an album. Usually if the average rating is 4.5 or better, I end up loving the album.

And so I run into Alles Ist Gut. and i'm going to be honest. This album didn't have to be the most well recieved to get my attention. This album caught my eye right away. Well, because look. It's just so sexy. There, I said it. I'm a straight guy, but I still found this cover very sexy. Nothing is sexier than a Sweaty German Guy who's looking at the camera like he is about to have his way with whomever is viewing the photo.

The crazy thing about the cover art is that it represents the album perfectly: Dark, Sexual, and German. Even if you don't know one word of German, you can tell That Gabi Delgado is not G-Rated. All of the songs on this album are very Dark and sleazy.

On Rote Lippen, Gabi practically orgasms after every line to a pulsing electronic beat Rote Lippen is the most listenable song on the album because D.A.F. do the 2 things that they are best at: Funky Synth and over the top Sexuality, and Rote Lippen contains the most of both on the album.. If sex or simplistic Synthesizers are pet-peeves of yours. Chances are you won't like this album. as the orgasms don't stop with Mein Herz Macht Bum which isn't actually as perverted as it sounds. It roughly translates to:

"i'm ecstatic. i feel dizzy. like the rollercoaster.
like the big dipper. your eyes are so blue and
pretty. my heart goes boom boom boom "

But as much as I love this album, it's greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness. Every song on this album is very good, but the tracks just don't stand out enough for me. I'm conflicted, because a lot of the tracks sound the same, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. But still the album does not have great replay value. And even I have trouble remembering which song is which sometimes.

Though not every song on the album stands out, that doesn't mean that there aren't smash hits on the album. My favorite being Sato-Sato which has the most catchy synth on the album and also the weirdest lyrics delivered in a dark way by Gabi.

The most controversial song on the album and D.A.F.'s breakthrough hit is Der Mussolini and yep, you guessed it, the song is about Benito Mussolini. and it is histerical. It's the most original song ever, Rather than a political song about what an evil person Mussolini was, it has nothing to politics, it's just about Mussolini, shaking his ***, moving his hips, along with his Dancing partners Adolf Hitler and Jesus Christ.

Verlier Nicht Den Kopf has a buzzing Synth with positive lyrics by Gabi Delgado, though the lyrics are different from the rest of the album, the Music is the same: Groovy synth, with nice drumming and a harsh Delivery from Gabi.

On Ich Und Die Wirklichkeit The Synth takes a back seat to the great drums throughout the song, and the song is basically about how harsh reality can be, another break from sexuality.

But that's about as far as the album goes without sexuality. The Album's most sexually charged song, Als War's Das Letze Mal Is about having sex as if it was the last time. A really great song that shows that D.A.F. know what they're good at, and they give the listener as much sexuality in every song as they can.

If I have heard one thing the most about D.A.F., it's that they are like a younger, more Punk version of Kraftwerk. I disagree with this, because I think that the only thing D.A.F. have in common is that they both are German acts and they use Synthesizers. But I do agree that D.A.F. have a very punk vibe to them. Alles Ist Gut seems like it deeply influenced the entire Electroclash genre. The Punkiest song on the album is easily Alle Gegen Alle which translates to "Everybody Fights Everybody" The lyrics seem almost like a stylized gang-fight.

On the final track, the Title track Alles Ist Gut is actually most likely the weakest on the album. With the only Synth that isn't that catchy on the whole album, the Drums are slow and a bit bland and the Delivery from Gabi is just okay. Not a bad track, just not as good as the others.

Though a lot of the album does sound alike, Der Räuber Und Der Prinz is completely unique, combining many different sounds and effects with a very high pitched Keyboard line, and almost whispered lyrics from Gabi. The song is unlike anything else on the album, that is except for the odd lyrics, which is a given, but the lyrics on this are especially odd:

"a beautiful young prince. got lost in the woods.
suddenly night fell. so the robbers caught him.
but one of the robbers loved the prince. i love
you my prince. i love you my robber."

Though this album could've been a lot more varied, it is extremely good, and If you're going to have songs in the same style, I'm glad they're in this way. Because I love Synthesizers and Sleaziness, and Alles Ist Gut is Packed with it.

Pros
Very unique from other music

Gabi Delgado may be the most charismatic Lead Singer in Industrial history (Which is saying a lot, considering Other Leaders such as Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle, John Balance of Coil, & Steven Stapleton of Nurse With Wound )

Extremely Catchy

Cons
The tracks just aren't that varied. The song could be about Buying a pair of pants and it still sounds like he's talking about having a sweaty sex session with someone

Time has been very rude to the production of this album. It sounds horribly dated (Something I actually enjoy, but others may not)

Recommended Tracks
"Sato-Sato"
"Der Mussolini"
"Rote Lippen"
"Der Räuber Und Der Prinz"
"Verlier Nicht Den Kopf"