Coheed and Cambria
Kerrang! / XFM UK Acoustic Sessions

by Ian USER (108 Reviews)
July 4th, 2006 | 29 replies | 13,426 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Yesterday was like any other day. I was visiting multiple sites that were related to Coheed and Cambria, including Cobalt and Calcium. On the front page of the site I ran across a little article that Coheed has an acoustic titled “Kerrang! / XFM UK Acoustic Sessions – EP" out exclusively on iTunes. Being the utterly addicted fanboy I am I immediately started downloading the four-track album. Going in I knew there was no way in hell that I’d be disappointed and I was of course right.

“Welcome Home" is as daunting as it’s electric version and opens things up here. The beginning part is really cool with the tremolo picking giving off a slight ‘frap’ noise. The drums and bass correspond well alongside the guitars and during the verses produce a lovely marching beat. After a full minute Claudio finally comes in and with the quality of a produced recording agitatedly sings the verses to the song. In the story the writer has opened his refrigerator to find his ex-love, Erica Court, and a mysterious, cloaked man. The man is torturing her and shoves her in the ground. “You could have been all I wanted, but you weren’t honest, now get back in the ground." Even though it doesn’t do anything to be different from the original version the tension is raised to a whole new level, which is why it stands out so much. If one of the four acoustic songs has changed a lot it’s “A Favor House Atlantic", the only song on this EP not originally on “Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV: Volume 1". On “In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3" the song is one of the more upbeat tracks, but here it is found at a slower pace with Claudio at a bare whisper most of the time. During the chorus Claudio makes it seem like he’s taking his last breathes by giving the feeling of exasperation at the end of each line.

Having an acoustic version of “Wake Up" though is almost pointless. Other than the actual acoustic song, “Always and Never", on “Good Apollo" it’s the slowest song there and here too. It was useful on the original album because it set up the climax, but putting it here implies that it may eventually be used as a single, which would be a terrible choice. It’s still a great song, but mainly for Claudio’s voice and not the music. “The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut" was amazing before, but now it’s just jaw dropping beautiful. The bass and drums are here and loom over Claudio’s voice while the acoustic guitars cover the background. Claudio’s statement of “You’re a selfish little whore, I’m the selfish little whore. If I had my way I’d crush your face in the door" is spine chilling. The long solo isn’t as enjoyable as its electric version, but is still relaxing enough to catch some Z’s to.

This acoustic EP has revealed a lot for me. Two main things are that Coheed is as great an acoustic band as they are electric and that they have deep roots in Spanish guitar styles. For only having four acoustic songs this EP still manages to cover many moods, anger, depression, excitement, ruefulness, appreciation, and relaxation. The acoustics “A Favor House Atlantic" and “The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut" make it necessary for any Coheed & Cambria fan to download this immediately.

Pros:

+The new version of “A Favor House Atlantic" is breathtaking
+Cover art is amazing to look at
+The emotion of the songs is increased ten fold as acoustics
+Something new to tide rapid Coheed fans (such as myself) over until the next masterpiece is released (which will be a long time)

Cons:
-“Wake Up" isn’t really necessary here

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Wolves & Machines AilmentsKrizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'

The Sludge
July 5th 2006

Honestly, this seems like a must get for me. I'm a sucker for anything acoustic and CoCa just does it for me. Just that I dont get into itunes though. Good review though, got me wanting this so bad.

July 5th 2006

I saw them do Welcome Home acoustic on Daily Download and it was sweet. I might have to check this out.

Nice review.

Cygnus Inter Anates
July 5th 2006

Yeah, the version of "A Favor House Atlantic" is pretty cool.

Scoot

Can't stand them.

Digging: Unjust - Glow

The Sludge
July 5th 2006

All because you cant stand them, that dont mean you can just post that you dont stand them without stating why or whether or not it was a good review. It just shows ignorance, even though your avatar does kind of pwn.

DFelon204409
July 5th 2006

I have acoustic demos for their first two LPs if you want them. I forget how I got them but they're pretty cool. Also, the demos include two songs that weren't recorded.

benkickass
July 5th 2006

I love that cover art! All I have heard is "Welcome Home" and 'tis most awsome.

(>dragon~guitarist<)
July 5th 2006

The EP is awesome, got it off of iTunes, great stuff!

July 5th 2006

Hmm got this album from a considerate person at Cobalt.

I can honestly say that it is fcking awesome. My fav song on the album is the jazz version of AFHA. Shows how much they can change their sound and still sound beautiful. I've heard many versions of the welcome home acoustic and it didn't change much here altho i was swestruck the first time i heard it.

The final cut is also sweet. Soothing yet chilling in a way.

Get this. It's worth it.

P.S. And honestly, is any album art better?

Edit: sry, lag.This Message Edited On 07.05.06

July 7th 2006

Yeah DFelon, I'd love those acoustic songs. Do you have MSN now?

Two-Headed Boy
July 7th 2006

The acoustic version of "Welcome Home" is the epitomy of epic. Otherwise I haven't heard anything from this EP, but your review makes we want to hop to it.

DFelon204409
July 7th 2006

Dude, SIAT, msn will never work for me. It's AIM or nothing man. Also, I wanna hear this "jazz" version of AFHA. I don't believe it.

July 8th 2006

I don't know why that guy says it's a jazz version, that's not true at all.
Ah well, DF, AIM stopped signing me in a long time ago and Trillion is a bitch to me so it just won't happen.

DJ Ducksauce
July 12th 2006

Yeah I dl'd this last week. Love it. I heard the acoustic AFHA on Myspace and wanted to hear the rest.

COCA FTW

July 15th 2006

AFHA IS jazzed up on this album, SIAT.

Love it!

...it's not jazz!

Iluvatar

This is okay.

south_of_heaven 11
July 16th 2006

Eh, these guys never really did it for me. Instrumentally though, they do write some cool stuff. But I just can't dig it.

July 16th 2006

I loves me some Coheed. I should check this out.