Death Angel
Frolic Through the Park

by Dethtrasher USER (232 Reviews)
July 2nd, 2006 | 27 replies | 7,855 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Death Angel's first album was high-quality thrash metal, their second album shows progress from the band but it doesn't have the same edge as their first album had. This album is named ¨Frolic ThroughThe Park¨, the sound is still technical and fast and the lyrics has been improved, but I often skip the lyrics because this metal genre does not have any special messages when it comes to song writing but of course there are bands with great lyrics as well. Mark's vocals has been changed a bit, his voice is somewhat more stabile but the sudden screams he used in their first effort is now rare in this album. The vocals are also calmer and lamer on some songs that I will come back to later. The band members is the same as the first album and there crew members are following:

Mark Osegueda - vocals
Rob Cavestany - guitars
Gus Pepa - guitars
Dennis Pepa - bass
Andy Galeon - drums

SONGS THAT I LIKED
In this album I found out that some songs was really good and they were kicking a**, but I also found some songs that I was really disappointed at so I will begin the good stuff first. We start with the opening track ¨3rd Floor¨, contains alots of fine shredds and intenive, pounding drums. The song is catchy and is one of my favorites of this album. Right after this song we jump to the second track ¨Road Mutants¨, starts with a bass intro and the song gets faster and heavier, this is a great song because it also has mighty fine riffs and the catchiness-factor is quite high. ¨Why You Do This¨ is an eight minute song and it is sounds very similar to ¨Exodus¨ type of style when it comes to drums and riffing. The song is quite intensive but it is not so catchy or heavy. ¨Devil's Metal¨ starts with a slow half-solo along with some bass tunes and drumbeats, after this intro the song gets better. Fast but yet simple shredds and catchy drumwork is the main ingrediens in this song, a good song but it was to short. ¨Guilty Of Innocence¨ is also one of my favorite tracks, it hammers on with some typical thrash riffs, drums and bass enters after a while. The song is a thrash-attacking song, very catchy riffs and the drums has many different patterns. ¨Shores Of Sin¨ is also one of my favorite song so this section will soon end, the song has a long intro which is mostly based on edited sounds. The song has a deppressing feel during the chorus but the song is in general is technical thrash. Hold on, I forgot ¨Mind Rape¨, the song is an in-your-face type of song, quite fast stuff along with technical riffing, the chorus feels a bit funky but the song is very good.

SONGS I DISLIKED
¨Confused¨ starts with a slow somewhat boring intro riff, but as time goes by the guitars is starting to build up more and more, but it takes some time though. This song is about seven minutes and it often returns to its slow pace. like the one it begind with.¨Cold Gin¨ sounds more like a cover because I think that this song sounds like anything like thrash. The song is basically about Gin and things that goes along with alcohol, thsi song is a slow waging glam-rock song to my ears. And now the the track I hate the most, ¨Bored¨ is one of the songs that is the most funniest songs that Death Angel has written, the intro riff is a muted medium fast riff with no catchiness, it gets heavier after a while but the song structure is just so flat and uninteresting. The vocals are the worst of the album in my opinion, the vocals sounds so lame and odd, this is just 3:25 minutes of wasted time, the only thing that I enjoy is the guitar solo. ¨Open Up¨ is also one of these songs where the structure is odd, the vocals is quite goofy sometimes but I don't really hate the song, I just can't find it interesting. It is also over nine minutes long so you may get bored of this song.

FINAL JUDGEMENT
This was very interesting to listen to though there was some songs that really annoyed me. The band keeps up the good work with the progress with their music. The songs are catchy , most of them, the riffs are more advanced then in the first album but one thing that really disappoitned me was the vocals. I'm missing his screams, thats what made the band unique in one way but the vocals in general are pretty improved. I would recommend this album to any thrash metal fan because all songs has a special sound that would fit most listeners. I hope that this review was helpful and any comments or corrections are welcome.

PROS
+ The band has improved in many ways
+ No song sounds like another
+ The lyrics has been improved
+ Many songs have a high catchy-factor

CONS
- If you liked the screams in the first album you would be disappointed, there are almost no screams here at all
- Some songs is some of the most boring songs I've heard yet

RECOMMENDED TRACKS

Opeth DamnationFleshcrawl Made of Flesh
Sear Lamentations of DestructionTormented Rotten Death
War (swe) We Are...Total WarCrucified Barbara Til Death Do Us Party
FirstStrikeIsDeadly (4)
A transitional phase for Death Angel. Not thrash mayhem like The Ultra-Violence, but a good album on...

YDload
July 2nd 2006

"Devil's Metal" is such an awesome song. Mark Osgueda is one of the few thrash vocalists who can actually SING as opposed to just growling like Hetfield and Mustaine are famous for.

Dethtrasher
July 3rd 2006

I agree with you but Mustaine is one of my favorite thrash singers, I like singers with odd vocals.

FR33L0RD
May 8th 2007

Good Review
you got my vote
Death Angel is always a mix bag;
many generic songs
some bad
few goodsThis Message Edited On 05.08.07

Dragonforce89
February 27th 2009

Very underrated comeon people they are awsome.

TheyTookOurJobs
March 12th 2009

i would like to get this sometime in the future

gutturalmaster
January 1st 2010

Good thrash/speed metal album for fans of this genre.

Voivod
May 18th 2010

You should check out Depressive Age.

Digging: The Golden Grass - The Golden Grass

mark7477
September 30th 2010

This was a really good album by death angel thrash meets 70's rock wow although their version of cold gin wasn't quite as good as the original.

March 31st 2011

19939 Comments

WELCOME TO THE THIRD FLOOR!

TheNotrap
August 13th 2011

I'm BORED

TheNotrap
August 13th 2011

Agreed. Bay Area classic

19434 Comments

jamming this one for the first time ever

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

DrHouseSchuldiner
August 14th 2013

really Good album ....the ultra violence and act are better tho

19434 Comments

yeah i've already heard those ones several times

19434 Comments

the art of dying is pretty cool too

19939 Comments

Awesome album. One of my favourite thrash bands.

19434 Comments

ya they rule. Really been digging annihilator lately too finally bought their first 2 albums

dante1991
October 16th 2013

Album is pretty good, but quite uninspired at times. The fact that they named a song "Bored" is quite ironic considering that's how I felt throughout that song and a few others. Overall it's a mixed bag.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

19939 Comments

"Bored" rules, although granted it's not one of their strongest tracks.

19434 Comments

the art of dying is actually pretty great too check that one if you haven't heard it. Their new album sucks though