Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Deja Vu

by Blair Chopin USER (108 Reviews)
June 30th, 2006 | 21 replies | 7,158 views

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Crosby, Stills Nash and Young came together in 1969 each of the members of this new harmony infused group had previous experiences in other popular bands, David Crosby had been kicked out of The Byrds Graham Nash had been ousted out of the Hollies for butting heads with Hollies lead singer Alan Clarke, Stephen Stills and Neil Young came from the dissolution of Buffalo Springfield. Out of all these breakups came one of the most potent supergroups of the early seventies who recorded one of the most anticipated sophmore albums of all time. The album called Dejavu is a strange mix of pschydelic sounds, catchy country rock , and ear shattering hard along with softer more melodic rock. The album also has a theme of optimism as well as a need for social revolution a notion that was prevalent in the latter half of the sixties and was carried over into the seventies by artist such as Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell and of course the band whom I am referring to right now Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

1. Carry On- Melodic four part harmonies " carry" ( pardon the pun) this song about learning to cope with the hardships of life and learning to see past your self imposed prejudices of people and love everybody for who they are . The pschydelic guitar and bouncing rhythm section of this song make it an instant " Hippified" classic . 5/5.

2. Teach your Children- We have reached a shift my friends! I don't mean a shift in the message just a shift in the music. Teach your Children sounds like a song that should be song by a country group at the Grand Ole Opry. The message of teaching your children so that your children will not make the same mistakes as you is an enlightening and useful message. The ironic touch of the group adding " Teach your parents well." is a good change of pace . 4/5.

3. Almost Cut my hair- Loud roaring guitars, Neil Young's disonant voice, guiding your ears to a story of how a young man " almost" cuts his hair but decides not to. I guess the song is somehow intewined with some hedonistic hippie hypocritical ideology that suggest if they were going to cut off their hair they would lose sight of their " trippy " " Flower Child" identity. Other than that Young just whines on for the entire song. 3/5.

4. Helpless- Great piano and steel guitar opening. This song is also included on Neil Young's greatest hit's album ( Just if you wanted to know.) To me this song is about a young man who is alienated from the rest of the world and searching for answers that he knows that he will never find. Young's voice is not dissonant this time but more mournful as if Young is wishing he were back in his home town of Ontario but " helpless" as to how he can turn back the hands of time. The harmonies added by the rest of the group make this song a classic . 5/5.

5. Woodstock- Pulsating electric guitars, thundering drums, perfect three part harmonies all telling a story of a group searching to get back to the " Garden."Funny how a Joni Mitchell song could make an unknown group of folkies into superstars. 5/5.

6. Deja Vu'- Medieveal sounding " Da, Da Da's" CSN&Y do a great job with the accoustic guitars. Young's voice sound confused and befuddled which is appropriate since this song and " Carry On" are both political songs that question authority and the path that the leaders of the world are choosing. " We have all been here before " gives great substince to this song the harmonies are amazing. Good song. 4.

7. Our House- Sappy, I ain't gonna lie to you the song is catchy but on the other hand it makes you want to fall asleep. Like all the latter half of the tracks of this album the harmonies are ethereal but this song is just " Saptastic" but beware sappy songs will get stuck in your head. 3.

8. 4+20- A bluesy accoustic song by Stephen Stills. Still's voice is a mix of melodic melody this song is a song about how Still's father " worked like a devil" to give his son the best life possible. Still's also talks about " missin' my woman, wondering where did she go?" The line " A different kind of poverty now upsets me so." emphasizes Still's passion to make a better life for himself. 4.

9. Country Girl- A weird , strange, song that has the line " to late to keep the change" , " to late to pay." I think this song is about not being able to change the particular situation you are in. Melodic even though Young still employs his languid voice to the accompainment of textured drums and guitars. " Find out that now was the answer to answers," is the most perplexing confusing lyric I have heard in a while. Other than that I have no idea what they are talking about. All in all a good song. 3.

10. Everybody I love you- Classic CSN&Y harmonies a rockin' guitar sound with the catchy line " Open up open up baby let me in!" A jubilant joyful anthem of peace love and understanding that any former hippie will love. The way the group plays it is strange because they make it sound like a gospel song. 4/5.

I believe I know why the album is called Deja vu'. You may think that I am suggesting the single entitled " Deja vu'" and yes while the line in that particular song goes" we have all been here before" it is not the line that I am referring to in this instant but rather the theme. I believe the theme of this album is trying to convey is that no matter how far we get as a society we will always wonder " Have I been here before?" This album through its repetive nature does a great job at making us feel like we are doing the same things all over again day after day going through the motions and not knowing what in the world to do differently. All in all a good album.

-Justin Chopin

Sun Kil Moon BenjiSoundtrack Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
The Avett Brothers The CarpenterNick Drake Bryter Layter
M. Ward Transistor RadioYellowcard When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes
4.3
Matthijs van der Lee (4)
Slightly flawed as it is, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's best-known record still stands firmly....

Woodstock (4.5)

STLMiguel

Good job, dude.

This album is good enough at parts that people tend to give it too much credit. I think
you got it just about right. This Message Edited On 06.30.06

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

im not into them too much and i got a question. Did csny do southern man or did just niel youn

STLMiguel
June 30th 2006

Just Neil Young. It was on his second solo album.

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

ok thx

Led-Zeppelin
July 1st 2006

Almost cut my hair is a Crosby song, Neil would never write something that pretentious.

Also, Neil wrote Southern Man, but CSNY performs it live a lot. A lot of Neil's solo work has been integrated into their live shows, like Cinnamon Girl.This Message Edited On 07.01.06

Broken Arrow
July 1st 2006

Yeah, On 4 Way Street (their live album) songs are included from their former groups and solo careers aswell as their collective songs.

Ephemeral
July 1st 2006

4 Way Street is a really good CSNY album too.

rockinbass17
July 1st 2006

Really great album. Probably the best CSN&Y album. "Woodstock" and the title track are magnificant. My only problem with it would be "Our House."

CantBuyAThrill
July 14th 2006

I agree with rockinbass17 completely. Even though I find "Our House" tolerable most of the time, it can sometime be worth my trouble to walk over and pick up the needle and change to the next song. However, rating "4+20" as a 3 is something that I entirely disagree with. Also "Country Girl" and "Almost Cut My Hair" are my two favorite songs on the album- it took a few listens, but now I think "Country Girl" is one of Young's finest compositions. Really a great melody with nice bits of harmonica.

Also, it's worth noting that the slide guitar on "Teach Your Children" was played by Jerry Garcia. Just wanted to get that out there.

Really, this is a great album, with only one track I can understand being considered weak- even though many people actually find it to be one of the most appealing on the album. For me, "Our House" reminds me of "Yellow Submarine" on "Revolver"- the only song I would ever find myself skipping because of it's childlike innocence, but that's the appeal rather than the turn-off to certain people.

Kashmir09
January 15th 2010

Review blows, AND Almost Cut My Hair is David Crosby singing, not Neil Young

BigHans
November 2nd 2010

Helpless ftw

Skyler
December 13th 2010

Combine the best tracks from this + their first album and you get one hell of an album.

Activista anti-MTV
February 8th 2012

legit five

Spec
April 28th 2012

No one on the site knows who this is.

Rules hard though.

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

boleyn2
August 10th 2012

neil young singing 'almost cut my hair'? haha, you cant tell the difference between crosby's and
young's voices? c'mon man; as for the album... one of my all time favourites, these melodies have been
haunting me for my entire life; nothing more to say

tristan720
February 12th 2013

Classic. Just 5.

Glypx
April 26th 2013

In 1970 almost every album released had some "bad" songs included. At the time, this album was pretty much unbelievable. It fit the times perfectly.Drop the tone arm on the LP and Carry On exploding out of the speakers was magnificent. The Beatles were gone, Jimmy, Janis, and Jim were going away too. We had The Archies and The Putrid er Partridge family. What a welcome relief this album was. The discontinuity was part of the charm. Original, different, and just great music, I was just listening to it, it still is good 40+ years later.

5 Stars

PunchforPunch
July 20th 2013

sounds great

MikeC26
February 1st 2014

Almost cut my hair is easily the best song they've done. Almost negged for the 3 you gave it but I'll let it slide this time (;

conesmoke
February 1st 2014

Carry on and déjà vu are both better than almost cut my hair, but it's still awesome.