Ok so here is rush one of the greatest bands of all time have a greatest hits album and itís full of classics we all know. This band has been together for a very long time since 1974 I believe so they have had time to make lots of great albums and songs. Now this is my First Review so bear with me.
1. Working Man- Ok off to rushes first great hit from their self titled album. This song kicks off with some sweet heavy guitar riffs and then they kick in to the singing with some mildly entertaining lyrics talking about a workaholic. Many people can relate to this song but overall it is quite good. After the singing it kicks into a solo which is good but too long for my taste solos should be 1-2 minutes if not shorter not 4 or 5 minutes.
2. Fly by Nights- Ok now onto rushes 2nd album fly by night with the album titled song. In my opinion this song isnít that great itís just ok. Itís a nice solid song with some good guitar work I am not really sure what itís about but it just doesnít really do it for me.
3. 2112- Now on to 2112 probably my favorite rush album to come out. Obviously this is not the whole 20 minutes but hey itís the 2 best parts that happen to be the beginning ones as well. The Overture is awesome it has amazing instrumental work so therefore it is awesome! Then it kicks in to the Temples of Syrinx. This is my all time favorite part of 2112 it has awesome hard rocking riffs and is just amazing the singing and everything about this song is fantastic!
4. Closer to the Heart- This is one of rushes greatest ballads it has a nice almost calming guitar intro and the lyrics talk about basically how we all need to live our lives better. The song has a great meaning and not a soul I know can say they hate it.
5. The Trees- I love this song it is one of my favorite just the whole thing. The song starts out kind of slow then gets much faster. I know there has to be some sort of political meaning behind this song talking about how trees are fighting over who gets more sunlight. Its and odd song but I do enjoy the instrumental work.
6. Spirit of the Radio- Another great song, it kicks off with some real fast picking and tapping which is awesome then goes into the chorus. The whole song is great the singing and instrumental work. I am not sure what its about probably just how great music is and how its inside all of use or something like that.
7. Freewill- Not my favorite rush song but its ok. The song starts off with a big kick of guitar and then starts into the chorus. The beat is ok and I am pretty sure he's talking about how he wants to have well free will. Itís an ok song but not one of my all time favorites.
8. Limelight- Next to 2112 this is one of my favorites. Itís got a great intro and an awesome chorus. The song talks about fame and I believe was written by Neil Peart Rushes awesome drummer. The solo is one of my all time favorite rush solos. Overall the whole song is great.
9. Tom Sawyer- Heres the song everyone knows. It is possibly the most remembered rush song ever and the opening to Moving Pictures another great album. The song opens with the synthesizer and kicks into some awesome chords. This song has a great chorus which gets stuck into your head very easily. But it isnít my favorite but it is awesome.
10. Red Barchetta- Not my favorite rush song. In my opinion this song is too slow at start I mean the chorus is OK. The instrumental work isnít rush at their best I know lots of people like it though. The song is just kinda weird not my favorite.
11. New world man- A fun song in my opinion. Starts off kinda weird with some odd bass. But this song is very catchy I think itís about a boy whose leaving home so he's a new world man. The song has a fun chorus and an ok Solo. This isnít my all time favorite song but hey itís fun and catchy.
12. Subdivisions- This song is really odd in my opinion. Its got a kinda slow intro then just goes on to this really weird chorus and the instrumental work is a little to techno for me. Itís and ok song but I skip it and never have really paid enough attention to tell what itís about.
13. Distant Early Warning- Ok now heres a great song. Its intro is weird some sort of buzzy noise but it doesnít last long. The keyboarding is great but the best part of this song is the Chorus. I have no idea what this song is about I know itís really deep like most rush songs itís got to have a meaning. This song is best recorded in Rush in Rio but overall the instrumental work is great and itís really deep.
14. The Big Money- Another kinda fun song by rush. In my opinion not as good as New world man. But the song also has a hint of techno. The song has a catchy beat and some sweet bass in the background. Not a great song but it has its place.
15. Force Ten- I donít get this song really. Itís got some weird like temple choir singing for the intro and then goes into a very strange song. It morphs allot like it goes into one song then another like the took 3 songs and put it into one. Itís got and ok Beat but not really worth that much.
16. Time Stand Still- This song has a great guitar intro but it doesnít last very long. The song then goes into an ok beat but the song is a little strange. Kinda slow moving and it tends to drag he seems to be singing with a girl or something I am not sure what thatís all about. But overall itís an ok song but not a very strong way to end the album.
So thatís my Review of Spirit of the Radio Rushes Greatest Hits. I would say you should go out and but this if your looking into rush its very entertaining and you will listen to it over and over again.
Closer to the Heart
Spirit of the Radio
Distant Early Warning