Neil Young
Rust Never Sleeps

by Kevin Rhoads21 USER (2 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 12 replies | 1,843 views

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

Number 350 on Rolling Stones 500 greatest albums of all time

Young was reuniting with Crazy Horse for this album, his last release with them was Zuma, a heavier album. In between then he realeased Long May you Run with steven stills, and American Stars and Bars.
A very good acoustic album in my opionion it is his third greatest release, after Harvest, and After The Gold Rush.

[/b]My, My, Hey Hey {into the blue}[/b]

This is a very good track, being the lighter counterpart to the closer. The acoustic playing is wonderful, with a touch of folk in it. The vocals are good and the song, alon with its counterpart, is dedicated to the sex pistols Johnny Rotten.

[/b]Thraser[/b]

Another song featuring very good acoustic playing, and the rythym section gives a stellar performance as well, vocals are pretty good, but the best part is the lyrics, chornicaling the comercialization of the west.
4/5

[/b]Ride My Llama[/b]

A weaker song on the album, the guitar playing is once again good, and the rythyms section shows a good performkance as well, but the lyrics are terrible, and make no sense, plus the singing is scratchy, and weak.
2/5

[/b]Sail Away[/b]

All my song reviews are starting to sound the same, but this song is no exception to the others before it. Good acoustic playing, good rythym section, meteocre vocals
3/5

[/b]Powderfinger[/b]

One of the best songs on the album, very good playing, and the first real appereance of an electric guitar, the rythym section provides a very steady foundation, along with vocals and meaningful lyrics

[/b]Welfare Mothers[/b]

Another rocker {this album is divided in half calm/hard} This song features ok guitar plying but not as good as the other songs. However there are great rythym playing, and Young's vocals arent bad at all.
4/5

[/b]Sedan Delivery[/b]

A rocker with great guitar playing, and meteocre rythym section, the vocals are mild without alot of feeling
3/5

[/b]Hey, Hey My, My {into the black}[/b]

The second in the series, the distortion on this song is turned up to a max on the one, so high you can hardly understand the notes, but the guitar playing is amazing, with the rythym section turning out a
beat with no flashes, but plenty of rythym, the vocals are my favorite on the album
5/5

Overall, the album is very good folk/rock/metal at times album. The guitar playing is probably youngs best overall on an album. He shows his ability on electric and acoustic, not to mention harmonica. The backing band is very good, with the rythym section being good, and the backing guitarist was absolutley amazing. However, vocalists probably wouldnt like the album a ton, because the vocals are scractchy at time, and can also be weak or thin. The album still stands as a classic, even though its been around for 20 plus years.

[/b]4/5[/b] this album will be apreciated by everyone buy vocalists

4.3
tom79 (4.5)

Broken Arrow (4.5)

KazooVirtuoso
August 6th 2004

"...so if we all rust... we'll never sleep! Eh? Eh?"

"Moltar, you're the only one here made of metal, how are we going to rust?"

Ahem.

Don't mind me. Carry on.

August 6th 2004

Threadstarter - http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200503&page=1

Read this here guide, and edit your post, if you want. If not, I'll delete this thread later.

August 14th 2004

sorry, it slipped my mind to read that, if i review another album ill do it much better sorry

August 14th 2004

Well it'd be good if you could edit this review as well, to include a little more detail?

August 14th 2004

ok i edited it to the best of my ability, but im having trobule with the bold feature, so thats not on there, please tell me if i forgot something

o sorry i forgot the number on the 500 list, ill put it on there

August 14th 2004

Good job For bold, just put [b] tags around what you want bolded, e.g. Your bold text [b]here[./b] (without the .) Use the same thing, but with i instead of b, for italics.

Also, could you give me a genre for the album? So I can edit it into the title in brackets.

Tangy zizzle

I'd give it 4.4/5.

Average review.

folk rock id say

Thanks.

manoulos
August 20th 2004

Not very good review. The album is amazing (5/5).