Vio-Lence
Nothing To Gain

by Dethtrasher USER (232 Reviews)
June 27th, 2006 | 17 replies | 3,463 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

This was the last studio album from the thrash-metal known as Vio-lence. In their previous material they were fast in their music, fast shredding riffs and intensive drumming and with somewhat odd vocals. This album is almost the opposite because this album is way more hevy than their other albums, this album doesn't have the same speed or structure as their strong debut �Eternal Nightmare� for example. Though there are quite many great songs on this album that I'm about to describe in this track-by-track reivew and I hope you enjoy it.

Sean Killian - vocals
Rob Flynn - guitars
Phil Demmel - guitars
Dean Dell - bass
Perry Strickland -drums

Atrocity (5:04)
The song strats with highat tappings along with some muted notes or pickscrapes, then the riffing starts and heavy drumbeats starts to pound. This song is a type of grinding song in a medium pace but this song is not so catchy though. As in Vio-Lence's early albums you can hear many backing-vocals yelling the track-title and they are here too but they don't sound good in this song. The only thing I enjoy in this song is the guitar solos, they are not any highlight solos but they are good. 3.75/5

Twelve Gauge Justice (4:46)
This on starts with thrashing riffs and intensive drumming, the song is fast and the lyrics are good. The riffing sounds a bit complex and a bit wierd but it is the chorus that makes this song when the backing vocals screams: �Twelve Gauge Justice, Right Or Wrong�. The song is not that catchy but you just have to listen to it because it is so good! There are some good guitar solos here that reminds of Testament actually, anyway, this is one of the best songs in my opinion and is worth listening to. 5/5

Ageless Eyes (4:09)
This song starts with heavy fast drumming and fast simple thrash riffs, the riffs become more heavier in the song but there is not a big catchy factor in this song except for the verse which is the only section that is catchiest. The backing vocals in the chorus is not good here but otherwise the vocals are ok. Later there is a small bass filler section and later some guitar solos kicks in both solo and double solos. Quite good song but it is nothing that I would recommend. 4/5

Pin Of Pleasures/Virtues Of Vice (5:47)
This song starts with slow, melodic acoustics that has this feeling of mourning, the section itself sounds sad though. There is also a small solo that plays along, The vocals and drums enters at last and the song becomes a slow song which is quite heavy. The song speeds up a bit after 2:40 minutes and here are more high-pitched solos. The song changes its pattern to a more old-stuff structured song with fast drums and fast riffing, the backing vocals sounds very good in this song and the song ends with the same intro-acoustics. 4.25/5

Killing My Words (4:23)
This song is a heavy hitter, the vocals are low but they later gets to normal, the rhythm section is very heavy and catchy and this song is also one of these slow/medium paced songs but this is one of the better songs though. There are many good guitar solos here and the backing vocals works just fine. The song speeds up a bit near the end and this song is also recommended from my part. 4/5

Psychotic Memories (5:25)
The song starts with some slow triplet bass riffing, later heavy drumbeats enters and after that the shredding guitars comes up. This song has an eerie feel to it but the song as whole is very cool. The riffs are somewhat slow but the tempo is medium, the backing vocals here sounds more like chanting and this is the best backing vocals on the whole album if you ask me. 4/5

No Chains (5:04)
This song is my own absolute favorite, the song starts with complex and melodic acoustics that has this kind of mystic feel to it. This section also has this hugh dark piano notes that makes the intro heavy. When this intro stops then song gets serious, the riffs are very catchy and they are really heavy,the vocals are very good here because they fit to the pattern of the song. This is a superb head bang song but it could have been a little bit faster but this song is still awesome! 5/5

Welcom Party/This Is System (6:57)
The song enters with cruel and heavy chords and later the heavy drums enters, the rhythm section is great and catchy, the vocals sounds more like speaking though. The song is kinda spooky the first 3 minutes and after those 3 minutes the song gets more speed and the riffing gets more thrash-based. The song pattern changes again and high-pitched solos starts to play. Very good song in other words. 4.5/5

Colour Of Life (3:39)
This song is a fast song with intensive drums and has thrashing riffs, the vocals are less good here because it sounds more like speaking and the backing vocals are bad. The guitar solos are though the best on this album, they are quite chaotic but they are still catchy in a wierd way. This is the song that I enjoy the least except for the guitar solos. 3/5

Done, hope you liked it. This album was very enjoying to because I like heavy thrash-metal and I guess that this album would suit most head bangers. As I said before, the speed is almost gone except for some songs, the riffing is heavier and the vocals are lower and not as fast as before. Though I would recommend this album to any thrash metal fan.

PROS
+ Very heavy and catchy rhythm sections
+Very good balance between vocals and intruments
+ More variation of the songs
+ Very good life span on the songs
+ The backup singing makes the songs more interesting

CONS
- Where is the speed?!
- Is it just me or is there some kind of eko on all the songs?
- The vocals of Sean sounds more like strong speaking

RECOMMENDED TRACKS

War (swe) We Are...Total WarCrucified Barbara Til Death Do Us Party
2.7

Blindguardian
June 27th 2006

I've heard about this band, is this a good place to start if I want to get into them?

June 27th 2006

Yes I think so, especially this album but it depends on what you like. I you like fast stuff you should check out their early material and if you like slower stuff you should check this album out.

Apocalyptic Raids
June 27th 2006

decent album, but it doesn't compare to their other albums.

June 27th 2006

Yes I agree, I maybe overrated this album or?

Wish
June 27th 2006

This is my favourite Vio-Lence album. I have no idea why, but it just appealed to me more.

The solo in Twelve Gauge Justice is so good. I could seriously listen to it over and over. Colour Of Life is my favourite song :p

Good review

vocals are lower and not as fast as before.
Not as high, surely?This Message Edited On 06.27.06

June 27th 2006

Thx, I think that Sean's vocals are a bit lower and slower but thats just me.

Thor
June 27th 2006

Deththrasher, since this is your 39th review, you should probably move on from TBT's.

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 27th 2006

I don't particularly mind TBT's, this is just boring.

Wish
June 27th 2006

Thx, I think that Sean's vocals are a bit lower and slower but thats just me.
Crap! I misread and made a total fool out of myself :pThis Message Edited On 06.27.06

June 27th 2006

Yes but I think I suck on overall reviews, but maybe you should give me some advise do make overall-reivews good.

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 27th 2006

My advice would be to describe the over-all sound of the album, instead of just the tracks. Incorporate a little about the history of the band and the time period. Also, you may be doing this already but typing them in microsoft word helps.

June 27th 2006

Yes I know but I have typed from a computer that doesn't have microsoft word, the owner has lost the goddamn installation CD. Anyway, I got some new albums that I will review soon so we will see how they turn out.

June 27th 2006

one more thing does it matter when you get to your 40th review?
I mean, is there something thats going to happen or what, it seems to me that a 40th reivew means something or am I wrong.This Message Edited On 06.27.06

Thor
June 27th 2006

All you need to do is just look at other good reviewers, which there are plenty of, and follow their style of writing until you find a way you like to write reviews. You can also use my format if you want. Here are some examples of them:

June 27th 2006

Just one more thing, if I make words fat when I write the reviews they still keep changing all the time when I add them. And one time when was writing in the submission-section where you could use these m-word options my reviews just got f****ed up. That is one reason why my reviews looks flat all the time.This Message Edited On 06.28.06

Thrasher86
May 11th 2009

I like this album... not there best however. But, I got it at the local disc replay in the "rare" section for $8 so i'm not complaining.

XingKing
September 7th 2012

Why is this album so underrated? Twelve Gauge Justice alone makes this worth a listen.