Dashboard Confessional

good

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson EMERITUS
June 26th, 2006 | 54 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

In all honesty, I really like Chris Carrabba for some reason. Iíve truthfully never bought a Dashboard Confessional album, but all the singles Iíve heard I do quite enjoy (particularly Vindicated and Screaming Infidelities). So, when I saw he had a video on FUSE, I began to get interested and checked the net to see if he had a new album coming out. Lo and behold, Dusk & Summer was only a week from being released at that point, and had already been leaked. Excitedly I grabbed it up, quite ecstatic that it would be a good album based on prior material and my train of thought he must be getting better. Strangely, on Dusk & Summer, he produces easily the best material Iíve yet to hear from himÖbut then again, thereís really only two songs on here.

The album kicks off with some ďOh ohís" from Carrabba and group, and in all honesty, that moment encapsulates the feel of the album perfectly. If this album is one thing, itís emotional to the fullest, with impassioned cries of broken dreams, unrequited love, and of young love. Unfortunately, everything on this album is over the top when it comes to being dramatic. Every song sounds like the subject matter is more dear to him than anything else heís written, and it drags by the time the albums over. Sure, the songs are actually quite moving and Carrabba is a good singer (if whiney), but when every song seems like heís just outpouring experiences and feelings, the end result is a feeling of detachment and a general ďOkay Chris, I really donít care anymore."

Well, the delivery is good if entirely too contrived and overdone, but perhaps the backbone of all of that will be solid. As a lyricist, I really donít know what to make of Carrabba. Most of whatís here is well written and conceived, with Carrabba seemingly taking steps to insure he doesnít throw out completely clichť and sappy lyrics. They unfortunately suffer much the same problem as most of the delivery and feel of the album does, in that every song is a heartfelt outpouring of whatever Carrabba has on his mind, with really no breaks in any song. For example, hereís a section from Stolen:

"Invitations only grant farewells
Crush the best one of the best ones
Clear looker and cloudy eyed
Too early to say goodnight"

Now, this is from a completely different sounding song musically in Currents:

ďIf it is born in flames
Then we should let it burn
Burn as brightly as we can
And if its gotta end
Then let it end in flames
Let it burn all the way down
All the way downÖ"

Finally, one more passage from the albums rather strong opener, So Long:

ďHand out the window
Floatin' on air
Just a flip of the wrist
I'd be wavin' you goodbye

Drive past the lifeguard stand
Where I sit around waiting for you to remember
Well past the beach hotels
Where the girls are getting' bronzed on their monogrammed towels"

Everything else on the album really follows this same general formula. Yes, Carrabba can write some rather poignant lyrics about relationships, but the thing is, every last song is about relationships and the emotions normally associated with them. For example, Stolen speaks of a crushed heart rather elegantly, with that line "Invitations only grant farewells" in particular striking a chord with me. However, notice that the other two passages are absolutely filled with much of the same general type of discussion and subject matter, and my decision to not take parts from every song for this example was due only to my wish to not make this 5 pages. Itís a sad fact that Carrabba indulges in the same topic far too often, and even if he had just strayed from the topic for two or three tracks, the lyrical content of the album wouldnít have been nearly as much of a drag is it is.

Oh wait, I forgot. There are other members in Dashboard Confessional too. However, it was said best by someone I cannot recall (please remind me if you can) right here on these very forums: ďYou could just replace any of them, Carrabba is really the only one that matters." This is an unfortunate truth here on this album; the music aspect of it is quite boring. It sounds like any bland alt-pop group from the 90ís or 00ís, and rarely through my listening was my attention drawn towards it. Sure, they all do their jobs adequately, with bassist Scott Scoenbeck providing the most impressive (if you can even call it that), laying down some rather grooving and flowing basslines that give a solid foundation for the songs. He also provides the one genuine moment of musical wow-ness with the psuedo-bass solo that introís Slow Decay. Otherwise, the other members of the band give adequate performances, with drummer Mike Marsh giving some good drum beats and the occasional fill and guitarist John Lefler contributing repetitive-but-not-terrible riffís and chord progressions.

All in all, this album is a big disappointment. Its obvious Carrabba has buckets of writing talent at his disposal, and with a rather powerful and energetic voice coupled with emotional delivery, heís a damn fine singer to boot. Unfortunately, with this album he potholed himself topics-wise, and ends up writing about the same things far too often, leading to a repetitive tone to the album that the rather boring musical aspect doesnít help. In the end, I have ended up having man love for Chris Carrabba, but a distaste for this album. If youíre a fan of Dashboard, I wouldnít doubt youíd love this album. If you want to check out one of the more talented songwriters of this generation, Iíd also check this out. Otherwise, I really canít recommend this album as a whole. Itís the antithesis of inconsistent, as there is no outright bad song, but itís just so contrived and drawn out (a huge drawback for an album thatís only 40 minutes long) and without much variation (however, Heaven Here could possibly be one of the best songs IĎve heard all year, and sounds quite different to anything on the album), that I canít expect many to really fall in love with it. Well, at least Dusk and Summer is still better than Back to Bedlam. And thatís really the only praise any album needs, isnít it?

Listen to these songs you sad, sad Dashboard fan:
Donít Wait
Currents
Heaven Here

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor
3.3
musicandwords (4)

Will IV (3.5)
Overall, a much happier Chris Carrabba with, for the first time, a real full band feel to it. Lyrics...

June 27th 2006

It is certainly Tuesday here in Florida.

So yeah, I'm thinking about asking Chris Carrabba out. In a manly way.

June 27th 2006

[Quote=Iluvatar]Well, at least Dusk and Summer is still better than Back to Bedlam. And thatís really the only praise any album needs, isnít it?[/QUOTE]

lol. good review. i probably wont be checking this out.

The Jungler
June 27th 2006

I like DC alot, they always make great singles except the first single off this kind of sucked.

Good review

morrissey

from allmusic's review:

and the song also owns a weird underlying air of "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer

I definitely noticed that.

I'm read your review once I'm done listening to the album.

The Sludge
June 27th 2006

This sounds like a disappointment for me, since I've been a raving Dashboard fan for years now. But their music now is just growing farther away from the reason I liked them. Raw emotional lyrics over a well crafted acoustic layout. Places You Have Come To Fear The Most is currently on my review list, its definatly the DC album to check out.

kthx for teh kudos

and morrissey the review is like to help you decide if you want to hear the album lawl.

laaaaaaaaaawl.

i voted :thumb:

Blindguardian

this is alright I guess

June 27th 2006

I don't think this is your kinda music blindguardian, and thus not a review you'd really want to read. I could be 100% off base though.

Muisee
June 27th 2006

How is this band Alt & indie, pop rock, at best.

June 27th 2006

genres seriously do not matter.

June 27th 2006

^^ I'd say they're alternative mainly, with plenty of pop elements. The secondary genre should probably be pop rock. I'll submit for that change now.

Muisee
June 27th 2006

Why have them if we can name any band anything? I'm just saying....

morrissey

kthx for teh kudos

Well I just downloaded the album so I wanted to get a listen in before having my opinion swayed; I was going to listen to it either way.

The album is decent, it didn't hit me like Places... but A Mission was a grower, so I'll give it time. "Don't Wait" was a bad choice for a single though.

June 27th 2006

I actually quite like Don't Wait. Although I think more people would have been struck by Stolen to be honest, Don't Wait is a pretty good tune all the same.

June 27th 2006

Being a devoted Counting Crows fan the only song I've heard is So Long, So Long, which has Adam Duritz on vocals with Chris. And I actually enjoyed it, mostly because of Adam. But I enjoyed some of the lyrics as well, and Chris' voice wasn't as whiney as it usually is.

June 27th 2006

Me being a lazy person I didn't bother to look up who that was singing along with him in that song. You learn something new with every 48686th other comment I guess.

Finally, one more passage from the albums rather strong opener, So Long:

Opener? The tracklisting says the song is number 6.

June 27th 2006

I think I made a fuck up.

June 27th 2006

I think I made a fuck up.

I forgive you.