Hidden Treasures

by met65 USER (7 Reviews)
June 25th, 2006 | 6 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Hidden Treasures was Megadeth's first EP, with every song being either a cover or featured on a movie soundtrack. They cover bands such as Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, etc. The Lineup: Dave Mustaine- Lead and rhythm guitar/vocals, David Ellefson- Bass/backup vocals, Nick Menza- Drums, and Marty Friedman- Lead and rhythm guitars.

No More Mr. Nice Guy- A pretty good way to start off the album. Originally done by Alice Cooper, NMMNG wasn't the best cover Megadeth has done. Dave threw in some extra lyrics too, which were kind've unneeded. I would say they did alright, but NMMNG is definitely not their best cover.3/5

Breakpoint- Starting off with a thrashy guitar riff and heavy bass playing, breakpoint recovered well after NMMNG. Although the song does tend to get repetitive with not only the riffs, but the lyrics as well. I would say it's worth listening too, but after about 2 months, I usually skip this song.4/5

Go To Hell- We've reached the pinnacle of the album! Featured on Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Go To Hell is easily the best song on the album. The lyrics are evil and clever, along with great solos by Marty and Dave. This song never gets old(to me at least), and is a definite classic.5/5

Angry Again- A good song, featured on Last Action Hero. Angry Again used to be one of my favorite Megadeth songs. The problem with it is it gets old, it's repetitive, and the lyrics are nothing special. It's nice and heavy, but like I said, it gets old.3.5/5

99 Ways to Die- Almost as good as GTH. 99WTD has some of the best lyrics Dave has ever written. After every verse, Marty does this cool little acoustic lick. Along with GTH, 99 ways to die is an awesome song.4.5/5

Paranoid- Awesome cover song, but can't beat the orignal. It was close, though. Not much to say about this song, other than it's a great cover and it's worth listening to. It's kind've cool to hear Dave sing Black Sabbath song.4/5

Diadems- When I first got this album, I used to always skip Diadems. A couple months later, I started liking it. I guess it's just one of those songs that you gotta get used to, like Metallica's St. Anger. Diadems has some pretty good acoustic guitar licks in the beggining, but about 50 seconds into the song, it starts to pick up the pace.3.5/5

Problems- Problems is the worst track on the album, and is also another cover song. Dave sings in some weird accent, which is half the problem(he he). The lyrics and the chorus is the other half of the problem. I ALWAYS skip this track. To me, the album is over when Diadems finishes.2/5

Not a classic album, but I would say it's worth listening to. Go To Hell, 99 Ways to Die, and Paranoid are the best tracks on the album. Please comment.