X Japan
Vanishing Vision

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
June 25th, 2006 | 17 replies | 20,047 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

X Japan cannot be measured in words. To attempt to describe the impact that the band had culturally and musically you would need far more than just your own native tongue. Actually, youíd need far more than any language. X Japan are a Titan of the musical world. Theyíre a band of such epic proportions that no one can do their works justice. Why then, would I attempt to try? It needs to be done. It really couldnít be much simpler than that. Iíve committed myself to exploring every aspect of X Japanís studio discography - all five albums. I canít help but feel that this is a tremendous undertaking. For one thing, two of the bandís catalog have already been handled quite expertly here on Sputnikmusic. Still, I feel something of a need to complete their work, and in doing so, to allow X Japan to come full circle. Itís the least I can do to honor the legacy of one of the greatest - if not the greatest - bands in the world.

Now, after reading that, I wouldnít blame you if you have doubts as to whether or not I can remain objectionable enough to undertake such an arduous task. The answer, dear reader, is ďyes." Though X Japan are among my favorite artists, Iím hardly an avid fan of theirs. I suppose you could say that I respect them more than I like them. Iím not some raving fan boy whose only aspirations in life is to collect one more piece of X Japan paraphernalia. Hardly. To be quite honest, I rarely - if ever - talk about the band. Thereís a whole host of reasons behind this. For one thing, many of my peers, friends, and family arenít as open-minded about music as I am. Because of this, I generally like to keep my more ďweird" (at least as they put it) tastes to myself. My reasoning behind this isnít one born out of a fear of ridicule. No, itís more towards the idea that if they canít appreciate it, then they shouldnít hear about it. Perhaps Iíd like to think that Iím ďworthy" to experience X Japan, and others arenít. I suppose this is partly true, but mostly for people who have the audacity to criticize the band without hearing a single song. All of this is irrelevant, however. The point of a review is to inform. The point of this review, in particular, is to inform about X Japanís debut album Vanishing Vision.

X Japan never really made an impression on the Western word. As big as they were in their country of origin, the band never really stretched its reach to a global scale. Thatís not for lack of trying, however. X Japan actually wasnít even known by that moniker until around 1992. Previous to this time, the band was known simply as ďX." The group wished to make an impression of sorts on the U.S., but were deterred slightly by the American proto-punk band X. X adopted ďJapan" for their American marketing campaign. Try as they might, however, the only album of theirs to even grace the U.S.ís shoreline was 1993ís Art of Life. Due to this fact, the handful of people who actually had the pleasure of experiencing X Japanís finest moment began to think of the band only in the terms that Art of Life presented: progressive. Vanishing Vision, however, is much more cut and dry. Itís relatively straightforward speed metal, with classical piano and orchestrations thrown in for aesthetic appeal. Thatís not to say that the album isnít forward-thinking. X Japan was just a little more reserved in the initial stage of their career.

One of the greatest aspects of X Japan is pianist/percussionist Yoshiki Hayashi. X Japan was essentially this manís brainchild. The group was originally thought up by Yoshiki and Toshimitsu Deyama (Toshi; the eventual vocalist for the group) when they were only twelve years old. Put simply: Yoshiki is a genius. His mastery of the piano is especially evident on X Japanís later works, but on Vanishing Vision it still makes quite the impression. His style of playing is distinctively distressed. Yoshiki typically begins a piece in a very melodic, yet staid fashion. Depending on the mood of the song, he may simply flow with the music. However, at other times, Yoshiki allows his piano work to degenerate into a discordant jumble of notes. This creates a sensation of pure distress, yet showcases one of Yoshikiís greatest talents: his ability to do away with all musical structure, yet still create something beautiful. Yoshikiís classical influence on X Japanís wildly technical brand of metal gives the band a sense of scope and depth. X Japan just wouldnít be X Japan without Yoshiki the pianist.

However, the man is also quite impressive as a drummer. While his purpose in this role is merely to compliment the lead instruments, Yoshiki still shines through, giving off a sense of galactic dominance over the skins.

Of course, whenever Yoshiki finds himself on drums, then the music is typically being driven by the dual guitar attack of hide (Hideto Matsumoto) and Pata (Tomoaki Ishizuka). Forget Angus and Malcolm Young,
Kirk Hammer and James Hetfield, or any other hard-rock/metal guitar duo in history- hide and Pata are the most talented, hands down. The guitar work on Vanishing Vision is breathtaking. The pair seem to be symbiotically connected to each other; a proverbial Yin and Yang of the guitar world. They bounce different feats of sonic mayhem off of each other, yet can easily conform to play with perfect synergy. hide and Pata are clearly technical master of their instrument. Their playing is fluid, and uniform; no wasted effort. This isnít just emotionless speed-metal, however. No, for all of their precision and power, hide and Pata are two of the most emotive guitarists Iíve ever heard. Their texture-laden riffs carry, and make songs. The duo creates some of the most incredibly beautiful music Iíve ever heard. I canít imagine what Vanishing Vision would be like without the thrashing, yet dazzling guitar work of hide and Pata. To a lesser extent on the strings is Taiji (Taiji Sawada). As X Japanís bassist, Taiji is easy to overlook. While heís neither as awe-inspiring as Yoshiki, or as innovative and talented as hide and Pata, Taijiís bass-work on Vanishing Vision is impressive nonetheless.

Of course, X Japan wouldnít be complete without the haunting vocal work of Toshi. His stunningly chilling voice overlays his bandís musical majesty in worthy fashion. His vocal work on X Japanís debut is a multi-lingual torrent, constantly switching between Japanese and English. Most songs he sings entirely in Japanese, but on several he either sings in English or switches between the two languages. You donít need to understand what heís saying for him to convey his point, though. Toshi sounds extremely angry on Vanishing Vision, as do his band mates singing backing vocals. His voice retains its unique sense of style, but not without a rancorous quality. You could infer that, in their infancy, X Japan were less about artistry and experimentation, and more about conveying their musical points. You can almost feel it in Toshi voice on Vanishing Vision. It only serves to complete the total immersion experience.

Vanishing Vision begins with the anthem of an instrumental that is ďDear Loser." The song sets the mood perfectly for what is about to come. All of the members of X Japan perform their parts quite exceptionally, but thereís no outdoing hide and Pata. Their guitar lines exude power and energy, and yet are rather reserved. ďDear Loser" leads into the light speed ďVanishing Love." Here we are met with our first taste of Toshiís voice. His emotion-laden snarl is flanked by the shouted backing vocals of X Japanís other members. Once again, the instrumentation is overwhelmingly powerful. Your ears are assaulted by a blitzkrieg of pure heavy metal bliss. You are now in X Japanís domain. ďPhantom of Guilt" adds a slightly more melodic aspect to X Japanís approach to Vanishing Vision. While the song is still quite heavy, the tempo has slowed, and spacey harmonics that pour out of hideís guitar help to accentuate a new feeling of beauty. Toshiís voice echoes with full authority and impunity all over the marvelous sonic mayhem. ďPhantom of Guilt" is one of the stand out tracks from Vanishing Vision.

ďSadistic Desire" showcases some of Yoshikiís finest drumming. Once again, hide and Pata dexterously employ their combined twelve strings to the max and beyond. Taiji holds everything together, with the faintly audible, yet supremely well-performed bass work. As usual, Toshi acts as a conductor, using his fever-dream quality voice as a baton. The haunting soundscape that is ďGive Me the Pleasure" quickly becomes the proving ground for Taijiís skills, as his ripping bass work introduces the song. Things quickly deteriorate into a haunting array of sounds that alarm the senses. The instrumental ďGive Me the Pleasure" is one of the darker examples of X Japanís music, and is certainly a curious change of pace for Vanishing Vision to go through. ďIíll Kill You" is the first song to feature Toshi singing predominately in English. Itís definitely quite a change from itís predecessor, and is one of the better songs on the album. The highlight here is the fantastic guitar solo performed simultaneously by hide and Pata.

We now find ourselves entering the realm of X Japanís where Yoshiki is ruler. ďAlive" begins rather simply with Yoshiki playing piano. The action quickly picks up, as thunderously melodic guitars come into compliment the keys. Toshiís mournful voice comes in, singing in English yet again. ďAlive" quickly develops into a ballad on a mammoth scale. Perhaps a precursor to ďArt of Lifeď, it is by far one of X Japanís finest moments, both on Vanishing Vision and for their career in general. The beautiful ďKurenai" comes next. Once again, Yoshikiís fantastic skills as a pianist grace the listenerís ears. This version of ďKurenai" is sang by Toshi in English (the song would be re-released later on Blue Blood in Japanese). ďKurenai" much like ďAlive" is an amazing ballad, and one of the best songs on Vanishing Vision. Ah, here we are at the finish. And yet, it really isnít the end. ďUnfinished" is exactly what it appears to be: an unfinished song. ďUnfinished" features almost divine piano work from Yoshiki. Itís a sad song, and among the most magnificent Iíve ever heard. X Japan chose to release the finished version of ďUnfinished" exactly one year from Vanishing Visionís release date, on their second album Blue Blood. This is quite possibly the most meaningful album ender Iíve ever heard. Trust me, it will take your breath away.

While Vanishing Vision is a relatively simple album when compared to the rest of X Japanís catalog, it is by no means anything less than a classic. This album touches upon every part of X Japanís fascinating blueprint for creating the musical incarnation of perfection. While I canít recommend it over any of their latter works (save 1996ís Dahlia), I can still say that it is honestly one of the greatest albums Iíve ever heard. Do whatever you can to hear Vanishing Vision in its entirety. You will feel an overpowering sense of accomplishment when you do.