Rage Against the Machine
The Battle of Los Angeles

by Andrew Barr (MM8) USER (65 Reviews)
June 24th, 2006 | 44 replies | 2,866 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Rage Against The Machine
The Battle of Los Angeles

The Band: Zack De La Rocha- vocals
Tom Morello- guitar
Tim Commerford- bass
Brad Wilk- Drums

Rage Against The Machine. My favourite band from the 1990ís, hands down. Theyíre definitely one of the most unique bands Iíve ever heard of. The main reason for this is the contrast between the instrumentals and the vocals. The instrumentals while difficult to describe are closest to alternative rock genre. The vocals however, are rapped. This creates a very unique atmosphere for RATMís songs. Another one of the bands key features is Tom Morelloís soloing. Itís incredibly unique. I wonít say anymore about it right now, but I will talk much more about it later.

Rage Against The Machine have been one of my favourite bands for quite some time now. As I already mentioned one of the reasons I like them is the unique atmosphere of their music, but another reason is their attitude. Theyíre one of few bands who can openly state how much they hate the government without seeming really cheesy or fake. As Iím sure most of you just clued into I was referring to the piles and piles of bands nowa days that are constantly stating how much the hate George Bush and not really stating why just sort of doing it to make people like them. Anyways, to avoid extreme backlash in the comments Iíll stop talking about that now. Just to some up the paragraph Zack sings about what he feels and does give a hoot what people think about it. I know this isnít necessarily a unique attribute. Lots of other sings do the same thing, but I like that about the band none the less.

Now to dissect the instrumentals one at a time. As per usual Iíll start with the guitar. Which was simply perfect. The rhythm guitar was stupendous. There was some power-chorded riffs, but there were also plenty of fantastic funky riffs. There were also lots of nice pitched bends and very short solo-y riffs under verses and choruses to spice things up a bit. I rather enjoyed the tone of Morelloís amp. Nice distortion but not so distorted that the notes blended together. Now onto the solos. Oh my, the solos. Most of the were simply breath taking. They were all a good length. Not too long not too short. Tom Morello is simply a genius when it comes to writing unique sounding solos. Iíve heard that one of the ways he gets his unique sound is by using an allan key as a pick. Iím not sure if this is true or not but I know I heard it somewhere. Tom also uses a wide array of FX to bring his solos together. Wah pedals, talk pedals etc.

Onto the bass. Which was outstanding by the way. Involved in almost every track at one point or another. The bass helped contribute to this albums high level of funkiness. The riffs were often very well written. Theyíre somewhat difficult to describe really. Most of them involve some nice hammer ons and pull offs. This gives them sort of a solo-y feel, although there were no actually bass solos. The bass also did a commendable job of keeping good rhythm, throughout. It really managed to hold the tracks together. All in all I was very pleased with the bass in this album because it did itís job and gave us a little something extra

Now for the drums. The drums for this album were adequate. Nothing too special. A lot of simple beats with the occasional fill here and there. It wouldíve been nice to see them more involved with the album, but I suppose they didnít take anything away from it either. I just wouldíve liked to see some more intense beats here and there. The drums seemed somewhat inferior because the rest of the instrumentals were just so great. They still werenít bad, though. Brad did manage to keep a steady beat throughout. Which usually isnít too hard to do, but it mightíve been somewhat difficult for him with Tomís crazy solos and Zackís rapid, violent vocals. It would be indeed, very hard to focus with all that going on

Pros: Vocals
Instrumentally very sound
Nice overall atmosphere

Cons: Drums couldíve done a little more

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

I would encourage all of you out there to check this out. Itís got a little something for you no matter what genre youíre into. With the exception of a couple of genres, like country. I strongly recommend this for any guitarists out there. Not only are the solos fun to learn but pretty much every riff in every song is fun to play. Truly wonderful stuff. Until next time keep your stick on the ice.

Metallicaman

Soundtrack Jesus Christ SuperstarBrand New Deja Entendu
Opeth DeliveranceDe La Soul Stakes Is High
Coheed and Cambria From Fear Through the Eyes of MadnessThe Mars Volta Frances the Mute

June 24th 2006

One day, three review. Who bad?

Anyways this one may be a little short, but I'm still pretty pleased with it.

The Jungler
June 24th 2006

Not really needed, but good all the same. Keep it up.

As for the album, it's fun to listen on occasion but I don't know if it is as good as you say it is.

STLMiguel
June 24th 2006

Dude, go outside or something.

Not that the reviews are bad, I just wanted to remind you about the world outside of Sputnik.

metallicaman8, you animal*. Keep it up

*beast

Seriously, another good review. Good stuff.

June 24th 2006

Dude, go outside or something.

I did go outside today, thank you very much.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

RandyfromPennywise
June 24th 2006

Are you really only 13 years old metallicaman8?

June 24th 2006

yup, well almost 14, but yeah technically 13.

omg a pre-freshman :eek:

omg i passed my 666th postThis Message Edited On 06.24.06

June 24th 2006

Solid review. I still don't get everyones like of RatM though, their s/t is the only thing I can get into in any fashion whatsoever.

The Jungler
June 24th 2006

yup, well almost 14, but yeah technically 13.

I would've pictured you as older, but then again I'm fourteen, so its not like we are to far apart. I need to listen to this again, I barely remember a few of the songs.
This Message Edited On 06.24.06

STLMiguel
June 24th 2006

Evil Empire has its moments (Bulls on Parade, obviously, and a few others), but I pretty much agree with you Iluv. Imagine that!

1997 Comments

Iluvatar, didn't you not like the self-titled?

June 24th 2006

I don't like it as a whole, but there some songs that I like.
I feel old btw.

I see.
And how old are you?

17 =/.
I'm downloading this album right now. I figure I have nothing better to do, I might as well put albumbase to good use.

I'ma be a junior in high school, turning 16 in less than a month
I have this and actually skimmed through the first few tracks. I actually enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the self-titled, even when I thought the s/t was a godsend. Then i had to turn it off cause I got to school :-

Blindguardian

oh dude me too, we are so over the hill at 17

Born of a broken man is so much fun to play on the guitar, this is one of the first albums I bought, nice memoriesThis Message Edited On 06.24.06

June 24th 2006

ehh im not too into these guys. good review though.

and three reviews in one day? youre a beast.This Message Edited On 06.24.06

Oddsen

Sweet 3 reviews. I like evil empire better than this one

1997 Comments

You don't wanna sound too technical when you write, like:
[quote=review]Anyways, to avoid extreme backlash in the comments Iíll stop talking about that now. Just to some up the paragraph...[/quote]
the some should be sum anyways. Just a tip, take that out, and anything that may be like that