John Lennon

January 14th, 2005 | 55 replies | 16,667 views

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

(Classic Rock)John Lennon-Imagine

#73 on Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time

Released in 1971, Imagine was John Lennon's second solo album, the first being Plactic Ono Band, after the Beatles split. The songs on the album are primarily blues-based, with a couple of piano ballads thrown in. John even got George Harrison to do some guitar work, and would have gotten Ringo if hadn't already made a commitment to work elsewhere. After the angsty Plastic Ono Band, John realized that he had to sugar coat the music to get people to listen. It is clearly evident in the title track, which displays John's child like dreams of world peace.

Standout Tracks

Imagine
Crippled Inside
Jealous Guy
I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier
Gimme Some Truth

1. Imagine - The title track and strongest track also. It is a piano ballad dedicated to world peace. Imagine is Lennon's most popular song he wrote outside of the Fab Four, and maybe the most classic. I'm sure all of you have heard it already, but if you haven't, listen to it as soon as possible. Words cannot really express the greatness of this song. 5/5

2. Crippled Inside - Another strong track. Here Lennon experiments with country rock. On the guitar, none other than George Harrison, whose work really shines. It about how you can hide everything except when you are "Crippled Inside." 5/5

3. Jealous Guy - I'll compare this to the title track, as they are both slow piano ballads, though it is not anywhere near as good. The words are completely different obviously, although it couldn't be written for Yoko, because its about how he hurt a woman because he was a jealous guy. This was originally a demo for the White Album, and it sounds like it would have gone good one it. 5/5

4. It's So Hard - A nice blues track, although it sounds like a filler to me. The guitar is what makes it stand out. 3.5/5

5. I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier - I really like this song. The bass and drums give it a certain "cool" feel. The piano and guitar give it a blues feel. To completely understand the mood, you have to listen to it. It gets a little repetitive because there is no chorus and the vocal delivery is the same every time. 5/5

6. Gimme Some Truth - This is the lyrical gem on the album. It is a protest song, and he is protesting all the liars in the world. I personally like the energy in the chorus. Great work on guitar by George Harrison as always. 5/5

7. Oh My Love - Another demo for The White Album. It sounds like a softer version of I'm So Tired. It is about, you guessed it, Yoko. 4/5

8. How Do You Sleep? - Here is where John and George team up to bash Paul McCartney. And they make sure they do a good job at it too. They even add in an orchestra. It starts off just like Sgt. Peppers, then the bashing begins. "The one mistake you made was in your head/How do you sleep?/Ah how do you sleep at night?" It doesn't sound all that bad, but I happen to be a fan of Paul. 3/5

9. How? - I could see Marvin Gaye doing this song. Particularly the chorus sounds like an R&B song. During the verse, the only instrument during the vocals is a steady drum beat. Somewhat of a filler track, but good nonetheless. 4/5

10. Oh Yoko! - Anothe tribute to Yoko obviously. Probably the most catchy song on the album. The lyrics are nothing special, as they are all in this format: "In the middle of the night/In the middle of the night I call your name/
Oh Yoko, oh Yoko, my love will turn you on"
My favorite part is the fast harmonica at the end of the song. 4/5

This is the perfect place to start for all beginners of John Lennon's solo career, so start at here and then get Plastic Ono Band. I give it a 5/5.

This wasn't too great of a review, but it's my first one. Apologies.

Stem/Long Stem (2.5)

Badmoon

It was good :thumb:

I love seeing English bands/artists attempt Country music. He did it great, plus Harrison's slide work is fantastic.

August 3rd 2004

I don't like Imagine, the song, but this is a great album. Jealous Guy's the peak for me, the lyrics are incredible. It takes bravery to sing a song like that with honesty.

One problem with the review - couldn't you have put your personal feelings aside when talking about How Do You Sleep? It's a great song. Certainly not the worst on the album.

Badmoon
August 3rd 2004

I like Paul. He's a good man, and a great musician.

[QUOTE=badmoon349]I like Paul. He's a good man, and a great musician.[/QUOTE]

He certainly is. But, then again, I don't think that the American government is responsible for the murder of Malcolm X, and yet I still love Wake Up by Rage Against The Machine. Know what I mean?

August 3rd 2004

[QUOTE=themightyquinn]Actually, Jealous Guy and Imagine are very similar.[/QUOTE]

Musically, yes. Imagine's just been played to death, and I find it to be a very naive song.

Bartender
August 3rd 2004

[QUOTE=Iai]Imagine's just been played to death, and I find it to be a very naive song.[/QUOTE]

It can only be considered naieve through a cynical point of view, and as part of the viewpoint of the "flower generation" was that that cynicism be abandoned in favour of unconditional love, it pretty much perfectly encapsulates the 60's ideal. That's my take on it, anyway. It is overplayed though.

Good review, by the way.

Woodstock

Good Review :thumb:
Good Album
May He Rest In Strawberry Fields :upset:

mexicanfloydian
August 17th 2004

I only know Gimme some truth and Imagine.
Great review.

August 17th 2004

Jealous Guy seems to be the popular one among the people on this site. Check that out.

August 17th 2004

I bought this man's Best Of cd. I think I like it more than the beatles. Good work.

August 17th 2004

Check out the sweet avatar :naughty:

Do you have the Lennon Legend? I have that one, and I think they should have added one or two more songs off of this album on there.

Yeah, I have Lennon Legend. Cost me $3 :D

August 17th 2004

Why does everyone get their CD's cheap but me?????

I would also like to add that I am thankful that John did not use any Yoko vocals on this album. She has such a terrible voice, and it would take so much away from the songs on here.

Bartender

reli4nt
August 17th 2004

The Power Puff Girls had a great rendition of Yoko as the mate for Mojo Jojo, she howled just like her.

August 18th 2004

[QUOTE=Bartender]br3ady buys second hand, I believe. Incredibly cheap, but often without cases and things.[/QUOTE]

I've only ever got about 4 cds without cases. Yeah, I get second hand ones from the pawn shop, but I get new ones just as often. It's hard, on one hand, you can get really cheap cds, but you have to take what you can get...on the other hand, you can get any cd you like, but you have to pay up to 10 times more.

lennonlsd
September 26th 2004

lennon, u god, jealous guy always reminds me of the same lady, fav song is without a doubt oh my love, i to this day cant believe that he was shot down, if chapmans released i'll be over their to blow his head off. r.i.p lennon.

sadisticmonkey
September 26th 2004

me first

boss
September 29th 2004

lennon is king

Daniel!
November 3rd 2004

i dont watch powerpuff girls..... but im sure it was funny