Candiria
What Doesn't Kill You...

by Ian USER (107 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2006 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Badass metal fusion hardcore rap jazz band makes an accessible album

I was watching Music Choice Rock one day and I saw that Candiria would be releasing a new record soon and that the lead single was called Down. I was pretty bored so I decided to go ahead and listen to the song. What caught my attention first off was Carley's singing. In the past he was a rough rider, still is, but now his voice has become smooth, catchy, and fits really well within the construct that is What Doesn't Kill You.... It was pretty clear that Candiria had embraced aspects of nu-metal, but with a hint of alternative rock.

As said before, Carley's singing has changed massively for the better. He shows a lot more control over the songs with his voice, and is able to convey multiple types of emotion throughout the album. You won't get fast rapping and guttural death vocals, but Blood is an extremely angry, anti-war song where Carley yells bitterly the whole time. 9mm Solution is actually a strictly rap song that uses keyboard strings and the two guest spots are nice along with Carley's feature rap. The last song on the album, The Rutherford Experiment, is literally a masterpiece. It is basically a five-minute jam that incorporates multiple instruments, and each one manages to standout by itself at different times.

One of the weakest parts of What Doesn't Kill You... is the guitar parts. The riffs are interesting on most songs, but sometimes feels like the riffs are old and thrown in to finish the album. There is a solo in the single, Down, but better singles could have been chosen. Doesn't really matter though.

Remove Yourself is the anthem on this album and it is anthemic as fuck! If you don't check this out, but want a smooth epic few minutes listen to this.

In the booklet the band tells the meaning of each song in a brief sentence and my favorite is on I Am. "Isn't it fascinating how we can be so judgmental when a person does wrong by us, but in time we do the same to someone else. Oh how we love to contradict ourselves." I Am is just one of the songs that shows how the band started thinking about life after the near death car crash they had in their touring van when a trucker hit them (the band ended up winning in a lawsuit over it). It may be hard to believe, but just the lyrics and vocals make this fun to listen to. The instruments themselves are great and compliment Carley well. That said, What Doesn't Kill You... is still a good album and gets a high recommendation out of me.

Pros:
+Carley's vocals
+The insightful and meaningful lyrics

Cons:
-Hard to swallow for some

Standout Tracks:

TheDistantFuture (4)
Smartcore....

Kiss The Lie (Vinyl/Digit
recommended by reviewer
BoySetsFire While A Nation Sleeps...

Neoteric
June 23rd 2006

I like the review, good stuff. Not heard Candiria but good rewrite.

f_u_c_t
June 23rd 2006

I agree with your review. And im glad that you didnt fail to mention the van crash in it either. Ever since i saw these dudes live i've had an attraction to this album. But I can't help to skip 9mm when it comes on.

British Beef
June 24th 2006

very good live band, their bassist is AMAZING

selfbias
September 18th 2006

I think you like this album because didn't like the past albums, personally I think WDKY is a bad step in Candiria evolution, they are becoming more like a regular band like many others, they are really losing what makes them original, bad for Candiria

February 4th 2007

These guys are unoriginal? Have you ever listened to their earlier stuff? I think not. They're right up there with Dillinger Escape Plan in the talent department, and their live shows are incredible. Oh and for the last time to whoever listed them as such, Candiria are NOT nu-metal. They're hardcore with free-jazz and rap influences.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - The Perils of Time Travel

February 4th 2007

Oh yeah and this album really isn't that great compared to any of their other stuff. It's actually the most formulaic/melodic/straightforward album they've dropped yet, although I do love the main riff on "Remove Yourself" a LOT.

skullcrusher149
January 24th 2008

Dead bury the dead and nameless king are great songs

ultradevilgod
July 15th 2011

Nu-metal? they're beyond that crap!

May 8th 2015

This review is lol

June 10th 2016

One of my worst reviews and opinions from back in the day. This album is amazing tho

June 10th 2016

Also this album I have taken more showers to this album and sang in the shower to this album more than any other album evaaaa. Used to drive my ex crazy but now she says it's one of the things she misses most.

August 26th 2016

I just scrapped this review and made a new one. The previous one was trash. This isn't a great review, but trust me it is so much better. The coding was a mess too as all reviews from back in the day have that problem.