Candiria
What Doesn't Kill You...

good

by Ian USER (108 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2006 | 8 replies | 7,578 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

I hated Candiria’s music with a passion before “What Doesn’t Kill You…" came out. I was of the opinion that they were unoriginal and their songwriting was poor. That would soon change however. I was watching Music Choice Rock one day and I saw that Candiria would be releasing a new record soon and that the lead single was called “Down". I was pretty bored so I decided to go ahead and listen to the song. What caught my attention first off was Carley’s singing. In the past he was inaudible, but now his voice has become smooth, catchy, and fits really well with the actually entertaining music. It was pretty clear that Candiria had gone almost nu-metal, but with a hint of alternative rock. I went ahead and bought the new record even though I was a little reluctant. I’m glad I did because “What Doesn’t Kill You…" left me impressed.

As said before, Carley’s singing has improved massively. He shows a lot more control over the songs with his voice, and is able to convey multiple types of emotion throughout the album. “Blood" is an extremely angry, anti-war song where Carley yells bitterly the whole time. “9mm Solution" is actually a strictly rap song that uses keyboard strings and the two guest spots are nice along with Carley’s ‘solo’ rap. The last song on the album, “The Rutherford Experiment", is literally a masterpiece. It’s basically a five-minute jam that incorporates multiple instruments, and each one manages to standout by itself at different times. Some songs aren’t so great however. “1000 Points of Light" is a lot like half of the album, which isn’t bad, but unlike the those songs, it has nothing else to bring to the table. The riffs are a little more than bland, and halfway through the song Carley unexpectedly imitates Corey Taylor (Slipknot) of old by breaking down to a fast, crappy rap.

One of the weakest parts of “What Doesn’t Kill You…" is the guitar parts. The riffs are interesting on most songs, but as of a lot of nu-metal bands are, the riffs are recycled for the most part and no technical prowess is really shown. There is a solo in the single, “Down", but that’s the only time the guitars rip. “Remove Yourself" revealed something for me. The beginning has a nice little guitar lick before Carley enters alongside chunky, palm-muted riffs and then it seemed other than Carley’s singing the band has nothing else to really offer. Not only is the guitar repetitive, but also so is everything else. Yet, I still find this an enjoyable listen. That reason may oddly be Carley’s singing. It’s strange how he’s changed, but it’s for the better. The lyrics are also the reason I still want to spin this every once in a while.

In the booklet the band tells the meaning of each song in a brief sentence and my favorite is on “I Am". “Isn’t it fascinating how we can be so judgmental when a person does wrong by us, but in time we do the same to someone else. Oh how we love to contradict ourselves." “I Am" is just one of the songs that shows how the band started thinking about life after the near death car crash they had in their touring van when a trucker hit them (the band ended up winning over $10,000,000 in a lawsuit over it). It may be hard to believe, but just the lyrics and vocals make this fun to listen to. The instruments themselves aren’t bad and compliment Carley well, but they just don’t stand out. That said, “What Doesn’t Kill You…" is still a good album and gets a conditional recommendation out of me.

Pros:
+Carley’s vocals
+The insightful and meaningful lyrics

Cons:
-Not much stands out for the instruments
-Feels repetitive and recycled at times

Standout Tracks:
-“Remove Yourself"
-“Down"
-“The Rutherford Experiment"

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Wolves & Machines AilmentsKrizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'
3.3
TheDistantFuture (4)
Smartcore....

Neoteric
June 23rd 2006

I like the review, good stuff. Not heard Candiria but good rewrite.

f_u_c_t
June 23rd 2006

I agree with your review. And im glad that you didnt fail to mention the van crash in it either. Ever since i saw these dudes live i've had an attraction to this album. But I can't help to skip 9mm when it comes on.

British Beef
June 24th 2006

very good live band, their bassist is AMAZING

selfbias
September 18th 2006

I think you like this album because didn't like the past albums, personally I think WDKY is a bad step in Candiria evolution, they are becoming more like a regular band like many others, they are really losing what makes them original, bad for Candiria

StrizzMatik
February 4th 2007

These guys are unoriginal? Have you ever listened to their earlier stuff? I think not. They're right up there with Dillinger Escape Plan in the talent department, and their live shows are incredible. Oh and for the last time to whoever listed them as such, Candiria are NOT nu-metal. They're hardcore with free-jazz and rap influences.

StrizzMatik
February 4th 2007

Oh yeah and this album really isn't that great compared to any of their other stuff. It's actually the most formulaic/melodic/straightforward album they've dropped yet, although I do love the main riff on "Remove Yourself" a LOT.

skullcrusher149
January 24th 2008

Dead bury the dead and nameless king are great songs

ultradevilgod
July 15th 2011

Nu-metal? they're beyond that crap!