The Smashing Pumpkins
Lull

good

by Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers USER (67 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2006 | 5 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Smashing Pumpkins were in anything but a lull by 1992. As Billy Corgan (who had a head full of Jim Morrison hair back then) put it, they were a finely tuned rock machine. The collage of psychedelia, Black Sabbath-driven guitars, and the budding scene of alternative rock that was the Pumpkinsí debut Gish proved this. The Lull EP is somewhat an extension of the album, really just being a single for Rhinoceros. The three B-sides accompanying the six minute marriage of quiet, effect layered, guitars, and thrashing, but equally melodic power chords each represent one side of Gish. Blue (later available on the B-sides and outtakes album Pisces Iscariot) shows the melodic, poppy side, of the album that would later be improved upon with future songs like the euphemistic Today. Slunk provides a blast of gnarly, ramshackle punk, opening with a fiery ďRIDE ON, MOTHERFUCKER," and perfectly showcases the chemistry that Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlain had. Of course one can only take so much fast-paced loud junk when itís sung by the nasal Billy in Angry Bastard Mode. Bye June is from a 1989 demo, when the Pumpkins were bordering between their early 90s sound and the New-Wave tinged glossy rock. The song contains just Billy, his acoustic guitar, and whimsical lyrics, and is easily forgettable (even by Billy himself, who couldnít remember it when requested at a concert.) The leadoff track Rhinoceros mixes all three elements perfectly, to make a great summation of the Pumpkinsí early career. Itís the only song really worth checking here, and itís better to just buy the album itís on. The other three songs are just for Smashing Pumpkins maniacs like me, who salivate over anything made by them.

Pharoahe Monch DesireEl-P I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Jaylib Champion SoundMF DOOM MM.. Food
RZA Afro Samurai SoundtrackEloy Inside

pulseczar

i no eh

pulseczar
June 23rd 2006

not as ugly as your soul.

The Jungler
June 23rd 2006

Yeah, good review, I see someone is getting used to t he new "short review" thing. This ep looks pretty intresting, I'm not a huge fan of the Pumpkins, but their music is pretty cool.
Oh, and Bald Corgan > Hairy Corgan.

Two-Headed Boy
June 27th 2006

MOTHERFUCKER

Mommy, what does this word mean?

Great review. I'm not really into Gish-era Pumpkins, so I'll probably avoid this. Not that I've seen it anywhere.

SadAndHolyGlow
November 4th 2012

Good review. I saw this at a CD shop today. I'm gonna go back and get I soon for sure.

Digging: Cutting Crew - Broadcast