A Wilhelm Scream

by Pete Mossberg USER (22 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2006 | 6 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

There seems to be a current trend in modern punk rock, and unlike most trends that usually involve haircuts, wristbands and pants, this is a musical one - and a very positive one, if you ask me. Seems to me that a lot of punk/hardcore bands, both new and old, invest a lot more time in not only writing good songs, but solidifying them with layers of extra everything in true "more is more"-spirit. Despite this tendency somewhat contradicting the original, "no frills"-philosophy of punk rock, I think it's nice to see punk rock take a step in a positive direction, as opposed to the thousands of steps it seems to have taken down the wrong road in the last few years/decades/minutes.

Of course, spear-heading and popularizing this evolution is New Bedford, Massachusetts-natives A Wilhelm Scream who hit it big with their 2004 full-length "Mute Print" - a self-admittedly hyperbole piece of melodicore art, they crammed more blazing dual guitar riffs into each song than found on an average Iron Maiden CD, and topped it off with a thick layer of vocal harmonization, arranged into songs with numerous twists and turns, stops and gos, shifts and breaks. They followed up "Mute Print" with equally multi-faceted ("We wouldn't attempt another record if we didn't think it could blow the last one away") "Ruiner" only a year later. This EP, "Diver" consists of two songs that were recorded with "Mute Print" but had to be cut due to the vocal track accidentally being deleted.

But it's really not like these songs are bad, or even less good than what ended up on either full-length - quite the opposite, "Diver" is quite possibly the best song aWS has recorded to date. From opening progression to closing break, it's the epitome of everything we love about A Wilhelm Scream; blazing riffs (a particular salute to the stop at 2:28), sardonically bitter lyrics and fleetingly solid rhythms.

Second song "They Like Their Turtlenecks Ribbed" is only 40 seconds long (but short is sweet when a song is good, as aWS has proven before with songs like "Hike" and "Mute Print") and deals with fashionistas in a (now to be considered) classic Wilhelm manner, blazing in 200mph and as catchy as the flu.

All in all though, this 7" only has two songs and is short of 4 minutes in length - it's probably only a motivated buy for fans, but beginners could download it for an introduction to the band, and get their hands on"Ruiner" or "Mute Print", because "Diver" is guaranteed to make you crave more.

Marathon MarathonBigwig Reclamation
Rise Against The Sufferer and the WitnessAgoraphobic Nosebleed Altered States of America
Propagandhi How to Clean EverythingZombie Apocalypse This is a Spark of Life

June 23rd 2006

Very good ep, even for it's extremely short length.

I have one correction, I believe these were recorded during their Mute Print sessions (I saw this somewhere but am too lazy to find the source).

Good Review though Pete.

Here's the source http://www.punknews.org/article/13183This Message Edited On 06.23.06

June 24th 2006

w00t, featured review. Are those things random or did some mod pick my review to feature?

June 24th 2006

Thanks for the correction, fat tits, I changed it.

January 21st 2007

Anyone wanna hook me up with this?

March 21st 2007

Dude Pete, I got ahold of a song thats labeled "Fuck You, I Own Hollywood" off of Bearshare. Have you heard it/have any idea where its from?

May 29th 2007

I think it's funny that you claim AWS spearhead the whole "punk layering" thing, when they don't use any overdubs. Those harmonies are 3 different vocalists, and they pull it off live. They have 2 guitarists, and thus when they play harmonies all you hear are the bassist and drummer.

Digging: CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye