Breaking Benjamin
We Are Not Alone

by Ian USER (106 Reviews)
June 20th, 2006 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

“We Are Not Alone", Breaking Benjamin’s second full-length album, is seemingly full of songs that could potentially be singles. This works both for and against the mainstream rock band. The atmosphere is gritty, but at the same time appealing. Songs such as “Believe", “Simple Design", and “Follow" all have contain catchy hooks either delivered by frontman Ben Burnley’s vocals, or the tight, rhythmic guitar riffs. “Firefly" for instance seems like one gigantic chorus, it’s obviously Ben’s best vocal work on the record. “Firefly, could you shine your light? Now I know your ways, cause they’re just like mine." “Breakdown" is easily the best the album has to offer. It deceptively starts out with a lone piano before Ben obliterates the relaxing mood screeching, “Breakdown"! In turn, the music gets about as heavy as the band will ever get before abruptly going to a slower pace with some nice “jungle" beats from the drums. The whole song is very catchy, peaking at the chorus with, “What I found, in this town, I’m heading for the breakdown. What’s that sound? You’re so loud. I’m heading for the breakdown." However, this is where the faults come into play. As already mentioned, “We Are Not Alone" is an album contains many songs, which could become popular hits. The reason for that is because Breaking Benjamin seems diverse in their song writing, at first. After repeated listens however every song eventually begins to seem exactly the same. The ballad “Rain" is one of the songs that attempt to change that, but doesn’t work well since it’s the last track of the record. The worst is the guitar riffs. Even though they originally were the main hooks of some songs they become recycled overtime. This is an average record with shortcomings, but those who are into mainstream rock may still want to check this out.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You
thejon93rd (4.5)
We Are Not Alone is a solid effort from Breaking Benjamin. As an album, it's sturdy and consistently...

Acey (3)
If you are trying to get into Breaking Benjamin, you will be better off getting their new CD, [u]P...

Bron-Yr-Aur (2.5)

June 20th 2006

Mine is better. Nah, just joking. This is a really good blurb. Nice work.

Zebra
June 20th 2006

I've only heard the music video were all of these people are walking through some weird type of forest. The guy eventually drowns at the end....pretty intense. Nice blurb, but this sounds like something I would hate.

CushMG15
June 20th 2006

With the execption of So Cold, Follow, and maybe 1 or 2 others...I entirely regret purchasing this cd. Good Insight on the album tho.

June 20th 2006

I'll have to compare those two songs. I love "Change (In The House of Flies)".

STLMiguel
June 21st 2006

Didn't you guys hear "So Cold" and realize this band was awful?

No offense, of course, you guys are all beasts.This Message Edited On 06.21.06

June 21st 2006

not a bad blurb. i think they are one of the better, if not the best mainstream rock band out there, that is just me though

June 21st 2006

Oh yeah, a blurb no longer. :cool:

June 21st 2006

still good written though, i might review it.

June 21st 2006

You probably should, as Storm and I have ravaged it with an average rating, and we could use a higher one, as well.This Message Edited On 06.21.06

June 21st 2006

It'll be interesting to see how you think this is superb.

June 21st 2006

that would give us a slightly negative review and a postive review. if you know what i mean, so that people can weigh their options if they really want to listen to these guys.

plus, everyone has different tastes, so we will se how it goes. mine probably arent as good as yours, but oh wellThis Message Edited On 06.21.06

Muisee
June 23rd 2006

Is this a emo band, a rock band, a nickelback rip off? Hard to tell, although I enjoy their tunes everyonce in awhile.

Iluvatar
June 23rd 2006

They are in no way 1 or 3, but moreso not anything like 1. They're a pretty run of the mill rock band to be perfectly honest.

ToWhatEnd
June 23rd 2006

Yeah this band has always seemed painfully average to me, just standard radio friendly music.

June 23rd 2006

That's pretty much what they are. Occasionally, they show a glimpse of being slightly above average. Occasionally.

June 23rd 2006

Yeah, as I said in the review, most of the songs here would have been popular singles.
Their best song isn't even on any of their released albums, but a track they wrote for the Halo 2 Soundtrack and game. I reviewed the Soundtrack so check it out if you're interested.

raggedragamuffin
June 23rd 2006

yeah, "blow me away" probably is my favorite song by them

JimLahey89
July 31st 2008

Forgive me for being blunt but this review is absolutely terrible.