Megadeth
Countdown to Extinction

by Andrew Barr (MM8) USER (65 Reviews)
June 19th, 2006 | 70 replies | 5,028 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Megadeth

The Band: Dave Mustaine- lead vocals, guitar
Marty Friedman- back up vocals, guitar
Nick Menza- back up vocals, drums
David Ellefson- back up vocals, bass

Megadeth, without a doubt one of the biggest thrash metal bands of all time. Theyíre right up there with all the greats Metallica, Iron Maiden etc, and this (Countdown To Extinction) is one of their greatest albums. The instrumentals were top notch throughout. Solid on all counts. The vocals however were another story. For lack of a better phrase Iíll say this. Dave Mustaine couldnít sing his way out of a paper bag. Sometimes I actually wish he wouldíve stayed with Metallica. Donít get me wrong Kirk Hammet filled his shoes nicely, but if he was still in Metallica James would still be the lead vocalist and we wouldnít have to here him sing. Although, recent events (St. Anger) have proved that James vocals are declining, as well.

What Iíd like to do now is sort of dissect the instrumentals one instrument at a time. Iíll start with the guitar. Which by the way was nearly flawless. Plenty of nice thrashy riffs throughout the entire album. Mostly power chords but that didnít bother me as much as it usually does. There was some nice acoustic work in here, also. I found this quite pleasing. Itís nice to see artists branch out a little bit. The acoustic riffs were also well written. Which I didnít really expect because Dave is more accustomed to writing speedy metal distorted riffs. I donít have much to say about bridges/ interludes as they were few and far between, but the ones that were there, were quite spectacular. Now to the solos, all of which were very well written. All the solos were of good length. Nice and long but didnít drag on for too long. It would have been nice to see some slower solos in here. They werenít really any. But thereís nothing particularly wrong with super-fast solos either. Some of the solos also had wah and other FX thrown in there. So to sum up the paragraph the guitar work was marvelous, stupendous, stunning you get the point.

Now moving along, we get to the bass. Itís difficult to describe. This is because during most parts of the album the bass was quite difficult to here. But if you listen closely enough to here it, itís quite good. Itís not top quality but itís adequate. In most songs the bass wasnít really the stand out part of the song. But it did itís job behind the proverbial curtains. It often lifted up tracks, giving them that extra something. I guess you could say it filled in the wholes. Not to say that the bass didnít have itís stand out moments. For example in the intro to ďCountdown to Extinction" after a few brief power chords the bass had a nice little fill. So to some up the bass Ellefson is no Flea, but heís got some skill. Kudos to the bass for being the man behind the curtain on this album.

One to the drums. Not a lot I can say about them really. They had there moments here and there. Never really did too much, with the exception of the little fill or solo that came along every once and a while. For example the intro track ďSkin Oí My Teeth", there was an excellent little solo to start things off. Like the bass the drums were over shadowed by the guitar. But they did their job. Kept very good timing and rhythm throughout. Although, some beats were a bit simple for my taste and I would have liked to see Menza throw in a few more fills here and there. To sum up the drums they were a bit above average and nothing more really.

The vocals. They donít really qualify as part of the instrumentals (and itís a good thing they donít, because if they qualified as an instrument no one would want to play it) but oh well. As I previously mentioned they were sub par. Mustaine really shouldnít be the lead singer. If Megadeth brought in some one else to sing they would be much better. Mustaineís voice is just too horse for my taste. I know I shouldnít be talking, as Iím a Hetfield fan. Tee-hee. But still his voice is just undeniably bad. I think part of it is at some parts he actually tryís to actually sing. If you feel me. Like choir sing. He lets some notes ring out for far too long like heís trying to go up into an opera-esque pitch.

The overall sound of the album was spectacular. The only really noticeable flaw were the vocals. Other than that everything was simply outstanding and even the vocals werenít bad at times. I guess the didnít really bring the album that much. After all, how could they. The instrumentals are just so damn good. Although, it would have been nice for the bass and drums to have a tad more input. Although, this came out in a time where bands were often much more guitar oriented than they are today. So, itís not like when I started listening to this I was expecting a lot of bass or drums. One word to describe the overall sound of the album I suppose would be remarkable.

Overall rating: 4.5/5

Pros: Instrumentation
The album was actually well produced

Cons: The vocals
Other instruments were in the shadow of the guitar

Recommended Tracks: Skin Oí My Teeth
Architecture Of Destruction
Captive Honour

And so concludes another one of my reviews. Hope you enjoyed it. This is well worth looking into. Especially if youíre a big thrash metal fan, like myself. Even if youíre not really into metal, you might want to look into this. Perhaps it will get you into metal? But if you actually are looking into this to try and get yourself into metal, remember most metal bands have better vocals. So, until next time keep your stick on the ice.

Metallicaman

Soundtrack Jesus Christ SuperstarBrand New Deja Entendu
Opeth DeliveranceDe La Soul Stakes Is High
Coheed and Cambria From Fear Through the Eyes of MadnessThe Mars Volta Frances the Mute

June 19th 2006

This was my second overall review. Not really my strong suit, so it's probably not too great, but I'm somewhat pleased with it.

Comments/Critisism?

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

This is what you need to do for an overall: make the reader know how it sounds. Few grammar errors here and there but overall pretty solid review. Good work.

June 19th 2006

I did describe how the album sounds. Or atleast I though I did.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

That's what I said.

tom79
June 19th 2006

You did in a way, but you said the overall feel was remarkable or spectacular. It was good though.This Message Edited On 06.19.06

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

June 19th 2006

Yeah, I didn't notice that. Oh well, it's not that big a deal. I might just leave it.

Mikesn
June 19th 2006

I must be the only person who likes Dave's singing.

Good job with the review.

Flynn
June 19th 2006

[QUOTE=Mikesn]I must be the only person who likes Dave's singing. [/QUOTE]

I like Dave's vocals too.

Great album, terrible review. I recommend you not to review another album until you clear your head.

June 19th 2006

How is this bad. Elaborate. NOW!

...let me guess you just negged me because our opinions on his vocals differ? Or because I failed to give this the five you think it deserves? You sicken me.This Message Edited On 06.19.06

Dethtrasher
June 20th 2006

Good review, though Dave is one of my favorite vocalists in the thrash-metal genre.

met65
June 20th 2006

Dude, the review was excellent. But, I do disagree with dave's vocals. I like his singing voice a lot.

Stoo

" Recommended Tracks: Skin Oí My Teeth
Architecture Of Destruction
Captive Honour "

Architecture of Destruction?

charly_in_charge
June 20th 2006

"...let me guess you just negged me because our opinions on his vocals differ? Or because I failed to give this the five you think it deserves? You sicken me."

No. my metallica loving friend...you sicken me...for liking those talentless hacks that call themselves metallica...after mustaine left metallica...they went down hill... reply with what u will, but the facts are facts...kirk hammet is a talentless piece of shit that cant pick half the notes he plays...

the dead beats
June 20th 2006

i'm a megadeth fan, i like their music, but i think that dave sounds a 6 year old boy when he sings

June 20th 2006

Yay, the neg on this was changed. Thanks for the feedback.

Charly to each is his own.

riggstamortisss
June 20th 2006

this review is decent..however, this cd doesnt deserve any 4.5. anything past rust in piece is a complete garbage. this cd is only a lame attempt to sell more albums and release lame, simply songs that are nowehere as well written as past songs. alot of the songs fall under the category of 2 chorus...solo...end chorus. so clean compared to random solos of awsomeness coming from previous megadeth cd's. BORING CD

riggstamortisss
June 20th 2006

this review is decent..however, this cd doesnt deserve any 4.5. anything past rust in piece is a complete garbage. this cd is only a lame attempt to sell more albums and release catchy mainstream, simple songs that are nowehere near as well written as past songs. alot of the songs fall under the category of 2 chorus...solo...end chorus. so clean compared to random solos of awsomeness coming from previous megadeth cd's. BORING CDThis Message Edited On 06.20.06

June 20th 2006

If my review was decent then why did you neg it?

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 20th 2006

Calm down man, I negged it. I didn't think it was a good review. You have done better.

June 20th 2006

Yeah, I know . Overalls aren't really my strong suit. From now on I think I'll stick to TBT'sThis Message Edited On 06.20.06