Brian Eno
Neroli

by Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers USER (67 Reviews)
June 19th, 2006 | 6 replies | 4,486 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Though the Ambient series are widely regarded as Brian Enoís best achievement in ambient music (he did coin the term, after all,) Neroli is his conquest of truly minimalist music. Like an empty sky, a desolate, dry desert, or a blank wall that stoners gaze at, Neroli carries very little, yet accomplishes a lot. Unlike his more well-known works in this serene genre, this 1993 release is one track, and barely changes throughout its one hour course. There are no symphonic movements, crescendos, or even shifts in the key itís in. Though that may come shocking to those unfamiliar with ambient music, the thing to remember is itís meant to be simple, quiet, yet still contemplative. The title of the actual song is Neroli: Thinking Music, Part IV, of course.

Neroli delivers what it promises with its direct secondary title. The understated suite is composed of what sounds like footsteps slowly pattering through a tunnel. Each step budges slowly as the reverb rings harmoniously to form a relaxing melody, thatís slow to reveal its pattern. Some of the notes ring more than others, creating wavy, subdued harmonics that increase the relaxing brainwash that this album can do.

Despite the meditative flow of the album, Eno still creates some subtle moves in the echoic synth bleeps that change the atmosphere when itís listened to while sleeping, or reading. Throughout the fifty-eight minute record, the notes occasionally speed up by a small bit, or go off in an unexpected direction for a moment, slightly randomizing the hypnotic melody. Though this appears like it may disturb the hung-over person that just woke up and needs music to calm the furrowed brow, it creates a sublime effect when relaxing.

There isnít much else to say about Neroli, and nothing else needs to be. This album is great to listen to when napping, reading, or working diligently, as todayís youth like to do. It has even been used in maternity wards, as we all know how women can get in those magical times. The solitude of the sparse music and cyclic nature makes it a perfect album for all those times in life when being as productive as a three-toed sloth is the thing to do. However, I canít really give this a high score, as itís an album that canít be enjoyed at all times. To someone whoís expecting something varied and mind bending in great agitation, Neroli is just a waste of time. It delivers what it essentially promises and nothing more.

Pharoahe Monch DesireEl-P I'll Sleep When You're Dead

I got nothing :upset:

Supoib review.

The Jungler
June 19th 2006

Great review. I'm not a Roxy Music fan, does this mean I wont like Eno's solo stuff? It sounds alot cooler.

STLMiguel
June 19th 2006

Eno is way cooler than Roxy Music, you are correct.

pulseczar

[quote=AV8RS]So....Brian Eno....Yeah...

I got nothing [/quote]
At least you're honest :upset:

Zebra
June 19th 2006

[quote=Dan]I'm not a Roxy Music fan, does this mean I wont like Eno's solo stuff?[/quote] I'm not that big of a Roxy Music fan and I love Eno.
This sounds really good, and if it can hold its own against some of Eno's Ambient albums then I'll definitely look into it. The only downside is that I don't have fifty eights minutes of free time on my hands. Good work on the review.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

I read the reviews for the Ambient album (the first one) and was really intrigued. Might look into this. Great review.