Deftones
Adrenaline

by bicepman4000 USER (12 Reviews)
June 17th, 2006 | 15 replies | 2,775 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

I don't like to place bands in too specific of a genre. Some say Deftones are Nu-Metal, some say rap-metal, some say something else. I hear a different sub-genre of metal every time I get on the net. Deftones started in the 90's and deal in a similar spectrum of metal popular bands such as Korn and Disturbed.

The band was a four-piece with one guitar, and they have expanded through the years to include turntables, keyboards, and Chino on guitars occasionally. Chino's vocals stand out as being a bit different. He has a superb scream, which is used sparingly, and good ranges with whispers, talking, and Maynard-esk (Tool) "talk into your trench coat" style.

This is the band's first major release, and it came out in 1995. It was followed by Around the Fur (which was my first exposure to them), White Pony, and a self-titled album. In my opinion, this is their best album by far, and is one of my favourite albums of all time...

1. Bored

The first track starts with a basic grindy riff, and the distortion used sounding very rough and textured. Chino comes in with some croaky vocals, and there is a quick burst of the of the main riff. The song returns to the chunky beginning this time with bass in tow and it is sounding good. It alternates like this for a while building well to the climax of the song with a good vocal performance in the middle. There is better to come. 3.5/5

2. Minus Blindfold

After the intro the song is left with bass, drums and vocals. A nice little clean guitar bit comes over the top, the band slips in short distorted fits in between. The vocals in this one is either rough yelling or mumbling, a good background voice effect part way though. This song chugs though to finish with another heavy burst. The album is still building. 3.5/5

3. One Weak

This one opens with a catchy bass line and a little singing. The guitar and drums come in with some softer vocals. This song builds so well and the first chorus opens up the sound and releases the tension. Nothing too heavy so far. The song returns to bass a vocals, then the rest of the band kicks in again but this time with more intensity and Chino showing his vocal class. Another longer chorus leads into the climax of the song, and the album so far, with a faster riff and some distorted yelling the instruments leading the song out. 4/5

4. Nosebleed

A heavy opening follows the previous track well. The vocals in this one sounds very stressed and suit the stop-start feel of the song. The fast riff continues, and the song slows to build with a cool bass line, the bass-drum tapping to the beat, and some scratchy guitar noises. It all feels very stressed, and by the time it finally opens up to finish you are ready to go berserk. Finishes with some great screams and heaviness. 4.5/5

5. Lifter

A nice slow start with plenty of palm muting from the guitar and cool bass line open this one up. Some cleaner vocals guide us though the verse, and there is a short heavy burst between verses 1 and 2. Some clean singing in the chorus gives this a catchy feel, and I always find myself tapping to this song. Another verse and chorus, then the song starts to ramps up at with just the guitar and vocals. The bass and drums join in and some scratchy yelling open up. This builds and builds, and the song explodes to the climax. Stand out track. 5/5

6. Root

This one starts with a heavy opening, then slows through the verse. The chorus opens the sound back up. There is a wickid bass line in this song which sits under the guitar palm muted guitar riff. There is a semi-annoying breakdown bit in the middle, before another predictable slow-down to build, but unfortunately this time it is not to much. This one is the rancid meat in between tracks 5 and 7, but is listenable. 2.5/5

7. 7 Words

The guitar opens this up for a couple of bars, then other instruments kick in for the verse. Another groovy bass line and some talking from Chino makes you wondering how they are going to do this one. The answer comes swiftly, with the chorus being and explosion of sound and Chino screaming "SUCK SUCK SUCK". Verses and chorus alternate, and there is another slow build period with just Chino whispering, followed by six bassy hits, and a rapping verse. The song builds again for a final onslaught with the chorus. 4.5/5

8. Birthmark

After track 7 you need a break. The beginning of track 8 gives you a nice pleasant rest before a heavy bit to remind you what you are listing to. The song slows to bass and singing through the verse, and the guitar is used to the heavy break in between verses. This song seems to be going nowhere, with some wishy-washy vocals and heavily distorted guitar. The song slows to gather itself and builds to the climax with some outstands screams and a good cleaner guitar riffs. The end of this one is an album highlight. 4/5

9. Engine No. 9

Time for another heavy one. A chunky opening leads into a rapping verse. I'm not a fan of rap, but Chino makes it work. A catchy bridge throws us into the chorus, and this one feels more and more like it would be a favourite song at a live show. A pause with just bass, then probably the best guitar riff on the album shreds it up. Another chorus, then some noise end this one. 4.5/5

10. Fireal

The best part of this song is the ending. The whole song moves though very slowly with some good singing, and it has a very melodic feel. It opens up a little for the finish, and the album winds down. 4/5

11. Fist

The album should have ended with the great ending of the last song, but the track makes an appearance. The song is slow and melodic like track 10, but with no vocals until a couple of minutes in, and even then they are sort of mumbly and incoherent. The song, and the album, finish with a pulsing machine-like sound. One track too many... 2/5

Overall this album flows through well, with standout tracks to put on if you don't feel like listening to the whole lot. It is one of those rare albums you can listen to almost all of the way through with not a lot of weaknesses. Check out Around the Fur, and perhaps White Pony, but unfortunately they don't come close to this essential album.

Roseland RoselandMachine Head The Burning Red
Static-X CannibalPantera Reinventing Hell: The Best of Pantera
Testament The GatheringRage Against the Machine Evil Empire
Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)

Justin Swope (2.5)
Adrenaline is Deftones' most underdeveloped album, but a handful of tracks make for a fiery, heavy e...

Maniac!s Main. (Broba Feiticeira) (4.5)
even Enrique was an angsty teenager once....

reneklown (4)

Brain Dead
June 17th 2006

You write some pretty got TBTs. But no way this is thier best album, White Pony absolutely rapes this album IMO. Love the Deftones though.This Message Edited On 06.17.06

Acey
June 17th 2006

fav song is Head Up on the other CD, which is better as Brain Dead stated. but good review

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Good review. I have this lying around somewhere, as White Pony is the only Defttones album I've really gotten into.

bicepman4000
June 17th 2006

Head up is another of my favourites. Teething on The Crow 2 soundtrack is another...

Dr. Jake Destructo

Very good review. I loved the "talk into your trench coat" line. :p

This is my least favorite Deftones album, however.

omgwtfboogie
June 18th 2006

I found White Pony first and I loved it, and this is trash next to it. I can't stand it. Eew.

Kage
June 18th 2006

I love every Deftones album, but I'd say this is at the bottom. I mean, it shows too many signs of amateurity, even though it is still a really cool album.

pattern_recognition
June 18th 2006

Not a bad album, especially for a debut, but slayed by both AtF and White Pony. I mean, stuff like Engine No. 9 was written when they were 16, and it shows.
But yeah, I'd say pretty much exactly what Kage says above.

IvortheEngineDriver
June 18th 2006

I downloaded this and I thought most of the songs were pretty boring. I was actually dissapointed with this. Can anyone recommend some awesome Deftones? Because, if this is their best album, then I'm sure that I was right about Deftones all along.

Anyone think the production was kinda shady?

Kage
June 18th 2006

This is their debut and, by a majority of Deftones fans' opinions, ther worst. It was written basically when they were in high school. I like the production on it, but it is kidn of shady because all the tracks were recorded live (not at a concert, but they were recorded as the band performed them in the studio)

If you didn't listen to their three latest albums, Around the Fur, White Pony, and their Self-Titled, you would seriously be cheating yourself out of the real Deftones sound.

bicepman4000
June 19th 2006

I agree Kage, the whole Deftones catalogue is essential. I loved Around the Fur, but was a little dissapointed by the different direction on White Pony (softer, darker, mellower) but it has since grown on me. I still love this album...

Xander_Christ

White Pony > Around the Fur > Deftones > B-Sides > this

pattern_recognition
June 19th 2006

Nah, this is better than the b-sides collection.
If you want to hear the roots of the band, listen to Adrenaline.
If you want balls-out agression and one of the best heavy records you'll ever hear (IMO), go with Around The Fur.
If you want atmosphere and melody and an epic feel, and more of a Tool-like sound, go with White Pony.
If you want to be a little bored and not get it for a few weeks, get the s/t album.
Actually, if you want a good idea of the Deftones, just download My Own Summer (Shove It) or Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away).
There. My work here is done.

DILLINGERXCAPE
August 27th 2006

WOW YOU GUYS ARE ALL EITHER OVER 40 OR JUST POSERS...

IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS ALBUM, CAUSE ITS SHADY!? RAW, ROUGH, ETC.
THEN DEF. DONT BOTHER SEEING THEM LIVE. CAUSE LIVE THEY SOUND NOTHING LIKE ANY OF THE ALBUMS. FAR FAR WORSE.. IN FACT THEY MAY BE THE MOST DECEPTIVE STUDIO TO LIVE PERFORMING BAND TODAY...
CHINO HAS A HORRIBLE LIVE SOUND. THE ENERGY HOWEVER... IS GREAT!!

ADRENALINE IS BY FAR THE DEFINING SOUND OF THE DEFTONES.
APPRECIATE IT. DONT KNOCK IT. THIS DEFINES THE OVERALL SOUND.
IT MAY DEVIATE OR "PROGRESS" FROM ALBUM TO ALBUM BUT IT ALL COMES BACK TO THIS...
BEEN WATCHING THE DEFTONES SINCE 93-94
(BEFORE THE ADRENALINE ABLUM)
SO I AM A DIE HARD FAN, HOMETOWN PRIDE HERE...
SO I'LL BE HONEST BY SAYING,
ALTHOUGH A PROGRESSION.
WHITE PONY IS WEAK.
DIGESTABLE.
AND MAINSTREAM WHICH IS WHY I AM GUESSING YOU ALL LIKE IT.

7 WORDS & ROOT= INTENSITY, THAT SONG MY FRIEND [ROOT] IS WHERE THE NAME ADRENALINE CAME FROM FOR THE ALBUM AND YET YOU GIVE IT A 2.5?? WHERE IS YOUR HEAD?? GET A CLUE...

BUY ALL THE ALBUMS AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.
GO SEE THEM LIVE AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.
DONT TAKE MY REVIEW OR THE REVIEW BY THIS OVER 40 DOUCHE MAINSTREAM REVIEWER AS FACT... DECIDE FOR YOURSELF..

Sound
March 11th 2007

This album rox hard, like pretty much all their stuff. Abe really shows off his drumming skill here. My current favorites are One Weak and Lifter.

I don't agree with you on Fist:S It's short, but takes one to another place. The darkest, beatiful little piece on here (just listen to the pain in Chino's voice...)

good review