Mudvayne
L.D. 50

by TurnTheOtherWay USER (8 Reviews)
June 16th, 2006 | 2 replies | 2,227 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Nu-Metal is a genre of music generally filled with bands that tune their guitars ridiculously low and slam out power chords while their vocalist screams and yells about pent-up anger. It's easy to see why nu-metal is as hated as it is. However, there's a band that doesn't follow the pattern so many others have. And that band is Mudvayne.

Don't get me wrong, though. Chad Gray can yell and scream about anger (Dig, Cradle), but he also can write much more varied than the typical Nu-Metal vocalist. L.D. 50 contains songs about drug addiction (Internal Primates Forever), death as an escape from suffering (Death Blooms), and life from the point of view of a psychopath (Nothing to Gein). These may not be the deepest lyrics, but compared to a good bit of nu-metal, it is. Gray also has a unique delivery. He uses clean vocals and a growl-like scream, both of which are rather distinctive. Gray also will overlap multiple vocal tracks in certain spots, giving the listener the sensation of schizophrenia.

Ryan Martinie employs many bass techniques into his playing, such as slapping and harmonics. The song “Severed" has one of his best basslines, featuring a semi-popping sound.

In conclusion, Mudvayne’s L.D. 50 is a truly original album, something rarely said when discussing nu-metal.

Norma Jean Bless the Martyr and Kiss the ChildNOFX Wolves in Wolves Clothing
Avenged Sevenfold Warmness on the SoulMisfits Collection II
Sublime 40 Oz. to FreedomAvenged Sevenfold Sounding the Seventh Trumpet

TurnTheOtherWay
June 16th 2006

There's so many great bass parts in the album, but I didn't want this to turn into a full review, so I only mentioned Severed. I think I know the part you mean though. He goes crazy after the song starts back up. Ryan's really a treat to listen to. The one in the bridge of Internal Primates Forever is also pretty cool sounding. I wish I could see them live.

Drunken Viking
June 19th 2006

Jesus, he must fucking slap and pop that thing to death.