Iron & Wine
Woman King

by FA USER (7 Reviews)
June 15th, 2006 | 5 replies | 2,743 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Sam Beam compiled an EP creatively titled Woman King in February of 2005; accordingly, it was a pure work of art and beauty. The EP really took a turn both lyrically and musically. Our Endless Numbered Days and The Creek Drank the Cradle both produced a more lo-fi and cheaper sound, while his lyrics danced more with animals and lost love. Both full length albums also produced a more hushed quietude in his vocals as well as less musical instruments involved. Woman King was released and it almost completely changed his sound, wellÖkind of. He still holds those whispering vocals in some of the tracks and the banjo twanging and finger picking on his guitar, yet more instruments seem to be thrown into the mix and by ďseem" I mean ďare". Beamís gone from his old-school producing and music making to renowned musical instruments in the folk genre, such as the piano, banjo, electric guitar, light percussion and even tambourines. To be quite honest, it doesnít hurt his sound; if anything it broadens his horizons on a greater scale, opening up a more fuller quality to his music, whether it appeals to you or not that he has somewhat changed his sound, I donít think heíll lose touch of his original musical roots. If you listened to him before and came to the conclusion that you think he needs more drums and instruments to his music, I think this EP would turn you on more to Iron & Wine than you ever thought possible.

The album opens with Woman King, a song that kind of sets the example for the rest of the album. It portrays women in a broader scope, holding more respect than his previous works. Iím not saying he disrespected or ignored women in his previous albums, but he kind of clarified them more in this EP, especially when he looks into the future, so to speak, singing:

hundred years, hundred more
someday we may see a
woman king, wristwatch time
slowing as she goes to sleep

The following track: Jezebel doesnít really shift grounds, lyrically. He continues his focus around the Bibleís most infamous Phoenician princess, daughter of Ethbaal, and soon the wife of Ahab, the king of Israel. She is referred to as ďcorrupt woman", due to her devilish acts in the old times, known to have slain the prophets of the Lord and hid others in caves without food or drink. His lyrics and piano melodies do sound quite nice in this track, but itís not necessarily a high point on the EP. Grey Stables is a track that really lets Beam show off his musical abilities, singing along with his sister Sarah Beam, creating beautiful harmonies.

Freedom Hangs Like Heaven brings back the bluegrass/southern twang he held in his previous albums, but his vocals are rather varied. He also adds percussion which is a change to his sound, but it really makes the EP something new and interesting. The shifting tones and swings in his vocals are something new to me; apart from the hushed quieted rhythms he generally sings, he opens up his voice more in this track, sliding tones back and forth and not nearly as whispered as before. By the time youíve reached My Ladyís House, youíre more than likely aware of the significant changes in sound heís producing, mixing old-time Iron & Wine with this newly renovated alteration in production and instruments. This song brings you back to his more recognized tones, jumbled with the rumbling piano and shaking tambourine. The closing track Evening On the Ground (Lilithís Song) is a tension-holding song thatís probably the most least subtle piece Beam has ever put out lyrically. The mixing of strings and the rare electric guitar help push the song along and keep listeners on toes, as well as the soft melodies between verses of the piano. Itís hard to say if the ending track is something to look forward to or not, or if it was merely experimental, considering the more throaty vocals and driven music.

Although the EP may not blow the minds of fellow Iron & Wine listeners, it will hold them in content while waiting for the next full length. This is a wonderful evolutionary synapse between albums and itís a nice six-track EP to listen to if youíre looking for a change of sound in Iron & Wineís music. Itís hard to say where heíll be at for his next full length album music-wise, but itís definitely something that will keep me intrigued until release and upon hearing.

Pros
Something new.
Better production (if thatís what youíre looking for).
A great anticipator for another full release.
Experimental musical instruments that do justice.

Cons
If youíre content with his older sound and production, this may not be the EP for you.
The new instruments may turn off some listeners of his original folk/bluegrass music.
Lyrics are more barefaced, rather than his usual subtle self.

Iron & Wine - Woman King EP
4/5

Rocky Votolato MakersTwo Gallants The Throes
Cat Stevens Mona Bone JakonIron & Wine The Creek Drank the Cradle
Devendra Banhart Nino RojoNorfolk and Western Dusk in Cold Parlours
Caleb McAlpine (4)
Sam Beam takes natural steps forward and completes his artistic evolution (so far)...

Glitterati (4.5)

Zesty Mordant
June 15th 2006

kick-ass review. brief, but concise.
I almost picked this up once when it was real cheap but I didn't 'cause I want to get an LP of his first.

mx
June 15th 2006

This is a great review, and a great album

Zebra
June 15th 2006

Like you pointed out in the cons section this album added in to many instruments for its own good. Still this is a good listen but doesn't compare to The Creek Drank the Cradle. Good work on the review.

mx

FA
June 15th 2006

[quote=mx]It's all what you prefer really. I like the musical complexity. I think "Freedom Hangs Like Heaven " is one of his best songs ever[/quote]

It really is a fantastic song, I'm not used to the little swing he puts in his voice (as mentioned in the review), it was new to me and I kinda dig it. Also, My Lady's House is fantastic and Evening on the Ground (Lilith's Song) is rather interesting, considering the music I'm used to from him.