Intestine Baalism
Banquet in the Darkness

by Tyler Munro EMERITUS
June 14th, 2006 | 151 replies | 15,851 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Intestine Baalism are a somewhat paradoxical band which further proves my theory that the Japanese do everything better (than everyone). To be brief on explaining their sound, I'll just give you a quick synopsis; brutal melodic death metal. Therein lies the paradox, you see, they're a brutal melodic (brutally melodic?) death metal band. They manage to keep it heavy, loud and fast while still putting in just the right amount of melody, and they do both aspects perfectly. Imagine just for a moment if you will all the best aspects of Cryptopsy and Dark Tranquility (minus the electronic elements) mixed together flawlessly.

This, the bands second album, was one of those albums that instantly hit me. I think once the surprisingly catchy opening riff on track 2 hits me, I realize this is really something special. Track 2 is the title track, and it does a fair job representing their over all sound. As I said, it starts off with a really memorable melo-death riff, but then vocals of a harsher variety (than say, In Flames) kick in. While the track is perhaps more on the melodic side, the trade-off of sounds gets me everytime; I've had this track on repeat for the last 15 minutes. For a more brutal side of the band, the final track Born But Buried, I Can See The Light is exactly where to turn. The song is relentless from start to finish, excellent gutturals, the typical melo-death riffs (moreso towards the end), and though the band flawlessly goes through several tempo changes, the transitions are seamless, a rarity since often times several time changes per song can irritate the piss out of me.

I'll confess that I heard this album before I heard their first, and I'll also confess that its DEFINITELY a good thing, because in my opinion this blows An Anatomy Of The Beast out of the water, and that's saying something, because An Anatomy Of The Beast kicks ass. This is what happens when you have precise and memorable riffs mixed with blast beats, gutturals and even an acoustic interlude (A Keen) thrown in for good measure. It's a formula for success, and Intestine Baalismseem to be mathematicians, and no, that's not me stereotyping Asians (though it's true, come on, they're good at math).

Pros
  • Perfect mix of melody and brutality
    The perfect length at 42 minutes
    Totally badass cover

Cons
  • You cant hear them soon enough

As you can tell, the cons are minimal (I'm hilarious. You laughed, face it). This album is a must pick up, that of course is me making the assumption that you can find it, which well, you might have some trouble with. Their site has a hotmail address you can email for instructions on ordering the album, but it also hasn't been updated since January 04, so it's sketchy. Happy hunting, my fellow Sputniks.

Final Verdict
8/10
It seriously is that good

Intestine Baalism are:

Masked Intruder Masked IntruderAtheist Jupiter
Aeon Path of FireAdam Haworth Stephens We Live on Cliffs
Autopsy The Tomb WithinOrbs Asleep Next to Science

June 15th 2006

Hope you guys like the review; I aimed to make you laugh, cry and look at me in disgust. I really hope you guys do yourselves a favour and check these guys out.

June 15th 2006

This is an ok review. Made me go up and get a glass of water, though.

Meaning...

June 15th 2006

I got thirsty. Jeeze with your sense of humor you should havegottenthat a-ok.
It was good, but there was perhaps too little explaining of the album itself for my tastes.

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 15th 2006

It is well-written, just too short, and thereby not containing enough info yo.

June 15th 2006

Would you suggest I throw in my usual 2-3 track runthroughs?

June 15th 2006

Don't throw in runthroughs, just highlight some more parts of the album that shined.

June 15th 2006

Alright, I'll see what I can do.

Txus
June 15th 2006

It's a good review, I'm going in a hunt for it...it looks interesting.

Is that better?

June 15th 2006

Now I'll vote for it. Nice job, it really doesn't take much work to improve a review. PEople are just lazy and silly...

Bron-Yr-Aur

Yeah I'll vote. Word up.

south_of_heaven 11

Nice

Solos? Yes, no?This Message Edited On 06.15.06

June 15th 2006

Some debatable quasi-solos, but for the most, no, no actual solos, sorry. Solos dont make an album, though, so you're in luck!

Apocalyptic Raids
June 15th 2006

this is a pretty good album

Slapping Penguin
June 15th 2006

Its funny I just investigated this the day before lol. I only have two tracks but I should see if I can buy it.

TEST
June 15th 2006

It sounds like I need to check out an album!

I agree. It needs more detials. You're an excellent poster on the forums, though this does lack a lot.
So try and eidt maybe/

sorry for spelling or w/e > I'm very tired and sleepy

Night all.

nukinator
June 15th 2006

I guess I'm reading version 2 of the review? (Oooh rhymes)
Anyway I think you did a good job, and you made me smile =P

Tarantino's Tarantulas
June 15th 2006

I want to hear these guys just for the fact they have such a ridiculously terrible and amazing name.

July 26th 2006

Can I ask who negged this without a comment?