Evanescence
Fallen

2.0
poor

by Ross Delany USER (35 Reviews)
June 10th, 2006 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

When I was younger, I was lucky (unlucky?) enough to have this as one of the first albums I bought myself. It cost me about seven of my hard earned Scottish pounds, the other five pounds my mum gave me. However, soon after buying it, it got scratched, badly. (If you really want to know how badly, think dog + 4 year old + beach + lost CD wallet =) Now for some that would maybe be an omen as to say “leave this, it sucks, do not buy it again." But I just thought, “oh well, my luck’s ####, let’s get it again." That was 3 years ago; I loved it then, let’s see if Fallen has aged well…

It clocks in at 11 tracks, and a total time of 48 minutes which gives each track an “average" length of four and a half minutes. Not a bad length, long enough to pull of some really cool things, but short enough to keep the listener happy. Long enough to generate some real gems but short enough to keep the listener from skipping to the next track. Now, that is an amazing little bit of middle ground to be in…unless you’re Amy Lee and co.

The parts they excel in make you’re mouth drop. This is quite an accessible album, with all the criteria necessary to make it big in the larger part of the market; a good, equal mix of fast, loud songs, and slow, quiet songs. It all sounds rather dandy, doesn’t it? Then you start to listen to it again…and again, and that amazing CD is like that girl you like, Blonde, nice face, but underneath the angelic exterior, she’s a total cow. Well, that’s the lesson you learn with this album. First impressions are sometimes, so incredibly wrong.

Where it’s problems lie are in the slower songs. The louder, faster songs have enough to keep the person listening. Catchy guitar riffs, above average drums and Amy’s voice, which can vary from quiet and haunting to what I can only describe as rather cynical in tone; she also has a powerful voice which many lead vocalists would be proud of.

So far, it all sounds rather promising. Going Under has started things off with it’s haunting vocal delivery and basic but effective guitar riff, and Everybody’s Fool has kept that up. But it’s after that, things begin to slowly, but surely make their way downhill. The band begin to slow down, and while this only helps Amy Lee’s vocal delivery be used to it’s fullest, the rest of the band don’t have a great deal else to do. Songs like My Immortal drags the album down somewhat and the band’s seeming unwillingness to go back to the heavier side which they could do so well with disappoints

However, and I’m aware I’m contradicting myself here, but the best song on the album is one of the slower ones. Imaginary manages to balance its two roles absolutely perfectly. Its verses consist of a piano against a minimalist drumbeat. However, instead of remaining quiet for the whole song, the chorus becomes all out chaos. And to add to this, the third verse consists of strings, a piano and Amy Lee; leading a rather short, yet chaotic solo consisting of guitar against a background of choir singers

The unfortunate thing about this album is that you can see what they’ve tried to achieve, and all credit to them, but they got it half right. The faster, heavier songs are really well thought out and really catchy, so in most respects, with that they hit two birds with one stone. But all of that hard work is decimated by the rather thoughtless and frankly, dull slower songs. I like this in regards to the heavier tracks, and Imaginary , but when push comes to shove, you’re paying ten to fifteen pounds for an album which has 4 good tracks, 3 of which you’ve probably already heard. So, despite the evident effort, they need to either, tighten up and do something with their slower songs. Or when the next album comes out, make sure they’ve capitalised on their heavier tracks, because you can’t rely on Amy to carry them time, after time, after time.

Rating: 2/5

+Pros

Amy Lee’s voice
The heavier and faster songs
Imaginary

-Cons

Slower songs
Constant reliance on Amy to carry song
Not a lot of replay value

Muse The ResistanceThe Fall of Troy Phantom on the Horizon
City and Colour SometimesThrice Red Sky
The Fratellis Costello MusicMuse Showbiz
3.3

metallicaman8
June 10th 2006

Good review. I pretty much agree with the rating.

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 10th 2006

God does this band annoy the piss out of me. However, Amy Lee does have a fantastic voice. Good review to boot. :thumb:This Message Edited On 06.10.06

Neoteric
June 10th 2006

Chugging out the reviews tonight I see?

Another good review.

Syncratic
June 10th 2006

Amy Lee has a great voice.

Other than that, can't really say I like her all that much. I think the band were a bit full of themselves to make the cover of the album the face of their vocalist only.

Music isn't bad, though.

niobium
June 10th 2006

My Immortal is still a song I'd like to hear on the radio.

Otisbum

1912 Comments

I love the first 3 songs, like the 4th, and don't really listen to the rest. With that in mind, I wouldn't be able to give a complete opinion of the album. But if it were an EP only including the first 4 songs, I would give it a 4.5.

Nice album, awesome review.

Shattered_Future
June 10th 2006

I never really got into that song much...

Love your use of analogies in the review though. :lol:. Good job...I think the album deserves maybe a 2.5/5, but no higher. It's too samey, though there are some amazing tracks on here. Imaginary being the key example...I love that song.

I remember hearing Bring Me To Life about 2 or 3 months before this album came out, and I loved every minute of it. While the appeal of it has worn off on me, it's still a decent song. Other than those two, though, there's nothing standoutish on here.

Iluvatar
June 10th 2006

Definition of the genre I like to call medioXcore.

June 10th 2006

Stop pestering me to vote and comment okay? Here ya go, nice review yadayada.

please deleteThis Message Edited On 06.10.06

June 10th 2006

i didn't pester you, i just said i had this up, calm down boyo

June 10th 2006

[quote=]·$4,1 ·$#BF0005,0·#Don't waste you're time or time will waste you·$4,1·# ·0 says:
so, you gonna comment my evanescence review
'tis a good 'un apparently
Happiness, is a warm gun. (bang, bang, shoot, shoot) says:
green day
what about them
Happiness, is a warm gun. (bang, bang, shoot, shoot) says:
your green day review
i see
ta much
i done evanescence as well[/quote]

Suuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee.

June 10th 2006

well, we know what you're like for not noticing stuff don't we

What's that mean?

June 10th 2006

sigh, never mind, lets get back to the review, you're talking to me on msn after all...

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

What?
Nice review man, more or less agree with the rating.

Honeymoon_Croon

Nice review.
I absolutely love Amy's voice on this record. That probably bumped it up a lot for me. Some of it is a bit repetitive, but I think overall it's a good album. I'm curious to see what they'll pull out next, considering it's been years since this release.

pattern_recognition
June 11th 2006

I don't care what anyone says, Bring Me To Life is one of the best-written pop songs I've ever heard, and just an all around great song.
The album is meh though.

Killtacular
June 11th 2006

You're all silly. This album is good.

*killtacular loses 20 cool points*

i'm ashamed that i used to like this :|