Frightened Rabbit
Recorded Songs

by Nicholas von Goatfuck USER (3 Reviews)
October 3rd, 2017 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I must be a masochist

A statement from the Frightened Rabbit website on the Recorded Songs EP:

“These three songs seemed to exist happily next to one another, so it made sense to place them on an EP instead of wedging them into an album on which they didn’t fit. These are not B-sides or ‘bonus tracks’. These are songs that still fill us with the same feelings that our albums can, and we’re happy that they now have a place to live.”

Recorded Songs is so very short, but makes the most of its ten minute runtime. These three songs certainly do belong with each other as the band claims. However, I wouldn't say the triplets are particularly happy together. They burn slow and sound like a rainy day. "Roadless" starts off the EP with lyrics seemingly about the boredom and apathy we all experience from time to time in our mundane lives: “I turned off the road because I was bored / Because I was empty and we all need filling up / I’d been running on petrol fumes and enough was not enough / So I walked heel to my toes / On the wire between carefree and not caring at all.” Track two, "How It Gets In", features a lovely performance from Julien Baker providing mostly back-up vocals. "Rained On" ends the EP on a cathartic note: “I don’t plan on feeling empty for any longer than a month / If California needs a drink, I’ll be joining her for one.” Recorded Songs contains elements that Frightened Rabbit fans are very familiar with: acoustic guitar, piano, electric guitars running through effect pedals, and ethereal keyboards. Of course Grant Hutchison is still behind the drums, and while previous works show he’s capable of digging deep into his kit, he leans toward restraint here. A bit of a step backward stylistically, the EP strays from the up-front use of electronic effects that pervaded Painting of a Panic Attack, and comes in with more of a singer-songwriter aesthetic.

I liken Recorded Songs to a nice little gift found in the mail. An unexpected but pleasant surprise. However, I think it only serves to whet the appetite for another full-length that won’t come for quite some time. If this is some form of torture, I must be a masochist.

October 3rd 2017

review #2. i might find myself doing this more often.

Digging: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

BlackwaterPork

More often please

Digging: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

BlushfulHippocrene

1914 Comments

Very nicely and neatly written, Adolf, fantastic job. I do think a little too much of the write-up is recounting - both directly and indirectly - the EP, and I would've liked a bit more analysis/criticism. But that's only because what little of it is here I find really, really interesting, and immensely enjoyable. Would love to see you do more of these. One thing, though:

-- These three songs certainly do exist happily next to each other, though “happily” may not be the right word.

I understand what you mean here, but I do think it could have been expressed a little better. You sort of say that happily is the right word, and then immediately say that it isn't. Something like "...though "happily" may not be as apt a description for the music itself". Just something to make it clear you've changed focus, you know?

But anyway, this was great, posss.

October 3rd 2017

I actually don't like midnight organ

October 3rd 2017

@blackwater Ayyy, nice of you to say. Ill see what i can do.

@blush thank you, i appreciate all the feedback. Changed the "happily" part. As for the first part of your comment, i get where youre coming from, but i just didnt have much more to say, you know? Plus most people who are new to a band are going to start with a full-length, so i wrote a review mainly with those already into them in mind. Because of that, it being familiar territory, and its very short length, i didnt feel the need to get into a ton of detail. But even so, youre probably right, it could have used more analysis. Ill keep that in mind for my next review. Just gotta live and learn.

BlackwaterPork

Digging: Looming - Seed

AngryJohnny

Nice, Rained on is lovely

October 3rd 2017

I think How It Gets In might be my favorite with Rained On very close behind.