Cain [RUS]
Child of Cold

by Scuro CONTRIBUTOR (79 Reviews)
September 21st, 2017 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Russian winter in a snow globe.

There’s something about counterfeits attempting to mimic and preserve the authentic that I find moderately morbid in an oddly charming way. It's a more direct association when taxidermy pets or post-mortem portraits are concerned, yet this curiosity isn’t limited to the morose and moribund. Identifying that same feeling in the plastic textures of Child of Cold goes some way towards explaining why it captivates me so. Through a carefully woven mix of das Unheimliche topped with a generous helping of sentiment, Cain constructs a bright and frosty landscape that's near indistinguishable from the real deal at a perfunctory glance. It all makes for a cheery sight, until suddenly you wander too far and meet a painted backdrop head on, and the whirring of a snow machine comes sharply into focus while a cardboard cut-out igloo sways precariously at the touch. Rattling sleigh bells recall christmas themes, whistling wind samples dance through tundras built from cheap percussion, and lo-fi melodies serve as index fingers, firmly stretching the corners of this façade’s mouth into a forced grin. I mention all this not to undersell the experience, only to frame my love for it. When I think about the albums that stick with me, its not melodies or techniques that I recall. I remember where they take me. Child of Cold holds a special place because it exposes this ordinarily seamless fabrication; it's a reconstructed winter wonderland stitched together from synthesised instrumental emulations. This isn’t a Hollywood movie scene, rather it's a clandestine stage play, one where I'm both participant and audience member. There’s little else to impart about this demo, and if someone tunes in merely to discover a bunch of dated midi effects compiled by an amateur I'd concede that it’s a perfectly valid assessment. However, buried deep within its melancholic elation, past the props and curtains, lies the potential for so much more.

Russkaja KosmopoliturboSpongeBob SquarePants The Yellow Album
Drudkh / Paysage d'Hiver Somewhere Sadness Wanders / Schnee (IV)Mortiis Crypt of the Wizard
Mortiis Født til å HerskeRaevJager Raevult!
4.3

September 20th 2017

This is a weird one I know, but I guess I revealed a little bit about how I judge music at times. Either way I hope someone else enjoys this album, hopefully my odd description does the job (: Would anyone believe that it took me three days to try and articulate?

Digging: Rabor - ?????????

September 21st 2017

This sounds sweeeeeeet. Jamming now. m/

Digging: Mur - Heartworn

verdant
September 21st 2017

good review as per scuro u got style boiiii
also your central conceit here is intriguing. i'll probably check this later!

September 21st 2017

Idk if I quite understand the concept of dungeon synth but I'm def digging this.

Conmaniac

19098 Comments

this is crazy descriptive nice shit scuro. love the idea of having songs transport you places, definitely have that in common!

Hawks thanks for checking this, all the better that you enjoy it so much too (:

Cheers Jack, hope you find something to like about it if you give it a whirl.

BlackwaterPork
September 21st 2017

I'm gonna listen to this, great reveiw

Digging: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

Hawks thanks for checking this, all the better that you enjoy it so much too (:

Yeah bro this is awesome. Checking out Depressive Silence as we speak too.

September 21st 2017

Great choice, if you end up liking what you hear I can give you a bunch of recs if you'd like.

Con and BWP thanks for reading (:

September 21st 2017

Yeah bro you can give me some recs either way lol. I'm always open to suggestions!

September 21st 2017

hawks getting into dungeon synth
good sight

welcome to the best genre

Digging: Seikima-II - From Hell with Love

September 21st 2017

You can throw me some recs too if you want Ovrot bro.

Wongraven - Fjelltronen
Cedamus - Song Of The Forest
Hedge Wizard - More True Than Time Thought
Dolch - Tiefes Firmament
Valor - La Lune Noire
Old Sorcery - Realms of Magickal Sorrow

You're the man. m/

September 21st 2017

I'd think you'd really like the Cedamus one.
Enjoy the frosty synths hawks.

Will do brother.

BlackwaterPork
September 21st 2017

What a fun album this is

September 21st 2017

Glad you liked it man (:

butcherboy
September 21st 2017

more russian stuff! Love the one paragraph stylings, Scuro.. mental pos

Digging: Scratch Acid - The Greatest Gift

OOOOOOh. Sounds funs.

A minute into it and I already feel like a clown's gonna stab me to death. #GOOSEBUMPS

Digging: Flesh Field - Strain