Vacivus

by Jacquibim STAFF
September 20th, 2017 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Riffs.

By the opening measures of “Towards Infinite Chasms”, Vacivus' Temple of The Abyss already had me grinning with vice, with the guitarists wringing every last ounce of grisliness from simple lines of melody. I won't lie, this first proper track made the oh-so-spooky prelude feel a little superfluous; the band are simply good enough at mood-building to do away with such clichés, but you'd have to be a real stickler (like me) to dwell on that.

Once Vacivus delve into the meat of their opus, however, there is neither reason nor chance to look back. Songs race forward like a baton being passed from riff to riff in one swift, well-choreographed move after another. What's more is that while the band may not have the most varied skill set, they've honed their modest arsenal of techniques to a tee. A good portion of this album hinges on the ever-reliable tremolo-picked riff, which forms the backbone of tracks like “Oubliette” and “Black Flame Serpent”. Though by no means compositional wonders, these faster tracks capitalise on the tension built up by the others encompassing them. Elsewhere, there are glints of pseudo-doom and death 'n' roll, as well as a number of solos that occupy some kind of uncanny valley between the manic and melodic.

Otherwise, there isn't too much to dissect here; it's very much an “in-the-moment” experience, fortified as much by sheer viscera as it is by fluid song-writing. Naturally, the producers' work has a big stake in album's charm, having rendered every note and chord with a film of aural grime that old school death metal can't do without. It's dirty and coarse but also dynamic and fleshed out, with the drumming being the ultimate beneficiary. The wave forms are given headroom enough that every point of contact feels tangible, which is a nice touch given that the performance itself a lot more dexterous than you might expect of an OSDM revival product. Of course, you don't need me to tell you Vacivus aren't doing anything new here, but that's not their goal; Temple of The Abyss just a no bullshit array of metallic fervour, sure to satisfy any fan of its ilk.

Archspire Relentless MutationInanimate Existence Underneath A Melting Sky
Incantation Profane NexusImpetuous Ritual Blight Upon Martyred Sentience
Suffocation …Of the Dark LightEnsemble Organum Chants de l'Eglise de Rome [Pérès]

Jacquibim

sweet beans

Digging: No Clear Mind - Mets

BlackwaterPork
September 20th 2017

Great review, gonna check this

Digging: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

Ovrot

nice a pone review

Digging: Seikima-II - From Hell with Love

BigHans
September 20th 2017

Probably the best summary ever

Wizard

20111 Comments

I've had this for a week now (love PL and being Canadian : p). Haven't made up my mind yet but it feels like you're finally in the "right zone" with dm on this one Jac ; ).

ffs
September 21st 2017

these lads are from my home town, never listened to them tho

Insurrection

Probably the best summary ever [2]

Digging: Protest the Hero - Pacific Myth

MarsKid
September 21st 2017

I haven't seen you around in a while Insurrection, yo

And this is a great example of a brief review, nice job

Digging: Planes Mistaken for Stars - Up In Them Guts

19013 Comments

Riffs.

kingdedethefifth
September 21st 2017

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffffffffffffffsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
sounds cool man

RedRightHand
September 22nd 2017

Riff salad, mmmmm tasty!

Voivod
September 22nd 2017

Rite of Ascension was/is great, how does this one fare in comparison?

Digging: Urarv - Aurum

StarlessCore
September 24th 2017

dam this bangs

DungeonBoy
September 28th 2017

Good review, but to be honest this is a solid 3. It's pretty uninteresting and run of the mill. It also falls short of achieving any sort of dark atmosphere it's clearly aiming for. The solos are pretty amazing and should be commended. It has some moments, but overall there are tons of other bands doing this better.

I did just finish listening to Venenum - Trance of Death which I would recommend in a heartbeat over this.

Digging: Kauan - Kaiho