Stretch Arm Strong
Free At Last

good

by Ian (Storm) USER (106 Reviews)
June 9th, 2006 | 3 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

You know the football jock that attends all the high school parties, but the only thing is he graduated four years ago and itís kind of pitiful heís there? Thatís basically how Stretch Arm Strong is in the music business. Theyíve been around for twelve years now and somewhat had an influential part of the punk/hardcore scene for a while, but then they fucked up big time with 2003ís, ďEngage". Everyone figured that they had packed up after that and likely gotten day jobs to support them. Nay. In comes 2005 as well as a Stretch Arm Strong album, distributed by a major label too (Warner Bros.). Itíd be easy to assume that the band is trying to cling on to some past greatness, much like the twenty-two year old jock attending the high school parties, but itís not like that, entirely at least. ďFree At Last" is an album that displays the bands hardcore and punk roots, but at the same time injects catchy choruses to make it easier to listen to. ďThe Hardest Part" genuinely shows this. The beginning combines both aspects of punk and hardcore, but soon settles down with a nice guitar melody and singing before getting extremely heavy again. It really is an enjoyable album on the first couple listens, but things get boring and repetitive after a while. Not even the final, acoustic song, ďA Time For Peace", can really alleviate the dullness. Itís clear though that this is Stretch Arm Strongís last album. Frontman Chris McLane has said that repeatedly in interviews and from certain lyrics it would make sense. Itís sad to say that this isnít a masterpiece for it being the bands final album, but at least there is some fun to be had.

Super Snake Leap of Love2 Chainz Daniel Son; Necklace Don
Senses Fail From the Depths of DreamsZ-Ro Cocaine
Emery The Weak's EndPapa Roach Old Friends From Young Years

Oasis Writer
June 9th 2006

My words exactly.

Kashmir09
February 6th 2010

Album is pretty awful. My friend told me they sounded a bit like Thursday, and in a way he was right, but they are a watered down, fried version of Thursday if anything

wewillbelegends
July 2nd 2010

I disagree fully. This album is amazing and close to being their best. The style change was nice after Engage, although I don't think Engage was terrible.