Stella Donnelly
Thrush Metal

by jack CONTRIBUTOR (58 Reviews)
September 12th, 2017 | 46 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Candid

The guitar that carries this EP is quiet and solivagant, but it is enough. Sometimes, when it feels like it might buckle under the gravitas -- the sheer and ugly weight -- of the words it holds up, it slows down just a second, catching its breath before hoisting the cross back on its shoulders. And, Jesus Christ, I love it. I love how the music here is as candid as the portrait adorning the album cover, I love how her voice is as intrinsic to her message as the words, and I love how much significance is bestowed upon the empty space. The record works because it places these simple ideas carefully inside a glass box; after all, these ideas are perfectly capable of speaking for themselves.

Boys Will Be Boys starts like it's backed into a corner. As long as there are people out there “…deaf to the word ‘no’”, there’ll be a burning necessity for songs like this. It’s touched and shaped and bent into a strikingly real piece of music by an experience that should never have happened. But it ends up switching positions with that experience; by haranguing “you” -- the execrable impetus -- Donnelly bridges the divide between the listener (who is, by and large, safe from the pain and the complicity) and the victim. Technically, it’s a small shift in perspective, but I think it transforms these stories into something more: lessons, calls to action, mirrors.

And of course Boys Will Be Boys is followed by Mean To Me -- winner of most endearing Yo Mamma joke and sweetest vibrato ever. But the tenderness of Mean... doesn’t undermine what comes before it; it coyly delivers its central lyric as though it’s comic relief, like it’s an anaesthetic intended for comfort and reassurance. The dynamic here is a beautiful, carefully considered one. It’s leads me to believe that Stella is every single one of her friends’ favourite singer-songwriter, with the only bias being what is engendered by the songs themselves. I said these ideas are capable of speaking for themselves, which is true -- to an extent -- but it’s the voice communicating them that makes this EP worth returning to. It’s a voice both fragile and commanding, smart enough to know when it’s appropriate to drop a ‘fuck’ and stunning enough to make these experiences seem universal even when they are, realistically, impossible to relate to. It’s a lovely thing to hold onto, even when it’s threatening to break down strictly because of something you did.

Hundred Waters CommunicatingGodspeed You! Black Emperor Luciferian Towers
Pospulenn Sun People SleepwalkerThe Pains of Being Pure at Heart The Echo of Pleasure
Wiki No Mountains In ManhattanBrockhampton Saturation 2
3.3

cryptologous
September 12th 2017

4.5 for music or album art?

Cute review loverboy.

sincerelyaural
September 12th 2017

Two fire alarms jolted me awake this morning but at least I lived to read jack reviews for another day

danielcardoso
September 12th 2017

The album cover is the sweetest thing i've seen all day, and possibly all week, and possibly more.

Haven't read yet but i'm sure it's lovely as always, my good friend : )

September 12th 2017

henlo u beautiful humans thanks for stopping by also please listen to ep it's very pretty and important.

ramon: yes

Dewinged
September 12th 2017

Dat cover, dat album title. Nice.

Digging: Toothless - The Pace of the Passing

September 12th 2017

*extremely wines voice* **extremely claire voice** indeed

MarsKid
September 12th 2017

Not bad not bad, might check

Digging: Perturbator - New Model

September 12th 2017

definitely will* check, you mean? ^___^

MarsKid
September 12th 2017

Ha, we'll see. I've got to get through a lot of other shit first.

September 12th 2017

all good! let me know what you think if you do :-]

danielcardoso
September 12th 2017

Took care of the tracklist for you bud : )

And yeah this is tearing me apart atm, by which i mean it's amazing of course.

henryChinaski

Artwork of the year.

Conmaniac
September 12th 2017

ayy love this cashual review (see what I did there??). this I might have to check soon

AsleepInTheBack
September 12th 2017

I know I say this every damn time, but man your reviews are just the best. That 'cross' line segwaying into the 'Jesus Christ' line is cute. And that 'glass box' line.
Also yeah, damn, that album art is adorable.

September 12th 2017

you say it every damn time but it never loses it's impact :')

thanks much love all

Chortles

20589 Comments

album art, review and u are all aww :') very good stuff

Digging: DJ Sprinkles - Midtown 120 Blues

Chortles

20589 Comments

and THANK U for teaching me the word solivagant bc wow that is great. but is it even real bc SPELLCHECK thinks otherwise . .. .

September 12th 2017

*freaks out momentarily and heads to google to make sure i didn't make it up* NO it's really really real i promise!!!

(as always, thank you, you're great etc etc)

butcherboy
September 12th 2017

a short and sweet one. lovely work..

Digging: Rip Rig Panic - God