Boston
Boston

by AeroZeppelin1 USER (23 Reviews)
June 8th, 2006 | 31 replies

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Well now if there ain't a better band to replicate the greatest sound of the 70's, it's Boston. Combining a high pitched yet strong singer along with some great guitarist and the master mind of it all, Tom Scholz. By the time of the release of their first album the 70's were dominated by such bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Aerosmith. But their first album became a big suprise, by becoming one of the fastest selling debut albums ever only to be outdone by few such as Guns N' Roses debut album "Appetite for Destruction". After the release it might seem as Boston would become the next legendary band to take the throne from the likes of Led Zeppelin. Though, changes would happen and things went differently their first album is one to always remember.

Boston is...

Brad Delp (Vocals)
Tom Scholz (Guitars)
Barry Goudreau (Guitars)
Fran Sheenan (Bass)
Sib Hassian (Drums)

1. More Than a Feeling (4:44)
The anthemic opener remains to be one of the greatest songs ever. Starting with some acoustic guitars and then into a wave of electric chords comes Brad Delp with some amazing singing. At one point, he gets so high it's just unbelievable, yet he does a good job of maintaining a good sound to his singing. The lyrics are excellent and overall it's just one of those 70's masterpieces. 5/5

2. Peace of Mind (5:02)
Maybe the biggest radio hit on the album, it has some catchy guitars and some great lyrics such as; "People livin' in competition, all I want is my peace of mind" and so on. Once again, great singing and it just flows from start to end very well. 5/5

3. Foreplay/Long Time (7:47)
The longest song with two parts to it. The first two or so minutes is an instrumental song with good guitar, keyboard, drumming and all. Then it goes quiet and then comes the electricity we've come to known already from this band. The next part is a straight ahead rocker with a great riff and superb lyrics. It also has a nice mellow feel to it but at the same time it rocks. Just one of those great songs to turn up full blast cruisin' along the highway. 5/5

4. Rock and Roll Band (3:00)
A quick and short rock song with some very catchy lyrics. It has a two guitars playing the riff that blend perfectly making an awesome riff. The song is about how the band kind of came along and are what they were back then. This is just another awesome song on an amazing album. 5/5

5. Smokin' (4:21)
Another straight ahead rocker like the previous song except it has a lot more keyboards included as well as an organ solo. The riff is great and the length of the song is only off by a second to really give the title its meaning. Nothing more to be said, this is a great song. 5/5

6. Hitch a Ride (4:11)
Opening with a great acoustic guitar riff, it contains quite a few tempo changes from soft to hard throughout the song. The lyrics are beautiful and so is the perfect ending. Maybe the most underated song on the album. 5/5

7. Something About You (3:48)
Another big time radio hit from the album, really wasn't as catchy as the rest of the songs from the album but once you really start to like it, it's a great song to enjoy. The lyrics are great and so is the great melodic riff. 5/5

8. Let Me Take You Home Tonight (4:43)
Staring right off the bat with an interesting drum beat, it really is a slow melodic song with some good singing along with some great lyrics. It picks up the pace towards the end of the song and really has a lot of energy going by the end. Another underated song on the album and one to really jam out too. 5/5

In the end, every song is perfect to me, there ain't too many albums with a set of eight perfect singles to make such an amazing album. Too bad Tom Scholz had to take another direction with the music and the band after this album, because Boston could of done even greater things considering what they did alone with just this album. But anyways, unless you just plain don't like Boston, I can't see why you'd not like this album and every song on it. Well, that wraps up this review on a true masterpiece of an album.

Eagles Hotel CaliforniaLynyrd Skynyrd Second Helping
Lynyrd Skynyrd Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-NerdAerosmith Rocks
Van Halen Van HalenVan Halen 1984
4.3
Austin (5)
More than just another band out of Boston....

Psyclone (5)

Andrew Barr (MM8) (5)

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 8th 2006

I don't particularly like this review. It was kind of dull, and it might be me, but this:

[quote=review]Well now if there ain't a better band to replicate the greatest sound of the 70's, it's Boston.[/quote]

wasn't too great of an opening line. Yep.This Message Edited On 06.08.06

metallicaman8
June 8th 2006

Pretty meh review. I'm not going to neg you though. This is one of my all-time favourite albums.This Message Edited On 06.08.06This Message Edited On 06.08.06

Ephemeral
June 8th 2006

Ultimate chill out album right here.

June 8th 2006

i think the first line is a tongue twister for me

June 8th 2006

yeah, now that i read it over, that first line is actually quite bad. I think i did ok on the rest though, wether you disagree or agree or whatever.

June 8th 2006

Aw, I wanted Jom's review. Ah well.

This is pretty much a classic, oneof my favorites form the era. Peace of Mind is my current favorite.This Message Edited On 08.31.06

Digging: Wil Wagner - Laika

Zesty Mordant
June 8th 2006

I don't care how much of a smug indie kid you are, you know love "More Than a Feeling", and for good reasons.
That song is just a pure fist-pumper.

metallicaman8

I liked Foreplay. Killer keyboard intro

alrighty thx...will do

JohnXDoesn't
June 8th 2006

I admire the studio know how of Tom Scholz, but this is dismal, bland, boring, slick, faceless arena rock at it's worst. What the hell were they trying to accomplish with this dreck? Simply dreadful. Please Boston, keep your hands off the rock n roll! I thought the review was fine for a track by track. Kind of thin, but then again how much can one say about this poo? A band as boring and unoriginal as it's name. "Hey guys, let's name our band San Diego", lmao....This Message Edited On 06.08.06

June 8th 2006

I dont find it very boring...or bland for that matter. It all opinions though
The band name is pretty unoriginal though, like Kansas, Europe and Asia...

heh I knew you didn't like this one though, JXD :pThis Message Edited On 08.31.06

JohnXDoesn't
June 8th 2006

^^Yeah, I forgot to add just my opinion as I rolled off my litany of negative music critic cliche. Don't kill the messanger! This Message Edited On 06.08.06

thatchriskid86
June 8th 2006

great album, i didn't think the review was bad either

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

alright reveiw and a great album but why would you put 5/5 for everything?

June 8th 2006

Thats where the 'classic' part comes in. And thats just what the reviewer thought.This Message Edited On 06.08.06

June 8th 2006

yeah, i lvoe every song to know end, i try to keep opinion on reviews low but i think i couldnt help myself on this one, hehe.

Bfhurricane
June 13th 2006

Perfect album. Cant describe it better than that.

BludgeonySteve
June 13th 2006

This is very close to a flawless album. Definitely a classic and one of my favorite albums.

Good interview as well.

June 24th 2006

god i love this album.

ktstein
June 30th 2006

Mudvaynian...you should have saved comment #666 for a more "fitting" album than Boston's ST album. In any case, this album is just plain good. Solid guitars and song structures, great singing, and, in case anyone didnt know, Tom Schloz (i think that's how you spell it) the lead guitarist and brains of this band went to MIT. Good times...