2Pac
Greatest Hits

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
June 8th, 2006 | 26 replies | 14,227 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Tupac Amaru Shakur was an artist. Many people may scoff that he was ďjust another rapper who got shot." This, however, could not be further from the truth. Was Tupac a rapper? Yes. Does this detract from his achievements as a poet and songwriter? No, not in the slightest. Now, there are also people who will scoff that ďrap isnít music." Well, I hope those people arenít reading this review. They may not be happy with its contents. Itís unfortunate that people have to let ridiculous stereotypes and racial tensions influence their taste in music. Now, this humble reviewer isnít hinting at anything. I just want to write some words in tribute to a man who is quite possibly the greatest hip-hop artist of all time.

Even if you look past all of the controversy surrounding Mr. Shakur and his music, thereís no doubting that the main was a commercial success. His fourteen albums (released both during his lifetime and posthumously ) have sold a combined 73 million copies worldwide, 44.5 million of those being in the United States alone. He has had seventeen top singles in the U.S. Consistently, he is mentioned by both those in and outside of the hip-hop industry as being one of the greatest rappers of all time. A 2006 poll conducted on MTV.com, ranked him the second greatest MC (mic controller) of all time (after Jay-Z). On top of this, Tupac released several live accapella albums and collections of poetry. In 1997, the Shakur Family Foundation (now known as the Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation or TASF) was founded, in the interests of ďproviding training and support for students who aspire to enhance their creative talents." The TASF sponsors essay contests, charity events, a performing arts day camp, and undergraduate scholarships. Needless to say, Tupacís legacy is one of aiding young artists and poets, as well as one of helping the underprivileged. Thatís more than I can say about the posterity of most rappers.

But all that is aside the point. The point of a music review, after all, is the music. Tupacís Greatest Hits album features the best of Mr. Shakur as a gangsta rapper, poet, and ghetto prophet. Songs that range from being messages about violence and poverty, to anecdotes about life on the street, speak verses that have far deeper meanings than what you hear or read into the lyrics. Of course, this compilation has plenty of lighthearted, straight-up hip-hop moments. Naturally, like any good disc from this genre, Tupacís Greatest Hits features an all-star cast of guests. Said cast consists of: Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Dru Down, Top Dogg, Syke, CPO, The Outlawz, Val Young, Nate Dogg, The Black Angel, Danny Boy, K-Ci & JoJo, Dave, Roniece, Roger Troutman, Eric "Kenya" Baker (guitar); The Piano Man (keyboards); Puff Johnson, Thug Life, Digital Underground, Stretch, Stacey Smallie, and Shock-G. It seems as though quite a few people contributed to 2pacís career.

Greatest Hits features twenty-one of 2pacís top tracks (many being slightly edited due to legality issues), as well as four previously unreleased songs. The songs were placed in nonchronological across two discs, thus to better capture the changes in view and attitude that 2pac went through during the trials and tribulations of his life. The compilation delivers exactly what it promises: a collection of fantastic song, as well as excellent unreleased tracks. Itís as simple as that. Posthumous songs, albums, etc. are usually released simply as marketing schemes for record companies to pocket just a little extra money off of an artistís legacy. Thatís just not the case with 2pacís Greatest Hits.

While listening to either of these two compact discs, I can almost guarantee you that youíll feel a sense of regret. The music contained here is going to make you wish that the world hadnít been robbed of such a fantastic performer so early. Throughout each of the songs, 2pacís deep, distinctive growl overlays fun, groove infused beats, as he raps, sings, and talks his way through a variety of subjects. The two discs shift from just songs about happiness and general debauchery, to dark, oftentimes extremely violent tunes. This helps to accentuate the nonchronological feel of the complication: itís the perfect way to experience just how moody 2pac could be.

Youíve got pop classics such as ďCalifornia Love," ďAll About You," and ďHow Do You Want," among others. These are songs that represent the lighter side of 2pacís rapping. Tracks like this donít really feel as deep, or seem to have a message to them, but they are more accessible, and therefore are an easier listen. This is the 2pac that you blast out of you carís stereo while driving through the country. Conversely, both discs have their own selections of dark, brutal content, that may shock and appallÖwell, almost anyone. Perhaps the most evident example of these tunes would be ďHit ĎEm Up." A song previously unreleased before this compilation, ďHit ĎEm UP" is pure, unadulterated rage focused into a song. Still, itís extremely impassioned, coercive work, even if it is wrapped in a package of pure hatred.

You also find yourself with a variety of songs that showcase Tupac Amaru Shakur, the poet. ďDear Moma," a tribute to his mother [Afeni Shakur] is a very emotive, powerful song, that features 2pacís ability to channel life events into excellently written poems or songs. ďKeep Ya Head" up is something of a fusion between the poppier aspects of 2pacís music and the soulful verses that he had a knack for writing. Then, you have selections like ď2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted" [ft. Snoop Dogg], which are good examples of 2pacís relationship with fellow Death Row Records rappers. This bond would be furthered strengthened due to Death Rowís ďwar" with its East Coast counterpart, Bad Boy Records. Many of 2pacís songs were based off of experiences in this feud (most notable among these being the aforementioned ďHit ĎEm Up").

Of course, thereís also the mystical ďGod Bless The Dead." For a long time, this song was believed to eulogize longtime enemy of 2pacís, rapper Biggie Smalls aka Notorious B.I.G.. However, the song is dedicated to another rapper of the same name (its especially outlandish to consider the former as a possibility, as that Biggie Smalls passed away six months after 2pac; however, this is also a minor stalwart in the debate that 2pac is actually alive, and in recluse). ďBrendaís Got A Baby" is a prophetic song about the decline of a young girl from a ghetto, who 2pac believes could have grown to be something, had she not been tied down by pregnancy at the tender age of twelve.

The highlight of 2pacís Greatest Hits is by far his most successful posthumous release (and one of his most successful releases period): the heart-rending ďChanges." If ever there was a pinnacle of 2pacís monstrous talent, it was somewhere in-between the writing and recording of this song. ďChanges" is a wonderful song, combining fantastic piano and backing vocals, with 2pacís excellent vocal work and lyrics. ďChanges" has become one of 2pacís most famous songs, and rightfully so. If you only ever decide to listen to one song from this man, make sure itís ďChanges." I say this only because I can almost guarantee that this track will entice you to listen to more of 2pacís works.

2pac was hardly a saint, though. Throughout his Greatest Hits youíll hear plenty of profanity and detestably suggestive themes. Also, as well-structured as his songs could be at times, on occasion, production values and overall instrumentation are rather poor, which detracts from the overall immersiveness of this experience. Needless to say, his Greatest Hits arenít perfect.

Iím forced to admit, though, when prompted for suggestions about rap, I usually respond with three artists/groups: NWA, Deltron 3030, and 2pac. If inquired further about 2pac, I usually recommend that the person check out his Greatest Hits first and foremost. While this compilation isnít perfect, I believe that it is the greatest example of the varying spheres of 2pacís life and career. The overall feeling of the album is simply incredible. If you love rap, poetry, or even music in general, you owe it to yourself to give the late Tupac Amaru Shakur a listen. You might just be surprised at what you hear.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me
4.2

Brain Dead
June 8th 2006

Great, great review. I also agree with Changes being his best song, it's just incredible. This is the only 2pac album I have from before his death, but I also have Resurrections and Loyal to the Game. For people who have only heard his posthumous albums: the albums that were released during his life blow them away easily. Again, superb review.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Niice review. Another 2Pac review, even better. I need more of his music, I think I actually don't mind some rap.

Bron-Yr-Aur
June 8th 2006

Great job Hep, er... Dan. Another great review.

Iluvatar

...Hep...are...you...jewish!?!?!?

And awesome review Dan. This is the only Tupac album I still own, and its solid stuff.

'EDIT: Ack, I confused ewski with -witz, shit.This Message Edited On 06.08.06

Rocksta71
June 8th 2006

Not a fan of rap, but Tupac had some good songs.
Great review man!

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

My name's not Dan...:upset:

superpeer
June 8th 2006

This is a nice compilation.

form
June 10th 2006

Great review, 2pac is what got me into rap a few years back, after I heard 'Changes' and 'Ghost', I really started listening to rap.

I have all his albums plus some bootlegs/misxtapes :cool:

"Freshly Baked"
June 10th 2006

Probably the greatest Rap GH collection ever.

Yet, I just cant bring myself to give any greatest hits collection a 5.

metallicaman8

Hepcat you beast. Monster review :thumb:

Storm In A Teacup
June 10th 2006

Nice review. I've never heard a Tupac song.

temporary

Fantastic review.

cbmartinez
June 10th 2006

Good album. I'm probably gonna review All Eyez On Me and Thug Life Volume 1 soon.

burton.and.gas
June 10th 2006

this i a good review, im nt much int tupac but i dot dislikerap. Im more of a NWA and Public Enemy kinda guy. I think you may have overdone your praise of him a bit, but i guess i that what you believe you may as well say it.

Laafe
June 10th 2006

why does he spell it tupac sometimes but 2pac others?

surp23
June 10th 2006

He is a legend and his words live forever in his music. Today's rap artists should look back and reflect on the things that he said. Including respecting women (Dear Mama) and problems in the world today (Changes).

fenderstratocaster22
June 10th 2006

just because someone doesnt like rap music doesnt mean that they are a rascist and a biggot, some people just think it sucks because it lacks talent

Jim
June 11th 2006

I'm not really into rap, but jeez Hit 'Em Up is a good song. He did have some good 'uns.

FA
June 11th 2006

Is 2pac hip-hop? i always assumed rap and hip-hop had different meanings......good review hep.

WilliaMega
May 7th 2010

Hip Hop is a culture,

break dancing, Graphitti, MC'ing or rapping, and DJ'ing.

Rapping is part of Hip Hop so people just call it hip-hop. There's no real identified sub-genre of Rap. Some use a distinction between hip hop or rap depending on if they thinks its art or true expression of ones self. Hip Hop being the art.